ID:1101422

I want to clean my hard drive and came across 8 GB+ worth of BYOND-related files. I'm going to share these in the hopes that my work might live on. I doubt that it will, especially since I started using MySQL for later projects which most of you will probably find difficult to set up.

I'm going to be using this thread to post projects as I come across them. I don't know exactly what I have in store - most of my projects were short-term and didn't make it to a full game so aren't worth sharing - but you can expect my biggest projects to end up here.

Parts of my posts will be separated by dividers.

The first project I'm going to share is console. This is a very old game written by Exadv1, who also wrote the game Space Station 13, which is currently the most popular game on BYOND.

console is not much of a game, but it may be interesting for the idea behind it to appear in other games in the future. It's sort-of like Garry's Mod's Wiremod: you can hook devices up to other devices and have them do stuff. The object of the game seems to be to create a large computer network. What happens once you've created it is anyone's guess -- but the game can be used as a platform for any game that involves computers in any way. Some even have had the notion of implementing it into Space Station 13.

I received my copy of the source-code directly from Exadv1 along with the base SS13 source-code (the non-decompiled version) and Nanotrasen vs. Syndicate. I decided to work on console because I wanted to take things slow, and I was in an "off" period with SS13 at the time.

Adding a bunch of useless sci-fi devices (such as a device that uploads your consciousness into a computer and allows you to live as a computer program) was easy. But I never found a good use for the game.

But maybe there is someone who can find a good use for the game. Or maybe you just want to see what the fuzz was all about. Either way, you can download the project below.

Download (via Sendspace)

Includes:
  • assignments: A list of assignments I made up for the people that were on my server. I don't know what happened to them, but the original map was lost so it probably wasn't saved anyway.
  • excode: A few snippets of ExCode, the language in the game.
  • md5 hash generator: Generates a MD5 hash with a salt to be used to encrypt doors.

The third item I'm going to share is the Hostserver Manual for the Hostserver system I once wrote for Farawayhost, a hosting company set up by me and another member of this community. Although we had some clients we never made enough to pay off the server costs, so we decided to end the company.

I wrote a custom Hostserver system which operated completely through the BYOND program. I'm prepared to give the source-code for the right price, though I'm not sure if anybody even wants the thing at this point in time.

The manual contains an instruction for users on how to use the system. The administrator interface isn't shown, but it's fairly trivial: you can add users by BYOND key, and specify how much RAM they're allowed to use.

Download (via Sendspace)

All of the above files and any files I'm going to give out in the future are considered by me to be under public domain, unless otherwise stated. Feel free to do what you want with them; I'm just glad I don't have to drag them around anymore.

I apologize in advance if I broke any rules while making this post. Any opinions made in this post are from my POV and as such may be subjective to how I perceived things at the time; please don't start the flame war.
How much would you like for Hostserver?
Well, I was thinking of something in the range of $120-$140 as I did spend weeks working on it and it has proven to be a reliable system. I'd even be willing to help install it.
Two more:

My GIAD 2009 entry was Turtle Racer. I'm unsure if the source-code survived my first departure, so I'm redistributing it.

Download (via Sendspace)

I once started writing a new DM Guide got demotivated. I posted it on the BYOND forum (though it may have been a restricted section) and asked for help, but as usual no-one seemed bothered to write additions to the document.

I'm posting it here for anyone that likes a read and maybe someone else can finish what I started.

Download (via Sendspace)

Bug? You can write HR tags in your threads, but on posts within that thread you suddenly can't use that HTML tag. That's not consistent!
In response to AndroidDataReturns
When has anything on BYOND been consistent ? They can't even update the reference or guide properly you of all people should know that.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
When has anything on BYOND been consistent ? They can't even update the reference or guide properly you of all people should know that.

Yeah, but there is such a thing as being polite, and since I'm officially leaving anyway I figured I wouldn't be rude for once.
The only reason I'm here is to ensure the survival of my biggest projects in some shape - which I believe I have sufficiently done as all of the other projects I might have to share are unfinished or unusable in their current state anyway - and to potentially sell Hostserver, as I can use the money.

I know I screwed up many times in the past. I've been rude where it wasn't desirable or even needed, I've quit so many times that I don't even know how many times I ended up coming back just to have my hopes crushed again.

I had already realized in the time I was gone for those 8 months that I wasn't to blame inasmuch as it was this community, which emphasizes all the negative aspects of my personality.

People are too aggressive over here. You make a mistake, and they jeeringly point it out, in the same way that A.T.H.K up there is doing. At such a young age, I was only following the crowd by making the same snide remarks, and I grew up with that attitude.

Today I still have complaints about the way things are run, and I still have ideas about games. But I can no longer voice them because everyone here will always think of me as an ignorant, selfish, arrogant prick.

I can't easily make friends, because people have to get to know me before they can respect me. This community expects perfection out of the gate, and anything that doesn't meet expectations is going to be heavily scrutinized. I have neither the will nor the energy to keep defending myself anymore.

After those 8 months I came back to this place because I wanted to use the software to write a game. But I have become so used to how things work with other languages, and especially the pace at which the IT world develops, that I'm unable to do even that.

The fact that since my return I've had multiple DDoS attacked performed on me by a member of this community known as "Laser50" doesn't help matters much, since if a 15-year-old member stoops to that level it just shows what kind of atmosphere the adults are creating.

There is only one thing that I still like about this place, and that is the ability to play some of the unique games there are on BYOND, such as Space Station 13 and Last Robot Standing. I may pop up to play them now and again.

As a developer and overall member of the community itself there is nothing for me here. The development of BYOND isn't going in the direction I'd like to see it in, most of this community has negative feelings towards my name and there is no way I can do anything here without getting caught up in drama.

I salute the members of this community that are able to deal with this negativity so well. I hope that BYOND will eventually find its way out of this dark time, and I hope my departure will help to speed things up.

Relating to the selling of Hostserver, please contact me directly at the AndroidDataReturns key if you're interested. If this is over before January 1st I'm still willing to help install the Hostserver program on your server, otherwise you'll have to do it yourself. There will be no further replies to this post from me.
Bye
Just for any record I Wasn't being negative towards you but BYONDs inconstancy.

As for the name you have, you have to admit you did some pretty stupid stuff.... As have I and many others.

To put it straight I don't look negatively at developers or gamers only on a few issue I have with the software, all those stupid rips and the large majority of so called programmers that make fan games (poorly I might add).

Apart from those issues I think you should speak for yourself instead of others...
I'm sad to see you go. But I would like you to know that despite our differences in the past I still have a great deal of respect towards you and I'm still grateful you taught me everything I know about the DM language.
Wow, that guide is really good!
Wait you coded something that lets you host BYOND games :O