ID:1106758

This is pretty much for Tom and Lummox JR. Maybe you guys have seen this, I don't know. I know you guys already have a Flash client going and this would require it to be scrapped, but Adobe has a Flash C++ compiler.

It's very expensive and I don't even know if it would work, but a full fledged Dream Seeker in Flash would be very nice. Single player games are very popular with Flash and require no upkeep, they just sit there and make money.

http://gaming.adobe.com/technologies/flascc/

Just wanted to bring it to your attention just in case it's a goldmine waiting to be discovered (maybe a future project). If not, no harm done, maybe somebody will find it useful.
That is actually really awesome.
It's nice how flash is finally able to use hardware.

According to the link you provided it requires at least Windows 7 and it has to be 64 bit. Since when BYOND stopped caring about Windows 95 users? No I'm not trying to be an ass, just putting your own words back into your mouth. In my opinion anything below Windows Vista had to die long ago, including 32 bit, said that long ago and it found a lot of haters.

Going back on topic... Scene looks quite basic, but I do feel FPS drop when I look at whole castle, it's unlikely Unreal Engine isn't working properly, so my guess is Flash cannot handle it. This is much better than regular Flash, but still very far from AAA games. Hard to tell what's better, this or Unity, but at the moment I hope it's Flash, since Unity doesn't provide any low-level-access, just bunch of unoptimized scripts.
In response to Zaoshi
While the compiler may require a certain environment, I'm guessing the Flash projects it produces won't have the same limitation. Otherwise, the results would lack the web distribution Adobe is boasting. Tom and Lummox JR may require a specific OS. On the player's end, the BYOND client would be just another Flash app. =)
Yes, the compiler requires Windows 7. The BYOND developers would be the only ones using it. Flash is Flash, it works anywhere Flash works.
If you're still using Windows Vista or less... I don't know why people are really using XP / Vista.
In response to Blastcore
Blastcore wrote:
If you're still using Windows Vista or less... I don't know why people are really using XP / Vista.

I honestly think Windows XP is the best version ever made by Windows.
bump

Seems relevant due to the recent needs for income.
In response to Eternal_Memories
Eternal_Memories wrote:

I honestly think Windows XP is the best version ever made by Windows.

Then you know very little about Windows.

XP was a great version at the time but 7 is to XP what XP was to 95/98. With the security, performance and API improvements in 7 it blows XP out of the water no matter how you slice it.
In response to MagicMountain
MagicMountain wrote:
Then you know very little about Windows.

XP was a great version at the time but 7 is to XP what XP was to 95/98. With the security, performance and API improvements in 7 it blows XP out of the water no matter how you slice it.

I have to say, there is an area it doesn't beat XP in, and that's disk space. The 40GB HDD I store my Windows VM's data on is small enough already, thank you very much. (It's interface also needlessly burns system resources, but XP does that in other ways so it all evens out.)
Sure, XP is a drastically worse deprecated operating system that takes less disk space. Aero can be disabled but it uses your GPU so who cares?
There's two massive no-no's with using this. BYOND is a very heavy user of GDI+, and Visual Studio build mechanism.

I'm fairly sure that getting DreamSeeker into a state that it could cross-compile with this thing would be non-trivial ... and pointless, as there's a flash client that does DreamSeeker's general job anyway. It just needs releasing.