ID:109195

So, I've made this post before, but deleted it. The comments were turned against me, and I just felt attacked.

To explain the situation, I'll start by introducing myself. I am Alexander, and I work on a game called Pokemon Origins. Now, what happened was there was a player of the game who got banned named Kamu, age 14. He went off and whined to a friend of his, Visser Three. Visser Three then decided to attack the server, saying it would remain down as long as Kamu remained banned.

At first, I did not believe him, as it could have been coincidence that the server had gone down when he claimed he had done it. However, it happened again, and again, each with a different host.

Host Statments:

Shane says:
Well. It wasn't just Origins. Everything was being slowed down, my browser said it was going to take 24 days to download a 44 mb file, and my download speed was 0.1 kb/s, and dropping. Which it's obviously never been. But, I also didn't notice any phantom logins.

Shane says:
Well, another thing that I think might be an indication, I had closed the ports that I had forwarded for byond, the 2003, 2004, 2005 etc ports that I was hosting Origins on, and shortly after that all of that lag stopped.

Dipic says:
Someone really dislikes your game, or Verizon is just happening to have issues.
I can barely ping Google from my network.
Feels like a DoS, but I don't know my way around the router to tell for sure, plus I'm going out.

Dipic says:
My entire network is down, and it's not something internal causing it.
It's either Verizon messing up
or a DoS
My router couldn't even be pinged from outside.
Also, two of my friends locally have Verizon and they were uneffected.

Visser Three has been found to have experience pinging game's servers until they crash, but had in the past only targeted rips. He openly admitted to being the cause for the server being down, in a log showed here:

Visser Three:
Kamu doesn't know what's going on, so he is just going to talk like that.

Alexander:
Alright, well thats some information that I can understand.

Alexander:
Now what about you.

Visser Three:
Well, I caused [the crash] because of Kamu. We agreed [the argument] should die because you feel your better than everyone at everything and the fact Nen or whoever banned him.

Alexander:
I agreed [the argument] should die because it was stupid. Kamu broke a rule, and there are conciquences for that.

Visser Three:
And for everything there is an opposite reaction, you ban him, your server dies.

The reason I am posting this much information is because the last time I presented this to the BYOND community, Visser Three denied these actions, blaming the games construction rather than his own actions. The comments quickly turned against me and the game.

I have approached BYOND and presented this information as well. They've suggested that it may have been the telnet verb. However, from what I understand that only effects the game itself, where as each host's connection was affected. I know they don't dwell in internal affairs of games, but this is rather pressing. I learned how easy it is to DoS attack a BYOND server. I know my game is not the first, but it is also not the last.

So I please urge you to comment on the situation. Give any insight you want to present. Agree with me? Disagree with me? I want some input here people..

And if you've gotten this far through the blog post, kudos to you.

Quite simple really, maintain your firewall more actively.
Dear Alexander,

For a DoS attack, to block it is called packet filtering.

I would suggest you get it if you believe a DoS attack is going through.

-Visser
Wouldn't it be more prudent to talk with your ISP/Server provider if you're being DoS'd instead of the Byond staff?

Players usually get banned when they break rules. Just saying.
Pokemon Serenity now belongs to this tool? Visser?
Correct.
Ahh... Kumorii...

Childish.
Report it to your ISP and they'll investigate it. If it really is him, he will face much more punishment (possible jail time) than a Byond ban.

If your ISP responds that it isn't a DoS attack, then there might be something else wrong.
What Neblim said, these sort of attacks aren't something outside legal punishment.
It brought down the networks of two separate hosts. If the game was at fault, it would not effect their download speed as it did with Shane. Also, Shane closed the ports that he was using for BYOND and the lagging stopped.
I assume you removed the "telnet verb" just to be safe?