ID:110076

Keywords: random_links
This is pretty cool! A group is live streaming as they play the game. Lots of people watching too.

[Edit: the live stream is done for now]
http://justin.tv/spikedapenguin

Also, NEStalgia got mentioned on the latest Destructoid Show, along with BYOND:

Starts at 9 minutes in.
That is truly amazing =D! Hell I wanna film myself playing now Q.Q
This is a great idea!
Wow cannot believe the mentioning of Byond and Nestalgia in the video. Amazing!
I'm super bummed those guys disbanded for the night right before fighting the awesome Catacombs boss. :P
Jaredoggy wrote:
I'm super bummed those guys disbanded for the night right before fighting the awesome Catacombs boss.

I'm super bummed that they didn't try and fight the Shade when it came near them. Seeing their surprise at getting obliterated out of nowhere would have been hilarious.
I watched this until he quit. It was actually pretty illuminating since I never really saw a walkthrough of how combat worked and so forth. This may be dumb question (or something answered in the wiki), but was NEStalgia primarily motivated by a particular game? I know you were a big DragonWarrior fan so I assume that, but since I never played that genre I'm not sure. I can tell you that the combat reminds me so much of my favorite game ever, Wizardry (circa '84) while the mapping and movement looks like my 2nd and 3rd favorite games ever, Ultima III + IV. Maybe those later NES games were inspired by that... I'm too old for even those :)
Tom wrote:
was NEStalgia primarily motivated by a particular game?

Very much inspired by Dragon Warrior 3/4, especially the battle system and overall art style. Final Fantasy 3(j) gameplay plus the cinematic style of the SNES Final Fantasy games also had big influences.

I've had a lot of people tell me that the game is a lot like Phantasy Star, but I've never actually played that series.

Tom wrote:
I can tell you that the combat reminds me so much of my favorite game ever, Wizardry (circa '84) while the mapping and movement looks like my 2nd and 3rd favorite games ever, Ultima III + IV.

I've never played Wizardy, but I loved Ultima: Exodus and Ultima: Avatar! I owned the NES versions when I was a kid. Exodus is probably the most brutally difficult game that I've ever played.
Yeah there were a handful of NES RPG's that used that style, Ultima, Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, Faria, etc. They all had that overworld walking style, and I do remember Wizardry's battle system, and aside from the clicking it does have a few similarities. I preferred The Bard's Tale over Wizardry though.
do you know how many unique visitors you got from these stunts?
Zxcvdnm wrote:
do you know how many unique visitors you got from these stunts?

While its probably not 100%, the view count of the game trailer that has been embedded in all the articles published has jumped from roughly 1,000 views to 65,000 views over 3 days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX8dd13IovU

Edit: Another vague indicator is that NEStalgia's hub listing now has 680 fans, about ~110 more than where it was before the rush I think.

Edit2: Something that would definitely be a good indicator is the increase in the number of entries in the game's standings table. I didn't bother to see where it stood prior to the rush but there is now nearly 15,000 unique byond keys/guests, 11,650 of which have stayed long enough to see the intro cinematic and fight a couple battles.
Galactic Soldier wrote:
I can't believe there's 7483 players online right now.

I've got my hopes up for 10,000. =)
"I've never played Wizardy, but I loved Ultima: Exodus and Ultima: Avatar! I owned the NES versions when I was a kid. Exodus is probably the most brutally difficult game that I've ever played."

Heh, Ultima: Exodus is probably the reason why I can't participate in the feel-good nostalgia. I finally got my child mind to accept something that wasn't all action and then the most I could do was make bad jokes about raising the dexterity of female characters. I ended up skipping the entire digital RPG genre until Xenogears!
These are all good things to look at, but also consider the number of people who make it to level 10 (reliable indicator of the people who enjoy the game... enough to stick around to level 10.) I count 1065 since the external marketing began, doubling that number that reached that plateau prior to that. Direct a few of these old school fans to Casual Quest, and BAM. BYOND's up and running again. The classics win yet again.