Like i said, dont imply that it is that easy to change a game, when it is not.

You clearly dont know the ammount of effort that went into some of those games, and are instead basing your opinion on what was probably some rip you played in the past.

And it has nothing to do with the ammount of players id get.
This needs to be fixed! Why don't people understand for example i startd playing byond when i was 12... becaus of that I have been buying stuff from there franchise ever since if there gonna be like that stuff them greedy bastards
But really though is any one interested in this Project
Bugger. I find this to be quite a let down.
Forum_account, you're being truly arrogant now. I'm upset that FUNimation is taking this to ridiculous lengths and that people agree.

You should know full well how much work development takes. Of course the DBZ theme is helpful in getting more players. Miner's Adventure has pretty okay'ish gameplay (bugged dogs ftl), and you have no players online.

Gameplay WAS a primary concern you nitwit. If you would've even played my game in question you would've perhaps noticed, in your narrow vision of BYOND games. You can't comment that which you don't know.

I enjoy DBZ (anime/manga, everything), and when I make a game about it you're saying I'm not taking it seriously? You're saying I'm focussing on adding NPCs with the name "Goku" instead of the actual game? If so, fuck you, dear man.
A lot of other games wasn't added in that list. Which should clearly be involved also. Looks like another nit pick to me. Pick and choose and throw out the middle man. ~shrugs~
Gakumerasara wrote:
I said it "might" take a really long time given my own experiences with converting FFO into an original game. Removing the phrase "Final Fantasy" is the easy part. Swapping out graphics and music is a bit more time-consuming.

Don't most dbz games on BYOND use original graphics? I mean, graphics made by a BYOND user, not from an official dbz game. Your case would be more difficult because you had to replace all icons taken from FF. Dbz game developers just need to change the icons that infringe on the IP, so the majority are acceptable (trees, grass, dirt, etc.). I still don't understand what makes this difficult.

The part that takes forever is getting rid of the related game elements (why bother keeping FF concepts/themes/elements in something that is no longer an FF game?)

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say that developers neglect gameplay - instead of making something good and fun, you just copied something else. If calling your beam attack "beam attack" instead of what its called in dbz ruins the game, then the beam attack wasnt a good gameplay feature, it was only good because of the dbz theme. It might take a lot of work to make the game fun, but if you just want to make the game no longer infringe in the dbz IP these kinds of changes aren't necessary.
Emasym wrote:
I'm upset that FUNimation is taking this to ridiculous lengths and that people agree.

... you're mad that FUNimation is exercising their legal rights?
Legal right? A lot of those high Dbz games have a copyright and had to go through someone to get it legally termed into there names right?

So why is FUNimation revoking said terms, after its been nearly 10- 11 years? Legal right to slap everyone when they so feel the need to want and control someone else s games.
Tenkichi wrote:
Legal right? A lot of those high Dbz games have a copyright and had to go through someone to get it legally termed into there names right?

Erm, they don't have a copyright. They can't legally have a copyright. Chances are, 99% to 100% of them just put a copyright notice on their hubs because they don't understand copyright law. If one of them actually registered their copyright, then they're in deep shit, as it's not a legal copyright and FUNimation can sue them to kingdom come.
No, they dont, most dbz games use a combination of art stolen from other byond games, and art from various other commercial games, (pretty much any snes-gba game with art they want)

Mine used nothing but content created by myself and my team, had its own story developed, countless assets drawn, and the best combat system any game on byond period has ever had (and no, im not exaggerating that.)

So before you go talking about people not paying attention to gameplay, do some research first.

Pmitch wrote:
Mine used nothing but content created by myself and my team, had its own story developed, countless assets drawn, and the best combat system any game on byond period has ever had (and no, im not exaggerating that.)

Why would it be difficult to make that game original? I've always wondered why people didn't make original anime games in the first place - you're 90% of the way there.
I'd be sad right now, but I'm having trouble getting this big, shit-eating grin off my face.
I just woke up to this. As the guy who codes for and develops Phoenix, this isn't exactly how I wanted to start my day.

For what it's worth, i've been expecting something like this for awhile, as foolish as it is. DBZ represented a rather large portion of the games on Byond.

That doesn't excuse how pointless the C&D was, however. These games are not drawing revenue off of Funimation based products. There's no reason for this other then some legal suit going through the motions.

Still, it's their right.

For my part, I'm going to be stripping all references to Funimation products from Dragonball Phoenix, and re-listing it as an original game. I don't have time to deal with this sort of crap.

Heck, I was in the middle of a massive three part content update, taking place over a week, when this came up. I've had to put the third portion of the content update on indefinite delay, until I can get Phoenix back in legal order.

On another note, on the brighter side of things, if there's one thing this fiasco did get me to do, it was to finally sign up for a membership after almost half a decade to post about this. So cheers, Byond. Hope my $18 serves you well.

Also, the people who belittle other's work because of personal reasons/greed/whatever have "issues". No game is easy to develop. It's a labor of love.
To be honest, this is a good and bad thing. Its not hard to turn a DBZ game into some RPG. Obviously you need to change some icon types, names, and anything pertaining to the show. But whats to stop from someone from remaking it and making super saiyan = evolution?
Forum_account wrote:
Why would it be difficult to make that game original? I've always wondered why people didn't make original anime games in the first place - you're 90% of the way there.

That would defeat the entire purpose of making an anime game.
I just woke up to this. As the guy who codes for and develops Phoenix, this isn't exactly how I wanted to start my day.

For what it's worth, i've been expecting something like this for awhile, as foolish as it is. These games are not drawing revenue off of Funimation based products. There's no reason for this other then some legal suit going through the motions.

Still, it's their right.

For my part, i'm going to be stripping all references to Funimation products from Dragonball Phoenix, and re-listing it as an original game with an "anime" style backstory. Which obviously means there will still be much crazy fighting, and hot blooded spirits and whatnot. Just not Dragonball Z crazy fighting.

I would also encourage you, if you have one of these games and are really dedicated to developing a Funimation owned game, to send an e-mail to Funimation asking for their "blessing".

It is highly unlikely you will get it. But it is most likely the only legal way you will be able to continue development.

If there's one thing this fiasco did get me to do, it was to finally sign up for a membership after almost half a decade to post about this. So cheers, Byond.

Also, the people who belittle other's work because of personal reasons/greed/whatever have "issues".

No game is easy to develop. It's a labor of love. Imagine how you'd feel if you spent five years building your very own custom car from scratch, and some guy drove by, early one morning, and lit it on fire with a molotov cocktail.

I imagine you'd be more then a little irritated yourself.
SuperAntx wrote:
Forum_account wrote:

That would defeat the entire purpose of making an anime game.

You have a point, but YOU are the developer, you can change the programming to suit you in any way possible.
There is one thing to take note. It is indeed possible to create a game that is anime-based or anime-like without needing any show. Look at Bid for Power when they switched from DBZ to something original (though still same gameplay with different abilities and characters).

It can be difficult to make an original anime/manga style game though if you currently lack any ideas of how to work on it. Now, I once was working on a parody mod (for a few different games like Quake 1, Quake 3, Doom 2, and maybe a few others) as well as a few parody games. Character and abilities of course were different as well as a couple other things. Powerlevel and KI might be only a few elements that take from DBZ since nobody can steal those. I'm certainly sure companies (including FUNimation) will steal those though much like the trademark crazies.

Powerlevels can be found in other shows as well, though not in the same exact way. KI usually deals with energy or lifeforce in Japanese (been a while since I've checked up on that information) and is found in different shows.

Remember folks, they can't stop you from making parodies or even original anime/manga games. That is all I have to say.

Edit: I do feel bad for some who charge nothing for their games and worked hard on them. For that reason, I could bring the same parody into BYOND some time.
Dont do that We love Dbz games plzz dont remove them
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 15 16