ID:111988

Well I'm taking a course in school called "Design Visual Communication" which involves using computer programs such as Photoshop or Illustrator to make designs and such.. At any rate, I'm displaying some images for people to check out to see if they like or not. Please give me some feed back. Thank You!

Jin Kazama Banner

Ichigo Banner(This is before he shows his Final Getsugatenshou in the Anime so I had to use the fan art image. This also happens to be my first image I made.)

Nightmare Org Banner

These Images down here are for Spatial Publics weekly magazine called "Spatial Weekly". You can check it out on the website. You can see some of the images are "photoshopped".(On the fourth Cover, Naruto's Rasenshuriken was missing the top so I had to copy from the side and paste it.) The main tools I use is the Text Tool and Magic Wand Tool. Other times I have to manually erase but its not a big issue.

Second Cover

Third Cover

Fourth Cover

Final Cover. (This cover is most reason).
I'm no graphic designer in any way, but each of them have the following traits:

a) Way too much activity. It's hard to keep focused on what I should be looking at.

b) It appears as if you just copied and pasted images together and just wrote on top of them. The images should merge better.
Doesnt look like much work was put into any of this stuff at all, to be perfectly honest. You should create your own art for this stuff, and if not, atleast make sure things flow and match correctly. Atm it looks like you're justs pasting anime/game characters on random, unmatching backgrounds and putting random styled and colored text nearby. Id hope your instructor is telling you the same things.
Use filters, blend, etc to create your own backgrounds. Everything you showed here can be done in paint. Don't just Google a nice looking background and copy/paste some things on it, then place text on it. Look up some tutorials.
I'm only limited to the images of sites that aren't blocked by my schools blocker. But I thank you for your opinions. Hopefully when I get photoshop at my house, I can expand my creativity and artwork.
MDC wrote:
Use filters, blend, etc to create your own backgrounds. Everything you showed here can be done in paint. Don't just Google a nice looking background and copy/paste some things on it, then place text on it. Look up some tutorials.

The backgrounds for the banners were made or preset but edited (either darkened or lightened) in photoshop. The Magazine covers were googled but That is the "Spatial Public" background hence the Space Theme.
Zangetsu Joyner wrote:
The backgrounds for the banners were made or preset but edited (either darkened or lightened) in photoshop. The Magazine covers were googled but That is the "Spatial Public" background hence the Space Theme.

You can easily create a decent looking space themed background in a few minutes if done right. You just need to look for tutorials. It's one thing to use renders but it's another to not even create anything on your own. Try out a few tutorials and make your own backgrounds, you'll be surprised with what you make.