Much anime-hating.
Audeuro wrote:
I'm not sure if you actually played the game or not, but the title just makes it all the more...epic, and there's really no reason that the title (as-is) should have been caught in this C&D. I do recommend you give it a try when you get a few minutes, I think you'll like it.

Right i'm sure its fun, sounds addicting. But do i get to name my pvp game that pits old folks in wheelchairs against each other; Jurassic Park, or my motocross game with tracks on Mt. Saint Helen; Mountain Dew? Call it 'Dragging Balls'. (giggle) You can't honestly say using the z and all wasn't intended to feed off the existing franchise.

On the other hand; Catchup and Katsup coexist legally. I just think it isn't worth bothering with. If the ball game is fun then it shouldn't suffer from a name change. p.s. this debate lends it all kinds of attention. Announce the new name here while u have our ears.
So what's the verdict?
I'm getting too many different answers.

Is it just FUNimation-related games, all anime/fan games or just the ones BYOND was notified over that will be taken down?
The issue with Draggin'Ballz4k is the gif image where it changes the o to a g.
I guess these people should've made Narto games instead. I don't think FUNimation can has Narto.
Okay, I'm really, really sad right now. I've worked on my game (Emasym.DBLive3, all original programming) for over half a year now, and I even bought a BYOND membership a few days ago to be able to promote the game more. Hell, I screenshotted when I had 30+ people playing, I was that bloody proud of myself for achieving something like that, all on my own, having the age I have.

Tom, will byond try EVERYTHING in their disposal to get rid of these plainly silly (trying not to say retarded (whoops)) claims by FUNimation? "Original games" ? I'm fine with them being promoted more than others, does not mean I can't love a fantheme more than anything else.

I'm really bloody mad right now, and to the people saying "this is good news", go to bloody hell, you have no idea the amount of work some people put in those games. Butthurt, arrogant people.
This sucks man... Will we still be able to play it?
Lol, I find it oddly convenient how Encore and Generations were missed from this "purge".

Interesting eh?
Asha_LaPoe wrote:
You can't honestly say using the z and all wasn't intended to feed off the existing franchise.

It wasn't. The name was intended as an explicit parody.
Does this mean that all dbz games submitted to the hub should be rejected? Or are you only going to worry about the ones they mentioned? I'm sure most of those games can be re-listed under new hub entries very easily.

I would have preferred if it was the staff's decision to remove anime games, but this is still excellent news.
Forum_account falls under the "butthurt" category I described. Go sit in a corner with Silk.
Emasym wrote:
Okay, I'm really, really sad right now. I've worked on my game (Emasym.DBLive3, all original programming) for over half a year now, and I even bought a BYOND membership a few days ago to be able to promote the game more. Hell, I screenshotted when I had 30+ people playing, I was that bloody proud of myself for achieving something like that, all on my own, having the age I have.

I'm really bloody mad right now, and to the people saying "this is good news", go to bloody hell, you have no idea the amount of work some people put in those games. Butthurt, arrogant people.

Emasym, they don't have any claim to your code/source. If you're really passionate about your game, and by that I mean that if you think the game is more than "just another DBZ game", then drop the DBZ aspects and make it into a fully original game. It's not easy, and it might take you a really long time, but you'll be even prouder of your work when your original content (instead of a franchise title) is drawing in 30+ players.
Emasym wrote:
Forum_account falls under the "butthurt" category I described. Go sit in a corner with Silk.

You sound a lot more butthurt than him.
Gakumerasara wrote:
Emasym, they don't have any claim to your code/source. If you're really passionate about your game, and by that I mean that if you think the game is more than "just another DBZ game", then drop the DBZ aspects and make it into a fully original game. It's not easy, and it might take you a really long time..

It should be incredibly easy to make this change. You might have to change some images and icons, but most of the dbz content is text and you can change this with the find and replace command.

The reason why I don't like anime games is that the developers don't focus in gameplay. They just want to make something that includes characters and places from the tv show. You should be able to remove all dbz elements and still have a fun game. If you're worried about his conversion, you should have worried more about gameplay from the start.
Forum_account, saying anime games developers don't focus on gameplay is a big generalisation.
And "might have to change some images", if I can randomly conjure up an icon artist I'd be fine with making original games. I truly would be. But I enjoyed DBZ in my childhood as much as the other guy, so I don't see the need to shoot down and criticise everyone who tries to make a game out of those experiences.

You call it "conversion", I see it as changing the foundation. People simply aren't interested in trying out every single game. I even fan'd your Miner's Adventure, I had some good times with it, but do you see it hosted with a dozen players on regularly?

@Popisfizzy, of course I'm butthurt. The game I've been constantly updating every day for 2 months has been pretty much shut down.
Forum_account wrote:
The reason why I don't like anime games is that the developers don't focus in gameplay. They just want to make something that includes characters and places from the tv show. You should be able to remove all dbz elements and still have a fun game. If you're worried about his conversion, you should have worried more about gameplay from the start.

Right, we totally didnt focus on gameplay.
To those of you speaking as if its something miniscule and easy to change a game meant to be a fangame.

Its one thing to change code

Its one thing to change a story aswell.

But to change the art is something else entirely.

Dont speak as if all of those projects were some miniscule rip with no effort put forward.
Forum_account wrote:
It should be incredibly easy to make this change. You might have to change some images and icons, but most of the dbz content is text and you can change this with the find and replace command.

I said it "might" take a really long time given my own experiences with converting FFO into an original game. Removing the phrase "Final Fantasy" is the easy part. Swapping out graphics and music is a bit more time-consuming. The part that takes forever is getting rid of the related game elements (why bother keeping FF concepts/themes/elements in something that is no longer an FF game?); just about every proc has been effected in some way. So if you're like me - a perfectionist who focuses solely on gameplay - then the possibility exists that you can get caught up in "feature creep" that turns a simple conversion into a 3-year process. Hopefully in Emasym's case, it won't be as difficult or time-consuming.
Heh I have an idea a thing similar to what smosh did when their video got taken down. I'd need the help of a few iconers though. I wanna eventually make a project. Called NOmination and have a bunch of parody characters like... Roku , Soul Mucher, Kusuke Durameshi Chimp F Ruffy and just make a small cross over game. I'm pretty good with fighters XD
If you don't call the character "goku" that's probably enough. I don't think they'll thoroughly check your game to see if you use the likeness of any characters. Even then, you can just do a palette swap. Unless you took the graphics from a dbz game you didn't make you won't need to change much, you just need to change what things are called.

If the game won't attract people with original content, then you're admitting that gameplay wasn't your main concern. I'm sure there are some people who try to make better dbz-themed games, but the emphasis is still on the theme.

I'm not sure what the problem is. Are you just upset that your game won't attract as many players now? If dbz games become less popular due to even less visibility, the people who played those games won't just vanish. BYOND has original games that attract lots of players. You might have to work harder to draw people to your game, but making games was supposed to be hard work
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 14 15 16