ID:112672

Not a bug
BYOND Version:481
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 11.0.696.60
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Pressing buttons that have text arguments in their commands do not display properly in output elements.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Create an Output and a Button element
2. Write a verb with an "as text" argument that will output the text argument to the Output element.
3. Assign the button's command to the verb written in step 2.
4. Compile and test

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
client/verb/whatever(txt as text)
if(txt) src<<output(txt,"default.output1")

Expected Results:
For the text passed to the verb to be shown in the output element.

Actual Results:
Parentheses and quotations are shown along with the text, and if the command has a hyphen to represent a space, then whatever is after the hyphen and the parentheses + quotations + text are shown.

Sample Output Result
("Text")

//instead of

Text

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time
In other games? In my other projects that this never happened to before build 481 (and possibly before 480)
In other user accounts? Why wouldn't it?
On other computers? Not sure

When does the problem NOT occur?
I wish...

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? This did not happen in, I believe, 479. If it did, then it was earlier than that.

Workarounds:
I have no idea :(
I tried to figure out what you're trying to say is a bug...only thing I see wrong is in your snippet where you have the text being outputted to "default.button1" and not an output. :|
Indeed, there's too much ambiguity about this report. I've used arguments in buttons without incident so I have to believe this is entirely user error, but without the actual verb and the actual button command to look at there's no way to be sure. This report is incomplete.
Sorry, it's supposed to be "output1".

And there is no ambiguity... Follow the instructions, and see what is output. I was getting ("Text") instead of just Text in the output.

Although I found this to be caused by some other funky programming in my project. I don't know how or why, but it was preventing things from being output properly.

I was using a datum for a "health" and "energy/mana" variable and somehow DreamSeeker didn't like it at all. It compiled no problem, but then during runtime I was getting errors like unrecognized verbs and such. One of the bugs it caused was the funky output in my report.
Yeah...still, there's nothing wrong in the way it outputs. It outputs exactly what I input in the input that comes up when I press the the button.
The ambiguity is in the fact that you're talking about a combination of a button command and a verb, but only the verb is listed in your report. You didn't provide enough info to reproduce the problem; hence SSX was unable to reproduce it either.

Based on your followup comment, do you mean to say this is a non-issue after all and should be closed? If you believe there's still a bug, I can look into it if you add the missing information or include a demo project to test.
Yeah just close it. I have no idea how or why this happened. I replaced the datums with normal variables and it works again.