ID:116099

BYOND Version:488
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium
Web Browser:Chrome 13.0.782.55
Applies to:DM Language

A member of our crack team of bug testers has verified that this issue is reproducible, and has handed it off to the development team for investigation.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
See this. The icon (this is the size) is being cut off when there is opacity blocking the root (being the left-most tile), but not the whole icon.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Make a large icon.
Put it on the map, and make it so you can obscure just the bottom-left-most corner of it.
Load the map, and see it there.
Walk into the opacity, and see the whole icon vanish.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
For the whole icon to be visible, no matter what.

Actual Results:
The icon is chopped off.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time.
In other games? I imagine so.
In other user accounts? I imagine so.
On other computers? I imagine so.

When does the problem NOT occur?
When not using opacity.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
I'm unsure.

Workarounds:
Chop up the icon when it is created and spawn some dummy objects.. although that can be rather intensive.
I've also been encountering this.
I'm still looking at this, but my test project does not show this problem coming up. So far I'm wondering if the problem is due to the object not being actually a lot larger. If so I'll have to make some adjustments to my routines.
Here is what I'm working with. Just run it, select mage/thief/warrior (it really doesn't matter), and walk around on the test map.
The object is a simple 4x4, just a large icon, and the turf is dense/opaque. You have to obscure the root part of it completely, or else it doesn't poof, but I hope this helps.
I'm guessing the issue is that the icon isn't displayed if the main atom it's attached to isn't in the view, which would make the tiles that are still in the players view disappear.
It's not so much that it isn't in view as that it's obscured by opacity. I found it difficult to work around that issue in any easy way, but I'll be looking into some options that might help. Ironically this isn't an issue at all for atoms that are legitimately out of view, as in completely out of the normal turf bounds "seen" by the client, because those are handled differently.
Once locs are in, this could probably be handled better!
I thought so, but it turns out to be a harder problem than that.