ID:11056

Every verb can be turn'd into cool words with the APOSTROPHE! Even non-verbs can be verb'd with the APOSTROPHE! You're not a real internet user unless you've word'd something with the APOSTROPHE!
CRITICISED'D
This raises an interesting question...

Do either of you know where this phenomenon started? (well, at least what made it popular) And I don't mean on BYOND, I mean in general... What introduced it to the public at-large?

Depending on how much American TV you watch, or are familiar with, you may not even know the source...

The whole [verb]'d thing comes to us from a show on MTV (Music Television... I'd imagine it's known worldwide, but one shouldn't assume) starring Ashton Kutcher (again, I'm sure most people know this guy... if not, Google him)

Anyways, the show is a hidden camera show where he pulls pranks on other celebrities, to see how far he and his team of actors can push them, before he comes out to tell them they're on his show...

The show's name? Punk'd

Yep, just like that... When the target is at the boiling point, Ashton rushes out to tell them that they've just been Punk'd...

To "punk" someone is a slang term over here (maybe wherever you're at too?) that means "tricked" or "made a fool of"...

And now you know!

Obviously, this sort of thing didn't start with Punk'd, but that's most likely where everyone picked it up at...
Really? I would've been certain that Punk'd did start it. I never saw the Apostrophe'd gimmick pop up before the show came out.
I don't mean to imply that everyone was running around using [verb]'d before Punk'd, but I don't think Punk'd was the first thing in history to ever use the apostrophe that way... Not necessarily anything in the media, either, I'm just assuming that at some point in the history of the English language, someone, somewhere must've written something like that...

Of course, Punk'd is almost definitely what put it into everyone's heads, and made it the fad it is today...
Do either of you know where this phenomenon started? (well, at least what made it popular) And I don't mean on BYOND, I mean in general... What introduced it to the public at-large?

Homestarrunner did it, I thought.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homestarrunner
"Perhaps the most common reference to the site is using the suffix "'D" to make a past participle (such as "ARROW'D")."

I don't know what Punk'd is- I got 'd off homestarrunner, so did my friends.
Of course, Punk'd is almost definitely what put it into everyone's heads, and made it the fad it is today...

INFORM'D

Damn, it feels pretty good!
Well, Punk'd has been around since '03, but I'm not sure when H*R introduced the "ARROW'D" thing (it was in one of Strong Bad's "Teen Girl Squad" shorts, right?)

But either way, the internet as a whole pretty much revolves around American culture (since we're the majority of its population), so it's likely that the majority of people on this fad have picked it up from Punk'd...

I don't doubt that many came by it through Homestar, but I'd imagine the number is less...
SSGX
You are right that more people watch MTV than HSR, I assume, but in Punk'd's case, all they did was drop the e out of a word that was already considered an action("You got punked" was around way before punk'd), but HSR did it with a word that was not even a slang verb. Arrow is seen as an object, not as an action, when was the last time you said "That guy got arrowed". Chances are, you haven't, but you have said 'That guy got shot by an arrow.' or something close. HSR used it properly(completely improper) as to where Punk'd just too slang and dropped a letter.

Moral of the story? Ashton Kutcher is gay(In both the slang and not slang meaning)