ID:1116431

So, I recently recovered my Byond files again, and came back to realize, most people or games' staff don't really grasp the concept of a PvP game. Yes, PvP is player versus player, but it seems that is just a tool to use against people so they can roam around "teaching" lessons to players that choose to stand out somewhere and train or even just minding their own business. Regardless to the person's motivation for being in the open, people feel the need to antagonize their decision by killing or defeating them just because it is a "PvP game." Players can get annoyed with this quite easily, and most likely end up quitting, or just never really experiencing the game to it's fullest extent(whatever that may be). So basically what I'm getting at on this pointless ramble is that the versus in that PvP acronym, in my opinion generally can describe a challenge rather than a beatdown, otherwise it isn't really a "versus," or a "competition," if you will, but rather just misguided entertainment for a staff member and/or extremely advanced player to have at another person's expense. Anyway, that's what has been on my mind as of late, until next time.
The versus simply means "against". It doesn't suggest that the two players involved are equal in skill. Most players who perform "beatdowns" can do so because they practice and put more effort into the game than the average player. Like I tell a bunch of people in Dota 2 who whine when they're losing: "If this game is too hard for you, there's always Minesweeper." If you don't like the competitive atmosphere and learning curve of PvP-focused games, don't play them.
The issue is that PvP on BYOND simply means that players can kill other players the same way they would enemy mobs/npcs. Most games which are similar in lack of game design philosophy as anything related or similar to Zeta are simply a few components of a game but lacking a completed product (goals, missions, programmed gameplay rules/regulations).

It'd be easy to have no player killing zones, itd be easy to have a game design which has a purpose involving fighting other players (factions, etc). However when you have a free for all game with no designated PvP areas and the power curve is entirely linear then you run in to very un-entertaining situations.
It is certainly annoying in MMOs, where level differences can make it impossible for you to win a fight. Which is why I don't play them. I prefer games where proficiency is only achieved by being good at the controls, as well as strategy. Characters remain the same, you have to get better at using them
In response to EmpirezTeam
I see where you're coming from. In a game based on skill, all players have the potential to beat each other based on how much they practice and perfect their technique. Unfortunately, many BYOND games don't require skill, but instead have players one hit K.Oing each other based on their training (consisting mindlessly hammering a button six thousand times).
In response to EmpirezTeam
Well, now that I think of it, I wouldn't necessarily say most BYOND games, because that's not true. I'm thinking of the majority of anime fan games on this site.
Most of the PvP games are unbalanced, and if we would point to someone, that would be the anime community.
Indeed, a good Player-versus-Player game, would require more skill instead of just being killed by a simple hit.
But it is also true that people that have been playing for weeks, or months, should have an apparent advatange over new comers.
We can't just expect a level one warrior kill our level 100 mage, would we?
In response to Raruno
Raruno wrote:
I see where you're coming from. In a game based on skill, all players have the potential to beat each other based on how much they practice and perfect their technique. Unfortunately, many BYOND games don't require skill, but instead have players one hit K.Oing each other based on their training (consisting mindlessly hammering a button six thousand times).

I was actually referring to PvP games in general and not necessarily BYOND games, but yes, I do remember back in my Zeta rip days, all you had to do was AFK train for about 2 or 3 days and you can click the "Punch" verb and instantly kill someone. Somehow when you're younger you find crap like that exciting.