ID:112891

An update for my ever changing route. At this point I will leave Copenhagen on May 9th to take the City Night Line train to Utrecht, Netherlands. From there I will cycle thru Antwerp, Belgium, then along the coast to Dunkerque, France and cross the English Channel by ferry to Dover, UK.

From Dover I will mostly follow a combination of main roads, regional cycle routes, and large sections of national cycle routes along the coast heading west - whatever keeps me from doing too many hill climbs. Projected arrival in the Cornwall/Penzance region: May 15th.

You should be able to check out my position when I stop each night (local GMT time) from the two maps located on the right side of my blog at http://thedigitalmouse.blogspot.com. Near bigger cities and towns with wifi access, I'll post blog entries here and update my position more accurately.

If you live anywhere along the way, look for this vehicle and wave!

From the Nomad Wildcat album

Current projected tour route looks something like this:

Utrecht-to-Dunkerque ~300 km (~186 miles)
IFRAME: http://maps.google.com/ maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Utrecht,+The+Netherlands&a mp;daddr=51.32628,4.35257+to:51.32768,3.20348+to:Unknown+roa d&hl=en&geocode=FR7VGgMdofdNACk3LdM5Q2_GRzHpSq8ZTPzI 1g%3BFUgtDwMdOmpCACkfUX71vgvERzGCK7n4fdJRgg%3BFcAyDwMdmOEwAC mr3ES4vqnERzFd4tDHgL-Ycg%3BFeqACgMdlHIhAA&mra=ls&via =1,2&dirflg=w&doflg=ptk&sll=51.539502,3.779297&am p;sspn=2.032869,5.817261&ie=UTF8&ll=51.542919,3.7792 97&spn=3.41665,3.845215&z=7&output=embed
View Larger Map

Dover-to-Corwall ~608 km (~378 miles)
IFRAME: http://maps.google.com/ maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Dover,+United+Kingdom& daddr=50.7715,0.27381+to:50.78848,-0.66683+to:50.89117,-1.32 257+to:50.723,-1.90732+to:50.73358,-2.78455+to:50.35305,-3.9 2766+to:50.36459,-4.3303+to:50.36116,-4.45629+to:50.34117,-4 .65186+to:A30&hl=en&geocode=FWktDAMdoQEUACn_MjNV0aTeR zFRSNdah1x4Mg%3BFSy2BgMdki0EAClZeEjpV3HfRzEBLZ2yLa4OEw%3BFYD 4BgMdMtP1_ymp_0WTOKx1SDErbYAx8F6HQQ%3BFaKJCAMdttHr_ykfEmo6xn F0SDHRiYytLa4OEw%3BFbj4BQMdiOXi_ylfhnSFoKFzSDHAoHutLa4OEw%3B FQwiBgMd2oLV_ykhqbqXnGRySDHDTdpUMHOAVA%3BFZpTAAMdlBHE_ykFdjb aD-ZsSDHAy02yLa4OEw%3BFa6AAAMdxOy9_yk_ULsmpJBsSDFxq9dOQfQQEw %3BFUhzAAMdngC8_ymR7kX0FZxsSDFxENhOQfQQEw%3BFTIlAAMdrAS5_ynv5 bFkH2RrSDFk_GCmPx3g9A%3BFRjz-wIdeAKp_w&mra=dpe&mrsp= 2&sz=10&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9&dirflg=w&sll=5 0.838034,-0.163422&sspn=0.516012,1.454315&ie=UTF8&am p;ll=51.138001,-1.82373&spn=6.895566,9.865723&z=6&am p;output=embed
View Larger Map

Total distance covered: ~908 kilometers / ~564 miles

Now these are not the 'actual' routes, just something I whipped in Google Maps to give me an overview of the land. But they are pretty close to the preferred route. I will most likely chose nearby main roads that offer straighter or faster routing. You get the general idea.
What is that thing called? That thing you're riding in?
A recumbent tricycle, with funky chassis.
it's a Steintrike Nomad recumbent trike, with a glass-fiber nose to improve aero-dynamics and provide weather protection. this particular 'nose'- the grey/blue part - is a prototype nose fairing called a Wildcat. So the whole vehicle is dubbed a 'Nomad Wildcat'.

fully enclosed versions are often called velomobiles.

@Stephen: a chassis is the base frame of a motor vehicle or other wheeled conveyance - the trike itself, in this case. i think you meant to say "nose fairing". :D
That looks awesome.
digitalmouse, how much does it cost you to take these trips? I'd imagine they are a very efficient way of making cheaper vacations possible, whilst increasing your exercise along the way!

I love biking, but am far too young to have enough money to get out of the country, but this seems like a good idea for the future to me.
digitalmouse wrote:
it's a Steintrike Nomad recumbent trike, with a glass-fiber nose to improve aero-dynamics and provide weather protection. this particular 'nose'- the grey/blue part - is a prototype nose fairing called a Wildcat. So the whole vehicle is dubbed a 'Nomad Wildcat'.

fully enclosed versions are often called velomobiles.

I was just asking because out of all the years of my experienced life, I have never laid eyes on something so... abstract.

Do you know what kind of ridicule you would have to endure if you were to ride something like this to school?
CauTi0N wrote:
digitalmouse, how much does it cost you to take these trips?

typically i spend as little or as much as i need or want to, but it averages to about $10/day i guess.

i mostly consume water, fruits, and juices to keep the energy up during the ride, and a light meal for breakfast and dinner. i do a lot of 'wild camping' (camping in woods/fields/friendly people's backyards or farms), so the only big expense is the occasional ferry or train to cover large distances, or an unforeseen repair to the trike.

money is a big issue with velomobiles, with a decent ones starting at around $6,000-$7,000 USD. but the prices are dropping quickly each year (already down $2000 from models 2 years ago). the trike above is about $3,500, and the nose fairing is another $1,500.

prices will continue to drop as more trike and velomobile companies start switching to mass production to win people over. for short-to-medium range cycling the velomobile is typically more cost effective, cheaper, healthier, *and* faster for the short-range commute (up to 15 km / 10 miles) through cities. my 5 km route to work takes about 15-20 minutes (less if i hit the stop light timing just right). faster than a car or public transport can do over the same route through Copenhagen.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Do you know what kind of ridicule you would have to endure if you were to ride something like this to school?

in the 5 years of driving several of these types of vehicles, i've never experienced 'ridicule'.

mostly elation, curiosity, surprise, the occasional laugh from drunk people, and a lot of "wow-thats-cool" commentary is what i do get. and lots of questions (how comfy? how fast? etc.).

some of these velomobiles are just down-right cool, and fast.

https://picasaweb.google.com/jimm.pratt/SPEZI2008#
https://picasaweb.google.com/jimm.pratt/ RecumbentsVelomobilesAndTrailers#

and i teach at a local college.

ridicule is the refuge of the ignorant or jealous.
Your life seems very calm. You seem like you know what you want, and you love what you do.
CauTi0N wrote:
Your life seems very calm. You seem like you know what you want, and you love what you do.

being semi-retired at age 43 will do that to you. :)

semi-retired... *sigh*. This looks like a great time. Be safe and if you need a contact in Amsterdam, I can offer up my relatives. ;)
PopLava wrote:
...if you need a contact in Amsterdam, I can offer up my relatives. ;)

offer them up for what exactly? ritual sacrifice to the bike gods? o.O

*sigh* and if you read my post, you'll know i don't go to Amsterdam, but to Utrecht, then head south-west from there. Amsterdam is north of Utrecht.