MDC wrote:
I find it funny that all of them are being removed when there's only 24 infringing games.
What? Every game in the anime and fangame sections of the site are still infringing, and they aren't being removed. IMO, they should all just be hidden, since this is obviously going to be an issue. But what point are you trying to make? Are you referring to rips? Because that's an entirely separate issue.
Falacy wrote:
What? Every game in the anime and fangame sections of the site are still infringing, and they aren't being removed. IMO, they should all just be hidden, since this is obviously going to be an issue. But what point are you trying to make? Are you referring to rips? Because that's an entirely separate issue.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant that only the 24 games listed above are the ones caught infringing but they're removing the rest of the FUNimation ones from listing as well. I still see it as unfair and think they should remove the rest of the fan-games as well because they can get notices just as easily.

MDC wrote:
I meant that only the 24 games listed above are the ones caught infringing but they're removing the rest of the FUNimation ones from listing as well.
They aren't doing that as far as I know o.O
Falacy wrote:

Look at the game submissions and look at the reason posted.

MDC wrote:
Look at the game submissions and look at the reason posted.
Those games hubs are still available, they just aren't listed in searches. Honestly, most games that would fall into that copyright category would just be rips anyway, and would end up suppressed in exactly the same way.
Falacy wrote:
Those games hubs are still available, they just aren't listed in searches. Honestly, most games that would fall into that copyright category would just be rips anyway, and would end up suppressed in exactly the same way.

Yes I know but I still think it's unfair that other fangames/anime games are allowed to be listed when they're in the same position. They should be taken off listing as well, or those should be allowed to be listed.

MDC wrote:
Yes I know but I still think it's unfair that other fangames/anime games are allowed to be listed when they're in the same position. They should be taken off listing as well, or those should be allowed to be listed.

Agreed
Falacy wrote:
MDC wrote:
I meant that only the 24 games listed above are the ones caught infringing but they're removing the rest of the FUNimation ones from listing as well.

Yes, we just haven't gotten around to it (as it would also require scouring the non-submitted games, which is a much bigger pile). Given the recent issues, it would be stupid to make a FUNimation-branded game and expect to receive support from BYOND.

Practically speaking, there isn't a huge difference between being suppressed and being unlisted. In fact, I don't think there's a huge difference between being suppressed and being listed, since games really need to have an off-site presence to be worth anything.
Why not remove the rest of the fan games then? Practically speaking, there isn't a huge difference in the position they're in so they should be treated the same.
MDC wrote:
Why not remove the rest of the fan games then? Practically speaking, there isn't a huge difference in the position they're in so they should be treated the same.

I agree with this as much, as it hurts me to say.
FUNimation directly contacted BYOND. If they still see them listing games infringing on their licenses, that could be an issue. Other games don't really have that same level of urgency.
BYOND has been contacted before the same way and there are games listed after being renamed under a new hub and key. They're in the same situation honestly. They can all get notices just as easy, especially with the other corresponding companies getting emails to come check the games out here.
I'm not talking about if they have hubs or not. I'm talking about if they're listed or not. I understand completely why you guys would not want to list any FUNimation based games under any tags. What I find unfair is that the rest of the fan games/anime games are still listed when they're in the same position. I'm pretty sure Duel Monsters Unlimited received a C&D a while ago and you were forced to delete the hub just like you did for these games listed above. They made a new hub along with some changes and the game is listed again. If that's possible, why shouldn't my Dragon Ball based game be listed whenever I decide to submit it(if I do). I'm just asking for equality, nothing else.
Fangames are listed under 'Fangames,' which is basically 'BYOND's turning a not-so-subtle blind eye until they get a DMCA notice.'

They can't do that with dragonball any more, because they got a DMCA notice.
I would have to say some of the DBZ games had an option to sub or a donation button going directly to the owner which they may not have liked since in a way they were making money off of the game. Which had copyrighted stuff. Which may have prompted this issue even further. I mean other games do it too but since there attention was brought to this I guess, just a rumor but still they seen it and sent this "email".
It has nothing to do with subscriptions, as discussed way, way back in this topic. It's a matter of intellectual property and the violation thereof.
Well names alone could cause copyright issues.
Also I think it does have to do with subs. If the owner of the said game is charging people to play a game who does not legally own the right to it and is making money of it then they could get into alot of trouble.
You were quite right with your first post. Names alone can indeed cause trouble. Branding causes trouble.

You know, copyright, trademarking, that sort of thing.

You can get into 'a lot of trouble' even if you explicitly state you do not want people to give you any money, that's the point of copyright law and the DMCA.
Deathguard wrote:
They can't do that with dragonball any more, because they got a DMCA notice.

For the 24 games listed above, not all of them.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16