ID:1095589

I haven't been on the forums in at least a couple months. I've been working with C++ and other Graphical APIs and find them more to my suiting than BYOND. I just don't know how or why I decided to turn away from the engine. It may just be it's lack of power compared to C++, but it's undoubtedly where I officially learned the concept of object oriented programming, back when I was 14 and thought Yugioh was cool. I've provided a mastery in DM, although I haven't exactly finished a single project, I do blame that on a lack of motivation.

The things I've learned from everyone on here. Specifically Forum_Account's constant posts on the value of abstraction and libraries. I didn't understand it before, but when I delved deeply into C++ APIs, I now understand what he means. I could care less how a library works, so long as it does.

I'm just so curious about where I should take my ventures. I feel as though I've taken the community and the engine for granted by using it for years but never actually producing a worthy game. I feel like I should at least manage at least one polished project to be enjoyed by the masses, but I'm not sure where to start, or what it should be about.

Lend me your thoughts and ideas. I really want to try giving back to the community I've supported for so long now. And in a way, kinda saying thank you to everyone who's helped me get where I am today.
If you want to professionally make games then go for C++, C# or Java. However it will take extreme amount of time to actually create something.
Right now I'm working with C++, OpenGL, and GLUT. Do you have any other suggestions for a windowing API? I've used SDL and SFML before, but decided that I didn't like SDL pretty quickly. So It's a tossup between using GLUT or SFML. Which one would you prefer?
To create window on Windows: Link
No idea how to create a window on Linux though.

For graphics API you can use OpenGL or DirectX. I'd suggest to use newest available version; OpenGL 4.0 or DirectX 11.

Linux doesn't support DirectX (it's Microsoft thing), only OpenGL.

GLUT, SDL, SFML are only libraries/wrappers/utilities that use OpenGL internally. They're supposed to make things a little easier.
Windowing API's are GLUT and SFML. OpenGL can't natively render a window to draw the objects into. I was just wondering whether you had a personal preference between GLUT or SFML, not how to implement each.
I work on Windows, so I need only 1 function to create window, so I'd never use SFML or GLUT.

For some reason I hate 'shady' stuff like GLUT of SFML.
Don't hold yourself back if you are into "real" programming (no offence byond lol). If I had the time, I would be learning C++. I tried to start several months ago and it was just incredibly sluggish and boring to me. I would need to take classes to learn it, the DIY thing makes it hard to focus and keep motivated. I gave up and came back to BYOND because I had a good amount of experience with DM already.
What do you want to make?
I'm not sure. I've always entertained the idea of a Zombie Survival game, but to be honest, I've always had a severe fascination for MORPG's.
Most MORPGs are made using C++ and DirectX.
Seen two or so (Runescape, Spiral Knights) made with Java (OpenGL)
Can't remember any C#, wouldn't be able to tell difference probably.
Take a deep breath and think about it.. If you want to make a professional looking game, believe me, if by only yourself it might take a very long time (dedicated years on a small good game). This is the reason why there are gaming companies, you need actual professionals for every aspect of a game, story line and events, graphic designing, programming, and even publishing etc etc.. However, here in BYOND creating a game made easy, you only have to worry about your icons (if you are a good programmer), although the community of players is not as big as other communities such as Xbox's for instance, it is still a very respected one for a programmer such as you and myself. If you are unsatisfied with it I would suggest programming Xbox games with C# for individual projects. I remember one day in university there was some game developers showing how to program a game with C# for pc/xbox and it was quite interesting, but for them as individuals the small games like tetris took them quite some time.
It's not hard to make Tetris. For experienced person it'll take less than a full day.
Talking about actually good looking, multiplayer fully functioning, enjoyable tetris .. it has taken them months honestly, considering it an individual work - graphics drawing and whatnot.
Believe me. I know what goes into making an "MMORPG," but I'm just talking about an MO. Not massive in the least. There are several BYOND games which scratch this particular itch for me (NEStalgia being one).
I believe BYOND-type game won't take a lot time to make. There's nothing complex going on. But you never know until you actually try to!
In response to Zaoshi
Zaoshi wrote:
I believe BYOND-type game won't take a lot time to make. There's nothing complex going on. But you never know until you actually try to!

I agree, the challenge here is how to make it interesting and attractive with the resources you have.. I like it much.