ID:1107752

(See the best response by Super Saiyan X.)
This post is more about information than help, pure interest I'd say.

I know that there are plenty ways to ban a user our
new game, in which that client isn't welcomed at all.

The first approach we would take, I bet, would be to
ban him through keys.
Well, Him changing from one key to another would be very simple, thus allowing him to re-disturb our loved player base.

Oh man, I need to ban him forever, so I IP ban him.
Really, it is not as simple as changing keys, but relatively easy to change his own IP. I could ban his computer id as well, but you know, he would still be able to join from another computer.

However, the BYOND developers are smart, and they use other types of bans such as Hash banning, or placing a simple Cookie on our client via JavaScript.

My really question is, is there any other ways to ban someone, aside from the ones mentioned and IP-Range banning??

In case there is, if you could bring up some information it'd be helpful.

ip banning would probably be the best that i know of, but i havnt really work with banning that much :P
Ban them on the hub and check IsBanned() ? OR, you could host ban them and make it sticky.
I knew of those methods, what I was exactly expecting to be replied with was, for example, retrieving a mac address and storing it.
Well this example is not possibke on byond, as far as I know.

Probably using other languages such as c plusplus, or javascript.
Not really sure if they are capable of doing such a thing, but you get my point -I guess-
There is definitely a way to access mac addresses. I don't remember the exact way, but someone made a post about using javascript or ActiveX objects to retrieve mac addresses. I probably have the snippet stored somewhere.
Wow, there's not really a plot for this but knowledge.
Anyways, who didn't deal with one of those no-leavers on our games lol.
Best response
Here's the post about using that ActiveX object, it provides a DM file too.
http://www.byond.com/ forum/?post=265686&page=2#comment1168661

Other than that, the only ways I can think of for banning people are:
Key, address, CID (or mac addr) stored on the server-side
Key, address, CID (or mac addr) stored on webserver somewhere
Store files on the client-side, per key
Browser cookie
Dream Daemon sticky ban / GetConfig/SetConfig

You could also ban entire ISPs or cities, if you look up the user's host name thing. It'd look like this:
pool-111-111-111-111.citystate.dunno.isp.domain

whatismyip.com gives this example for a random IP:
I see, Interesting.
Shall look into that ActiveX object.
Thanks for all the info :D

[EDIT]
That ActiveX appliance is awesome, it retrieves ALOT of data from the clients, I guess this is a bit dangerous in the wrong hands. I'll look more deeper into it.
[/EDIT]