ID:117039

Keywords: shweet
Yes, one right after the other! I had a pretty much free day today and I figured I'd get to steppin' on the code.

Ver 0.7
-Added Missile Turret*
-Added Explosions! Missiles and dying makes explosions.
-Added Turret/Chassis Selection. (located in menu [esc] Takes effect at next respawn.)
-Added "Team Switching" and "Tank Switching" options to game config.
-Added Textures for roads
-Added Ammo, Ammo Capacity, and ammo modifier.
-Added Drops. (Repair Kits, Ammo Caches)
-Startup Delay is back, but there is a reason for it now, unlike before. Embrace it, if you dare.
-Fixed the Info text at startup. It no longer sounds AS strange as before.

*Missile Turret: The missile turret fires much like the dual turret only a bit slower. It fires missiles that detonate on impact, causing splash damage.

Yes, you read it right folks, I finally included custom tanks setup, although, it's up to the host to determine whether it's on or off. It's on by default though.

AI enemies will still get random turrets/bases, since they can't choose their own. I'm also too lazy to group which turrets go with which chassis so, you'll still see strange setups like tri chassis and sniper turrets.

There's also drops now, so there's that. They restore 20% of whichever stat they dropped from. It boosts survival rate by a bunch. Currently, AI enemies do not recognize drops, but can still pick them up so, yeah, that's for later maybe.

Anyways, I'll stop rambling and let you get to the damned game.

Wait, one last thing!! The game completely supports multiplayer, just remember to use the Tilde (~) to fix the delay bug.

Let me know what you think! =)
Very nice, now I can play with things more consistently. Missiles appear to be completely useless though. They deal next to no damage even to a Tri base. I sat there and let myself be pelted by missiles and took quite a few before dying.

Love the assist turret AI, helps tons. Haven't played with too much just yet, but I'll get back to you when I have.
Really? I thought the missile turret was a bit OPed. I'll beef it up a bit.

I'm glad the assist AI is working properly, or at lest better than before. occasionally they get in your way when trying to attack enemies so I'll look into making them less stupid.
The missiles fire quickly, but they deal next to no damage. Perhaps I was at a very good angle to avoid explosion damage.
BBBUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so I'm being overly dramatic, but the game froze. I was picking a tank setup and apparently it didn't undo whatever pauses the game, now I can't make it unpause.

Anyway, missiles are a bit less underpowered than I thought now that I've really used them. I can't really tell without a testing partner, but it seems like there's a really nice sweet spot against flamethrowers/explosions where they do next to nothing, and that sweet spot appears to be slammed right in their face.
hmm, page me with a server address I'd be glad to help you test it.
Bravo1 wrote:
Really? I thought the missile turret was a bit OPed. I'll beef it up a bit.

Not that this is a perfect indicator of how players will use weapons, but you have AI so you can take advantage of that in determining if weapons are too strong or weak:

Set up a game with two teams. Give each an identical mix of weapons except one team has two missile tanks and the other team has two other turrets (anything but missile). Let the game run for a while and see how they do. If the missile team has way more kills, maybe missiles are too powerful.

Wait, one last thing!! The game completely supports multiplayer, just remember to use the Tilde (~) to fix the delay bug.

What does this mean? What's the "delay bug" (I hope its not something with my library). I haven't had time to test a recent version of this and I haven't played it multiplayer.
You should rename the missile turret,seeings as they're more like rockets.you could add another turret that has homing capabilities which is how missiles differ from rockets.

All in all im really loving the progress,enough where Im even considering helping out with art :)

I also noticed the increase in performance
To Zane444: Thanks! I'll put up a poll to rename the turret for 0.8 and I'll see how it turns out.

If you'd like to help out with making some turf icons here and there then just let me know. I use a 64px base so you have a bit more room for detail. What I like to do is pick a base color, find a texture for the type of ground I'm using online and then make that texture into a semi-transparent overlay with photoshop. Then I just overlay it onto the flat colors and viola: HD turf icons XD

You'd be compensated, at least a little bit. I'm planning to set up a paypal account soon so that I can accept donations. I don't expect to get anything, but I may as well.

To Forum_Account: At the time I had made the post I had forgotten to include the missile turret in the random Tanks setup so none of the mobs were spawning with them, but I did do some testing with robertbanks2 and it turns out they were a bit underpowered.

I usually use the AI to testy that stuff but, being the herp-derp I am, I forgot to test them XD.

The delay issue is byond bug that I discovered recently and it's already been fixed for 490. It caused the automatic delay setting to handle the connection to aggressively, so while the game ran perfectly fine in the backround, DS would only update the map at around 1-2fps instead of 40.

It's nothing to do with p_m. In fact, p_m has been working so well for me lately that I'm a bit urprised at how much stuff I can jam into the movement() loops without causing too much lag. I'm thinking it may have to do with the fact that you've set it up so that everything happens in order, instead of all at once like a lot of other libraries. Props! =)
Zane444 wrote:
You should rename the missile turret,seeings as they're more like rockets.you could add another turret that has homing capabilities which is how missiles differ from rockets.

When reading these update posts I often think "this game needs some weapons that don't just fire in straight lines". Homing missiles would certainly be cool.

Bravo1 wrote:
I'm thinking it may have to do with the fact that you've set it up so that everything happens in order, instead of all at once like a lot of other libraries. Props! =)

Thanks! It's done that way out of sheer laziness, but it's nice when that leads to a good result =)
Absolutely, spawn() loops that a lot of libraries use can cause some serious timing issues. For example, if I use a spawn() for updating the mouse position then the game experiences some choppy visual lag. Yes, spawn makes things happen faster since they cause multiple things to happen at once, but it eats at your cpu. The way you have it set up uses spawn() as a non-restrictive timer (referring to spawn(world.tick_lag) movement_loop() )

When used in the way that you have it, I've noticed, it creates a great ongoing background timer that doesn't interrupt the other procs, but it also doesn't run rampant on your cpu.

I'm now using about 4 procs that are much like that, where they loop using a spawn() timer, and I must say they work super smoothly.

on the idea of homing attacks, Yes. I was thinking of making a tank that just has a radar-tower looking turret and has a little robot that flies around the map following it. This little robot is the actual turret and when you click on a spot it will fire a beam of energy downward, damaging any enemy tank underneath it. So, while it isn't necessarily homing, it does make things much more interesting.

If you do want a more homing turret though, I'll make something like little mines on wheels that pop out and go a certain distance before exploding and causing damage to enemies, that of course will home in on an enemy.

I want to start getting into strange, wacky, and fun turrets, but stuff that isn't too out of hand.

Also, I wish to make a version of this game called "Hanx" Where all bullet graphics are replaced with the face of Hank Hill and all weapon sounds are replaced by various quotes from him. Oh, and the background music is a loop of the KoTH theme.
Bravo1 wrote:
Also, I wish to make a version of this game called "Hanx" Where all bullet graphics are replaced with the face of Hank Hill and all weapon sounds are replaced by various quotes from him. Oh, and the background music is a loop of the KoTH theme.

Do this. Do it and I will love you forever.