ID:1172290

Not really sure where to post stuff like this. Would have done it on my blog, but yeah, can't really do that anymore. I want to make posts more often and give teasers to what I'm working on, but I feel like I'm spamming the forums. Since I'm basically only showing off a purely visual mockup, I guess I'll post it here.

Anyway, working on a new game, which is basically a fast-paced competitive puzzle/arcade game. Each player is given their own board and they have to destroy blocks to get points. They destroy blocks by selecting groups of blocks by dragging the mouse from one block to another, creating a box. The block in each corner of the box must match in order to destroy the blocks. There's special blocks and actions (like messing with the opponent's board) and other fluff, but that's the basics of the game play.

Here is the mockup so far (very early version). If you've played Startegem, you can probably imagine some of what will be around the edges of the interface. This game and Startegem (and others after it) will be linked together through cross server communications and friends lists and such, so I'm aiming for making them visually flow together as best as possible.

I will update this post with newer versions as they are made.

Edit: Latest version

Looks great so far!
If you need any help testing, let me know. ;)
Will there be any way for players to directly interact(hurt/help) with other player's boards?
Looks, great same as Kumorii I'll help you with any testing you need.
Looks nice but also really muted, perhaps the blocks could use a bit more saturation.
I like the colors. They don't burn my eyes.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Doesn't have to hurt your eyes. But it has to be pleasant.
Aaiko wrote:
Not really sure where to post stuff like this.

Why not make a hub entry and post there? Even if the entry isn't complete it will show up in "Game Updates". That was kind of the point of that system but I guess we didn't do it right since no one gets it.

Nice screenshot!
Kumorii wrote:
Will there be any way for players to directly interact(hurt/help) with other player's boards?

Yes. There will be special locations on the board that will give you "items" which are added to a queue, then you will be able to use the item first in line at any time. The items will be things like reset your board, swap boards with another player, freeze another player's board for a couple seconds, add solid blocks to somebody's board, remove solid blocks from your own, and so on.

Pandora'sSecret wrote:
Doesn't have to hurt your eyes. But it has to be pleasant.

Although your version might have too much saturation, after seeing it, I can't look at my own version without realizing how dull it is. Haha. So I went ahead and gave it some more saturation, but still kept it low saturation, which I like. I'm sure it'll go through many more changes along the way.

Tom wrote:
Why not make a hub entry and post there?

Because this is just purely conceptual right now and the game doesn't even have a name. You can't change paths after the hub is created.

This sounds very interesting. I'll probably keep track of this and see how things go. As far as the graphics go, could you try making everything except the board (blocks) be slightly brighter? I think changing them all is throwing it off, but if everything except those were slightly brighter then it'd really flow better. Pandora's inspired this idea, though his was Too bright.
Made some progress on the mockup. Still not final, but here's where it's at so far.

I also think it needs a lot more color. Pandora's edit looks way better
In response to Egor
Egor wrote:
I also think it needs a lot more color. Pandora's edit looks way better

I agree, it looks so gloomy :(