@Forum_account:

What you're missing is that we live in a society where *no hair*... not "the explicit depiction of no hair" but "no explicit depiction of hair"... is read to be the same as "short hair".

And "no articulated hips at all" is read to be "narrow hips" rather than "hip width unspecified".

A chest with no features at all is seen to be a chest that specifically has no female breasts, not a chest that lacks both male and female identifiers. The missing male identifiers are less... protuberant... but they're still missing.

If you're not getting this I really don't expect you to ever grasp the fine point on the chest, but just look at male iconography re: hair. If you've never thought about it you might think "Okay, well, baldness is more typically seen as a male trait so the generic male stick figure is bald." But as the xkcd examples (or the "short hair" on my icon) demonstrate, that's not really how it works in our culture.

In the world we live in, no depiction of hair whatsoever == no information about hair conveyed == default hair == "male" short hair. That's not a side effect of the fact that long hair is short hair and then some. It's about marked and unmarked cases.
AlexandraErin wrote:
Blocky icons aren't masculine. You can't show me a man shaped like that. But blocky figures are just not that good at conveying femininity, and in the absence of femininity the default assumption holds.

Earlier you argued an icon Antx posted isn't truly androgynous because it has features which enable it to be seen as feminine - but at the same time you're arguing that because I can't show you a man shaped like a block, that therefore this isn't a masculine trait. Obviously I can't show you a woman shaped like Antx's icon, so what's up?

I think the problem is, you're arguing color and shape have nothing inherently masculine to them, which I agree with - I think it's sociological conditioning. However, masculinity is in itself defined by society. The fact is, our society considers certain colors, and certain shapes, to resemble the image of a man moreso than a woman. Likewise, there are certain traits which bring to mind the image of a woman moreso than a man. I think arguing about that is much beyond the scope of this discussion, which is whether your icon is truly biased or not. The fact is, the following pixel figures are completely genderless, but a slightly sharper angle and a different colour completely changes the gender we'd associate with them: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/8/capturexll.jpg/.

We'll never prove this without a time machine or a portal to a parallel universe, but I'll bet if I'd started with a figure that had a four-pixel waste and thinner arms and shoulders and presented that as my gender neutral icon I'd have people (possibly some of the same people!) telling me it's too feminine to stand in for the sort of male figure that might be swinging broadswords around.

Of course, the game's premise is in and of itself biased. We are sociologically conditioned to believe an adventure game needs a masculine hero (whether male or female). There is nothing socially odd about associating masculinity with a powerful warrior, which is what your image seems to depict.
AlexandraErin wrote:
If your icon is a human, then it must have a neck. Humans have necks, your icon has a neck.

Okay, then show me the nose in the following image of a human face:

:)

The problem with this argument is that we are culturally conditioned to 'see' a smiley face in this image. I'll bet if you showed a colon and a right parenthesis to someone living in the 16th century, they wouldn't have seen a face in there. Likewise, our experience of pixel art gets us to associate certain shapes with the pixelated depiction of the human body. These shapes include a defined neck, and if there isn't a neck we try to somehow see 'why' (hence seeing a thick neck or a helmet there).
AlexandraErin wrote:
In the world we live in, no depiction of hair whatsoever == no information about hair conveyed == default hair == "male" short hair. That's not a side effect of the fact that long hair is short hair and then some. It's about marked and unmarked cases.

I kind of understand that, but I still don't understand it fully. You wouldn't assume that a lack of hips means wide hips or that a lack of hair means long hair. Assuming that a gender-neutral icon is a depiction of a bald, genderless being is far more strange than making an arbitrary gender assignment.

I suppose that I assume gender-neutral characters to be male, but I'm male and the person who made the computer game character is probably male too. If I'm going to make some assumption about the character's gender, assuming male is reasonable.

It seems like the question is: do women assume gender-neutral characters to be male or female? Why?

Edit:
People make gender assumptions about non-human cartoon characters whether they have hair, hips, or not. I think it's just human tendency to assign gender to things (maybe that explains languages that have masculine and feminine nouns, this practice always confused me), I don't think it's a way of slighting the females by saying "male is normal, female is a special case".
Here's the thing, though.

If I show you a simple "male" figure like on a restroom door, you read it as a guy with short hair without thinking about it.

Put the simple flared lines indicating a dress/skirt on, and the figure becomes "female". And if you extrapolate it to a person, you're not thinking specifically "woman with short hair"... because that's not the "female default".

Or to use another example: women in xkcd are distinguished purely by hair. You don't look at the stick body with no other difference from the male stick body and conclude "This is a flat-chested woman with hips like a boy." Once female gender is assigned, in the absence of any information to the contrary, there is no dissonance caused by the lack of breasts because it's actually a lack of information to the contrary of the default assumption about breasts.

No information = default. With the gender assigned as female, default = noticeable breasts and hips.

And once we've established that a stick doesn't need breasts to be a "normal breasted" woman or a door legend doesn't need long hair to be a "normal haired" woman, it becomes apparent that it's not the lack of explicitly depicted hair or breasts or hips or anything else that makes the "default stickman" or "default door icon" male.

Or rather, it is all of that. If nothing says woman, nothing needs to say man.

Default.

(The stick figures are a good example of how there can be an equal lack of information about male chest. You're preconditioned to think of a male chest as "plain" or "empty" or "blank" compared a female chest, but it would take as much added detail to turn a stick into a realistic male chest as it would to make it a female one. A sexless body like a rectangle or a stick conveys no information except "here is a body". The details are inherited, object-oriented style.)

So again, it's not a matter of assuming a lack of hips/hair means "little hips/hair". It's a pure default assignment. Putting an explicit gender assignment on the figure through other means changes what the "lack" means, because the lack actually means nothing... the default assignment is carried over from our assumptions. If our culture had men with long hair but all other things were the same, a circle with lines coming off it to make a body and limbs would still read as male because that's the default case for human being in our society. In the absence of information to the contrary, we'd assume a standard male hair style, which would be long hair.

Likewise, if Randal Murnoe wants to depict a woman with really short hair in his strip, he'd have to specifically draw a short haircut on her and make sure her femininity is assigned some other way. He'd need to override the default inherited gender (male) and also the default hairstyle associated with the new gender (long).

So it's not that "no depiction of hair" naturally extrapolates to "short hair".

I don't think it's a way of slighting the females by saying "male is normal, female is a special case".

Who brought up slighting?

This is why this stuff is so hard to talk about. Hiro thought a casual sociological analysis was a rant. You're defensive about it because you think the world (and by extension, yourself) is being accused of sexism.

Listen. This has nothing to do with intent. It does have everything to do with effects, because the effect is that women are marginalized and denigrated by it.

If the world invents a machine that it depends on for the ongoing welfare of civilization but this machine, say, automatically punches every fifth person in the throat, and someone wants to talk about this problem... is it helpful for everyone to say BUT NOBODY DECIDED TO PUNCH EVERY FIFTH PERSON IN THE THROAT. JEEZ, WHY DOES THE FIFTH PERSON HAVE TO BE SO SENSITIVE? YOU'RE ACTING LIKE WE'RE OUT TO GET YOU!

No. No, it's not. As long as we make proving how little we want to punch people in the throat, the problem of the machine is never going to be addressed or improved.

Now, our society has many tendencies like this "male default" (and "white default", and so on) that have the net effect of disadvantaging, marginalizing, and othering people who don't fit into the "default" and this has actual negative impact. That doesn't mean that people are being actively and overtly racist or sexist or bigoted. But why is proving everyone's intentions are innocent the priority and not addressing the harm?

If people are getting punched in the throat, addressing that should be the priority... not proving our own individual "not-in-favor-of-throat-punching" credentials.
The problem with this argument is that we are culturally conditioned to 'see' a smiley face in this image. I'll bet if you showed a colon and a right parenthesis to someone living in the 16th century, they wouldn't have seen a face in there.

Toadfish: If I turned it 90 degrees and showed it to them, they would. They would likely have no clue what you mean by "colon" and "parenthesis", but by God they'd know a face when they see one.

There's no "cultural conditioning" involved in the emoticon. It's a response to the arrangement of two dots and a line. Because it's sideways some people don't get it the first time they see it, but there's no period of acclimation necessary once they do. Just like there was no educational period necessary to get the yellow smiley "Have a nice day!" face accepted as a face. Just like babies don't need to be preconditioned to recognize two buttons and some yarn stitching as a face, or to smile at a three-pronged outlet. Who teaches them that the electric death hole in the wall is a friendly face, do you suppose?

It would take more conditioning than we know how to do to make a human being look at two dots over a line and not see a human face.

But even if that were not true, my argument holds. You say you're preconditioned to see a face. Okay, so what can you tell me about the nose? Nothing, you assume a normal nose is there. If I want the nose to be big or little or bulbous or even missing I'd have to tell you that some other way.

It's not a long cultural tradition of pixel art at work here. If I were the first person ever to draw a figure in pixels, you'd be saying and thinking the same things. The factor that makes you insist that information is being conveyed would apply to a similar figure across any medium. You're working backwards from an irrational (but ingrained) response and arriving at reasons why the figure -must- be male.
I would assume a gender-neutral figure is male because I'm male. Questioning that arbitrary assumption implies that one side is being slighted by it.

The examples you use all have female counterparts. Is the male figure on the restroom door assumed to be male because that's the default? Or is it because we know that the figure on the door to the women's room is distinctly female and, by deduction, the plain figure on the other door must be male?

The premise that male is default leads to the creation of the plain figure for male and the detailed figure for female. Just because we ended up having the plain figure for male and the detailed one for female doesn't mean the initial premise had to be that "male is default". There are many different potential causes*. My guess is that it's just easier to draw a figure that's clearly female than it is to draw one that's clearly male.

* Maybe the project to design bathroom signs ran out of funding. They spent their time designing the detailed women's bathroom sign and ran out of time. In a rush to finish the men's room sign they only came up with a plain figure. This would explain the result, but that doesn't mean this is how it happened. Things like this happen often, usually with the origins of words (often swear words, but "cops" is an example).
Personally, I see a blank slate character as male because you're more likely to have a bald male than a bald female. Much like a figure with long hair could just as easily be a male with long hair, it's usually assumed to be female at first. When it comes to stick figures, it's mainly about the hair, accessories such as the glasses and pipe just further our justifications for those definitions of male/female.

I know it's a few days old now, I just wanted to throw in my two-cents.
Page: 1 2 3