ID:111388

Well...seeing as FUNimation decided to completely screw Anime games, I am guessing Bleach Online is through. I am not officially quitting, due to the fact that I have not yet been able to contact the other team members and get their opinions, but I am going to go ahead and start looking at other prospects.

So, what type of game should I go for? RPG? Action/Adventure? Strategy? I want you to tell me. I will probably need some intricate suggestions as well, as I am not the best idealist. Oh, and anyone who feels up to making some pixel art, feel free to reply here as well. I could always use a few of you.
Bleach isn't owned by FUNimation, but by Viz.
How long will it be before they decide to crack down as well?

I don't see any reason for them not to. Many companies are already cracking down on internet Manga scanlations, and now this...I just don't see Bleach lasting too much longer as-is. FUNimation is just the tip of the iceberg.

Nice catch there, though.
You should either stay with Bleach or start working on a RPG.
This is why I love Nintendo and Game Freak. They could care less as long as it's free-to-play. The only fan game they ever cracked down on was Ekaiyo which was because they forgot to put a disclaimer on the website.
Didn't they throw cease on desists for any site that showed pokémon sprites not too long ago?
I don't think anyone should be moving on just yet.

We should be celebrating. PARTY AT MY BLOG
Kumorii wrote:
This is why I love Nintendo and Game Freak. They could care less as long as it's free-to-play. The only fan game they ever cracked down on was Ekaiyo which was because they forgot to put a disclaimer on the website.

No, they shut down games based on their licenses too:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/02/ nintendo-shuts-down-fan-made-pokemon-mmo

And a disclaimer is NOT a catch-all to screw copyright and do whatever you want with someone else's work. A disclaimer is only used to note that you are not playing an official product and that you are acknowledged of the possible problems that can arise from it.

Meaning it does nothing to keep you from getting DCMA'd.

Pokemon World Online, a pretty honest reproduction of Kanto and Johto, was available.

Nintendo shut it down.

PS: Yes, it was a Pokemon MMO.
Some tips I've encountered when researching how to improve Shinzui:
1. Have an imaginative spin on gameplay. This could be time-based skills, turn-based combat of some sort, or creative multiplayer interaction. This creates a fresh feel.
2. Make a strong single-player core, with multi-player support built around it. More players will be drawn & kept regardless of how many people are "online to play with."
3. Keep it cohesive. Everything should "click" together, without something seeming out of place (this applies to everything). Having a sudden plot jerk, or sudden magic skills in a up-til-then hack&slash game (etc) will feel weird.
4. Be thorough. Don't be satisfied with how developed you make something and think you'll come back to it. Finish things before you move on, otherwise you'll likely never come back to it.
5. Be modular. The more "controls" and points throughout procs you can add something, the better & easier you can add unforeseen things in the future.
6. Use datums for abstract concepts, such as cooldowns, skills or events. They have a massive amount of freedom.

I could go on, but I'm sure you know quite a lot already. ;)