Space Station 13

by Exadv1
Space Station 13
Stay alive inside Space Station 13
ID:1113151

Keywords: green, new, newbie
Hey all, I'm a newbie to this game, but I love the point of it and the roleplaying aspect.

HOWEVER, me being a newbie, and the wiki not really being enough "hands-on" for me, I tried putting up my own server to try and get a hold of things. That worked for about 5 minutes at a time before the lights started going out and the hallways started depressurizing...No luck there. So I introduced my friend to it and we have been managing to keep the station somewhat running by our-selves... Until today, me trying to follow a video tutorial on getting singularity running, I spilled plasma and couldn't figure out how to clean it up, SO, now I'm here. Trying to get some help from all of you pro's out there. I really want to learn how to do this, I enjoy roleplaying and it seems there is quite a bit of futures in this game. I've taken an interest in the engineering part of the game, so I think I'll get into working that. But now I want advice from you guys, what do you think I should do to really get the hang of things?
SS13 is mainly a social game, remember that. Learning how to work the systems and the interface is a pretty steep curve but even when you know how to do everything you play the game by interacting with people.

So start there, just pick a job and tell your co-workers you have no idea what you're doing and ask them to show you. Most players are really helpful and love sharing the things they've figured out how to do. So you have access to the latest info and doing it hands on while you learn will help you remember.

Engineering is a great place to start, so is medical. You can always pick up tools or medical supplies and both help you understand the basics of how the world works.
Question: How do you unlock doors. I've asked many engineers, but their general response is: "Why would you want to do that?" So, can anybody please just tell me?
You do not "unlock doors" and you never should unless you want a manhunt out for you ending with you dead in a corner from a random assistant.
I want that. Might spice up the round.
In response to Barney Stinson 69
Barney Stinson 69 wrote:
I want that. Might spice up the round.

They usually say that because the area is either restricted or leads to space.
...I still would like to learn how to demolish doors. I have tried it before, and it kept zapping me. It would have really helped me in a role play the other day.
The BayStation 12 wikipedia should offer help on it all.
((Google it..))
In response to MagicMountain
MagicMountain wrote:
SS13 is mainly a social game, remember that. Learning how to work the systems and the interface is a pretty steep curve but even when you know how to do everything you play the game by interacting with people.

So start there, just pick a job and tell your co-workers you have no idea what you're doing and ask them to show you. Most players are really helpful and love sharing the things they've figured out how to do. So you have access to the latest info and doing it hands on while you learn will help you remember.

Engineering is a great place to start, so is medical. You can always pick up tools or medical supplies and both help you understand the basics of how the world works.

Cool! I will do just that, can't wait to get into this game. Thanks all!
http://wiki.nanotrasen.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

More stuff. Try not to play as a high ranking or difficult officials, such as the captain, HoS (head of security), roboticist, and whatnot. Try to play something easy, like an assistant. Assistants are people who "assist" other people, and being an assistant can help you learn about the job.
Assistants do shit, Everyone loves the clowns!
If you are new, and aren't a fan of seriousness, don't visit the more RP-related servers or suffer bans. If you just wish to play the game, go to one of the ones that don't care as much, and have more room for newbies.

P.S. Go find an engineering guide for the code-base of whichever server you partake on. If you play on Goons, you need to go to the Goons/Gibbed wiki. Same with /tg/, Apollo, or BS12 (NOTE: some servers run on the same code as others. When you log on, they will always say what codebase the server runs on(even a server running on their own code).
Thank you. I will do that.
In response to Barney Stinson 69
Barney Stinson 69 wrote:
...I still would like to learn how to demolish doors. I have tried it before, and it kept zapping me. It would have really helped me in a role play the other day.

I don't know if this is still relevant for you but this is how you do it.

1. use a screwdriver to open the door
2. cut all wires exept the one that drops the bolts
3. use a crowbar to remove the electronics
4. use a wrench to unwrench the airlock assembly
5. use a welder to demolish the airlock assembly
Between 2 and 1 is weld the door closed.
In response to Blackopsman9999
Blackopsman9999 wrote:
Between 2 and 1 is weld the door closed.

Opening it, just to weld it shut? That seems a little counterproductive....
Can anyone help me find a downloadable map? Or if there aren't any the editor. I want to play the game but I would like to get the hang of the control scheme. =
Idk about in-game being a helpful, friendly, learning place. I've only had 1 person in my 3 days of playing actually give me advice. All the other players have been ignoring me or telling me to go shove my newb arse somewhere else. Fun game, but I wish the community was a bit more helpful. More people need to post on Reddit too :)
The wikis have a lot of very good information. They are a good place to start. Here are the three main ones:

For those servers running tg station (Like Yogstation and NoX), http://wiki.nanotrasen.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

For the Gibbed Servers, http://autisticpowers.info/ss13/wiki/Main_Page

And for the servers running Baystation (Like Hypatia Station and Alium Deathtrap), http://baystation12.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

I personally enjoy Baystation servers, mainly Hypatia. The servers running it generally enforce Roleplaying rules, which means that there isn't as much craziness, but there are a lot of things that can get you banned, especially if you do not really know what you are doing in the game. Although, if RP isn't your thing, then I'd recommend the Gibbed Servers. The rounds, despite generally lacking RP, can be pretty fun. Everybody has their preferences and play styles. Those wikis are great for information on various jobs and gameplay elements, and have some good articles for new players. I recommend you read up on the jobs, and find something you may want to try. Learn about it and then try it out. You know, I typed this entire thing, then realized you already said the wikis weren't hands on enough, and I didn't realize how old this was, but hey, this can be helpful for other new players. I might make it a new topic.