ID:115414

So, I've neglected Imperatorum this week, due to a few things. Mostly I just needed a break, but also, Star Trek: TNG is now available to stream on netflix. I blame this for my lack of work. I did do a little bit, but not enough to merit a full update.

I did play with a few things for another project I'm working on. I'm toying with a world that expands and procedurally generates new areas at runtime. When you get close enough to the edge of the world, it expands the map and generates land into the area near you. So far it's working fairly well, I've expanded a 10x10 map into a 1000x1000 map without any lag(using a dummy generation proc, just random mostly), and it seems to work moderately well, no glitches or anything yet.

What I'm having the most trouble with is the actual generation of new terrain. Because I'm not just randomly placing seeds and letting them do their thing on a predefined map, I end up with a more minecraft style map, everything is just sort of randomly stuck around with no real consistency. So, I'd like to ask anyone more familiar with procedural generation than I for some tips or suggestions for ways of possibly fixing that.

As for what the generator is actually for, it technically fits the bill for 2 of my non-Imperatorum projects, one of which is a zombie based survival game, something along the lines of Archipelago/Stranded with zombies.

Anyway, thanks for reading, sorry about the lack of updates for Imperatorum for anyone who cares, and I'll be getting back to that next weekend hopefully.
That's funny. Star Trek: Voyager just started streaming on Netflix as well so I have been busy recently watching it and not working on things I should be doing. XD
High five! I started watching TNG from episode 1, I'm mid season 2 now.