ID:117551

BYOND Version:489
Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Web Browser:Firefox 7.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Recently many people have been noticing a huge amount of lag when using Javascript to get the mouse position. For example, in Tanx, or any other project that uses HDKMouseKeys. (or any other custom Javascript that grabs mouse coords)

I've noticed that the problem only occurs when the mouse is within a map control, if it's outside the window or in another control, such as the output, it works fine. There's even issues with DS detecting MouseDown and MouseUp.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
It only shows up on more process heavy projects and it mainly affects weaker dual core (below 2.6ghz) and single core (below 3.6ghz) CPUs

Expected Results:
Mouse coordinates update correctly with javascript when moving over a map control

Actual Results:
Mouse coordinates are often not sent. This only occurs over map controls.

When does the problem NOT occur?

When the cursor is not over a map control.

Workarounds:
None yet, but I'm working on it. Using MouseEntered() to get the mouse position works, but is much less accurate.

The problem is experienced in Vista Home Premium 64-bit as well.
And Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, quad core. Before the issue started, I had installed IE9. I downgraded to IE8 and disabled IE altogether, and it still doesn't work. I downgraded BYOND to version 470, still doesn't work.

It hasn't happened yet on my much weaker, older laptop.

When I play my shootah game, which uses HDK's mouse library, it doesn't get extremely laggy, the aim just doesn't work. In the library's demo and Tanx, it lags so much that I can't close the window, and Tanx's title screen doesn't show up except for the tank image.
That might actually be a dll problem you have there.

I remember trying to fix this on my own and it turned out to do nothing. It's probably a registry error in your case.

http://lkamal.blogspot.com/2007/08/ gwt-ie7-element-not-found.html

See what that does for you. If it's already set to what it tells you to, then try switching it. Also make sure you have the dlls before anything. Try making a restore point as well, just in case.
I have ieframe.dll in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ instead of system32, probably because of 64-bit. The .dll is also in system32, but it gives me an error when I try to edit the value.
Same issue on windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.
7 Ultimate as well
I was not able to verify this myself, so the issue may be system-specific. A more concrete demo might help, though I did in particular try to use the library suggested.

A retest in 490 might be in order however because the mouse command behavior was changed in that version.
I've found a fix for this problem. One of Microsoft updates screws up the Internet Zone settings in the registry, and this is why Javascript is not called in applications. To fix this open the registry editor
(Start > Run > regedit.exe)
and search the entry
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Internet Settings\Zones\
There you should have some folders 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4. In my case I had a folder named "L" before the 0.
If you have this, delete the "L" Folder and restart your System.
Darker Legends wrote:
I've found a fix for this problem. One of Microsoft updates screws up the Internet Zone settings in the registry, and this is why Javascript is not called in applications. To fix this open the registry editor
(Start > Run > regedit.exe)
and search the entry
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Internet Settings\Zones\
There you should have some folders 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4. In my case I had a folder named "L" before the 0.
If you have this, delete the "L" Folder and restart your System.

Not sure if it's entirely safe to do but I'll try it out.
It worked for me. But could you tell me if it works for you too?