Fatevamp wrote:
there eliminating all those games that had that little "Donation" symbol on their page and in game...

Wrong.
Deathguard wrote:
Discriminating how?
You broke the law by developing a game on their licensed content.

That means you're entirely at fault and they're perfectly okay to do this.
The only reason licensed anime works are ever okay is because BYOND did you people a huge favour and turned a blind eye.

If you scroll through the posts, you'll notice someone linking something Nadrew said in 2003. He contacted FUNimation and asked whether it was okay for this site to hold Fangames, and they said it was okay as it didn't interfere with their income.
I may be wrong, but I do believe that people / companies are allowed to change their mind. Particularly over an 8 year period. Nadrew's action was a mix of proof of what he figured the situation was at the time, and clarification for others, as people were freaking out about copyright back then too.
Stephen001 wrote:
I may be wrong, but I do believe that people / companies are allowed to change their mind. Particularly over an 8 year period. Nadrew's action was a mix of proof of what he figured the situation was at the time, and clarification for others, as people were freaking out about copyright back then too.

I was just pointing out.
Stephen001 wrote:
I may be wrong, but I do believe that people / companies are allowed to change their mind. Particularly over an 8 year period. Nadrew's action was a mix of proof and clarification, as people were freaking out about copyright back then too.

Unless BYOND has a contract with funimation, they can change their mind whenever they want. An email saying it's ok is not a contract.
Quite so, Forum_Account, quite so.
Emasym wrote:
I was just pointing out.

To what purpose, though?
Stephen001 wrote:
To what purpose, though?

"BYOND did you people a huge favour and turned a blind eye."
That wasn't the case, BYOND directly contacted FUNimation, and received permission.
Somehow I suspect Nadrew wasn't particularly instructed for/against that contact, nor do I consider his actions as being BYOND's actions. But it seems most do think of him as representing BYOND, and so that's the case.

This is where my confusion lay.
Especially in 2002, I wasn't even part of the team when that post was made. Again, it was in 2002 get over it, things change.
There goes the FMA game i've been working on. Turns out FUNimation has rights to that too.
Well this is an interesting turn of events. Comes shortly after the headache of me trying to make original graphics and music to revive my old original project (graphics is a fail as I am not a graphic artist). To see people actually sell copywrited material here is not surprising and it's even less surprising to see a C/D called over it.
It's been bugging me for days now, not that it will impact my game alot, but how come some dragonball games are banned and others aren't.
Still have the idea that this started by a player who wanted to destroy competition.
Dpheonix7 wrote:
To see people actually sell copywrited material here is not surprising and it's even less surprising to see a C/D called over it.
First off, nobody was selling copyrighted material. Second, even if they were, from my understanding, FUNimation did absolutely no investigation into the actual games, which means they wouldn't have known about it. They just came to BYOND.com, searched for DBZ, and issued a C&D for every game that came up. If there was any monetary motivation behind FUNimation's actions, then it would have been due to BYOND memberships, not anything done by specific games. Though that doesn't seem to have been the motivation anyway, it was simply a few malicious emails sent by some worthless community members, who IMO deserve a full ban from BYOND and all of its services.

Nadrew wrote:
Especially in 2002, I wasn't even part of the team when that post was made. Again, it was in 2002 get over it, things change.
If you were given the go-ahead to work on a project, and then after it was completed were told "NOPE, BANNED", you would probably be pretty put-off too. Something similar could have happened to one of your projects at any time, and still could.
Of course you're gonna be put off, but there's nothing BYOND can do about it now. Just gotta move on. (Also, FFL was never my project, I just actively tried to run it into the ground until someone else came along that wanted to work on it =P)
Nadrew wrote:
Just gotta move on.

I'd say that's already happened for the most part

(Also, FFL was never my project, I just actively tried to run it into the ground until someone else came along that wanted to work on it =P)

Sounds like it was your project to run it into the ground then =P
It was Loud's project, I was just getting people to stop bugging me about it constantly.
I just find it funny that none of these blog posts ever got much notice with comments or people talking about it until this one finally gets people out of the woodwork.

Truly a pity that it took a stab at anime in order to get people to look at BYOND's future and whatnot.
Nadrew wrote:
It was Loud's project, I was just getting people to stop bugging me about it constantly.
When I first joined BYOND, I thought you were the one running/programming the game, but you probably have a better understanding of that situation than I do =P

Kumog wrote:
I just find it funny that none of these blog posts ever got much notice with comments or people talking about it until this one finally gets people out of the woodwork.
Surprise surprise, when you shut down the games that 90% of BYOND's population is playing, they want to get involved? Not to mention, this blog is posted on the pager, so a lot more people have a chance to see it.
I find it funny that all of them are being removed when there's only 24 infringing games.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14 15 16