ID:114709

BYOND Version:486
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 4.0.1
Applies to:Dream Maker

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary: My source is suddenly having compilation issues. Everything compiles fine as I can run the game afterwards but it freezes when finished compiling with a "Not Responding" type error.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem: Not entirely sure, I know I have a bunch of rather large .png images I use and loading them into the .rsc separately seems to stop it from crashing at the end of compilation.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
It's an icon problem.

Expected Results: For the source to allow me to keep working.

Actual Results: It stops responding at the end of compilation.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time I load up the source and haven't loaded images seperately.
In other games? I'm gonna say probably but I have no way to check.
In other user accounts? Yes.
On other computers? Yes.

When does the problem NOT occur? I've tested and confirmed that it's definitely the icons causing the crash. It doesn't occur when loading the images in groups rather than all at once.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? This problem does occur in any version of BYOND as far as I went back.

Workarounds: Load the images in groups rather than all at once.

You know I find this seems to be caused by a lot of big icon formats. I'm using several different icons of a rather large size (544x544). It seems to be nitpicky on allowing me to compile it and not. The game runs fine afterwards but it seems to be caused by these specific images to cause a Not Responding error. I know BYOND can handle it cause otherwise the ran compilation wouldn't even work.
The only workaround to this error is that I have to disable a bunch of icons when testing other things. Even disabling the map doesn't work I have to remove the icons from the .rsc altogether. Again the game compiles fine with or without the images. It just freezes at the end of compilation and I can't do anything else afterwards besides close it and start it back up.
Disabling the automatic FILE_DIR feature will greatly reduce the compile time of larger projects.
Ah hmm maybe that can help with compile time but it doesn't seem to fix the freezing issue.
More often than not the freezing is just the compiler taking a long time to compile your game. If you let it sit for a minute it'll complete its task and return to normal.
The problem with it is that it compiles just fine. The game is even finished compiling altogether. It only freezes when it's finished compiling >_> if that makes sense.
Well it doesn't matter what version I use it still causes issues. I changed the icons to .png's instead and compiling them all still causes the weird Non Responsive error at the end of Compilation.

The only workaround to this is that I have to compile them in groups and it allows me to use all of them in during the session. However if I close the Dream Maker and open it back up I have to start over with compiling one at a time or it'll crash again.

To re-clarify the compile does finish every time. It only crashes when it's finished compiling and doesn't cause any problems that I'm aware of to the .dmb or .rsc that is created. The crash only affects my ability to continue working in Dream Maker and edit any maps without compiling in groups or disabling a portion of the images.
Changed the images from .dmi to individual .png images and the source still crashes at the end of compilation.
DMI files are PNG files so that wouldn't make a difference.

I really suspect the issue here is that you're compiling a very large world and running up against memory limitations on your computer. How much memory do you have?