ID:1092231

What do you feel about using a strong library or demo that you may not understand some or most of its mechanism? Do you just use it and try to figure it out later?? I personally kinda feel unsatisfied about using a library even if its just doing some text parsing in DM that I can not understand.. starting to wonder if I am going to end up with bunch of other people's code running my game! I admit that it is just the way for a beginner however I think this does not grant much coding experience.. What do you think?
I'd say be careful. It depends on what library you are using, too.

If you think about it, using BYOND is already like using a library that does things you don't understand. Many of us use BYOND because we aren't devoted enough to programming to learn C++ and build a game with it. We get to 'skip' things like drawing graphics to the screen and having multiple players in the game. But it's not a bad thing, it's obviously good for hobbyist developers, even if we don't learn how to program a graphics engine or what have you.

So with libraries, it isn't totally necessary to understand them. If the library is well-made, it will basically give you new functions to use in your program, and will not 'interfere' in any way with the rest of your game. Using a library to do some text parsing sounds fine to me.

Now, if you threw together a bunch of libraries, like character creation, pixel projectiles, dungeon creation, and inventory system, without really knowing how to code those things yourself, you would probably run into some problems. And as a beginner you wouldn't learn about how to do those things so as you said, your coding experience wouldn't be much. So in conclusion, using a few libraries here and there for specific tasks is OK even if you don't fully understand them (try to read through them however). Using a mash of a bunch of different libraries which you don't understand at all to make a game with the least effort possible...not OK
As I see it, it's fine and in fact the intended way to go about the matter, if the libraries meet your needs.

Your issues tend to surround support if you have a problem or hit a bug in the library. A lot of libraries are hit and run, with authors not really supporting them or for old libraries, left BYOND entirely.

I think it just boils down to being practical and picking authors you trust, have reputation and you know are around.
In response to Magicsofa
Magicsofa wrote:
I'd say be careful. It depends on what library you are using, too.

If you think about it, using BYOND is already like using a library that does things you don't understand. Many of us use BYOND because we aren't devoted enough to programming to learn C++ and build a game with it. We get to 'skip' things like drawing graphics to the screen and having multiple players in the game. But it's not a bad thing, it's obviously good for hobbyist developers, even if we don't learn how to program a graphics engine or what have you.

Well that was convincing :P I agree with you in that using a trusted library is quite useful, well, the main aim while using dream maker -for me at least- is to create a game.. I almost forgot that and wanted to learn the language instead (its lovable don't you agree?).