ID:117702

The board game contest went beautifully. I can't thank everyone enough for all of the support whether you participated and developed an entry, voted and supported the contestants, hosted the entries during voting or just plain rooted on our contestants. I want to thank everyone for your support of our mission. Our success depends upon those developers and participants.

SDGuild contests could use some help, however. Cash prizes are cool and all, but let's get some help from all of you SDGuildlings [see what I did thar? hurrhurr] for some prizes. (Cash prizes will also exist along side this idea. Don't worry :P)

I'm not asking for your money. (aside from the donate button over in the top box on the left of my page, but that's a different endeavor altogether) You can donate a subscription to your game for however long you like be it one month, six months, a year, lifetime or whatever other timeframe you wish. You can do that by clicking here. The link will take you to the "Game Author Donations" portion of the SDGuild's forum. Thanks ahead of time for anyone that either considers it or gifts us a subscription to give away in a future contest.

It doesn't have to be a subscription at all. You can donate anything you like. (Except Lebron James jerseys. We don't accept those.)

Simple Developments Hosting Services are still lacking clients and customers. I think the prices are fairly cheap. If you're looking for hosting, give us a shot, and we'll do our best not to disappoint. All money made during this will be put directly into the contest prize fund and given back to our winners. I'm hoping to generate enough revenue to start offering larger cash prizes as well as a prize for the silver medal. Let's see what we can get done!

We're not all about contests, however. That's just a clever rouse to make you guys develop something! That's right! The secret is out of the bag now. You caught me. So, tell me. Have any of you learned anything yet? Has anyone learned the lesson I'm trying to teach? The lessons go hand-in-hand with my "It isn't about the size" blog posts I made not too long ago. (You can find the first one here and the second one here in case you missed them.)

Here's the basic overview of the idea:

1) Games are meant to be fun. It doesn't take a year to make a fun game. It only takes a good idea and some effort.

2) Making games is also meant to be fun. For all of you that participated in any of our contests, I'm sure you had a few smiles and a bit of a sense of accomplishment at least once or twice.

3) It doesn't take a genius to make a game. Believe me, I'm no genius. (surprise!)

4) Developing, programming, pixel art, GFX and anything that goes with it is a bit addictive. Once you start down that path, you're hooked.

I remember my first game. It was ugly! The object of the game was to run around digging holes to see what you can find. I spent forever on it, due to fail knowledge and inexperience. But I remember when everything finally came together and my crooked little stick figure dudes were shoveling their rumps off and finding gold, jewelry, underground monsters to fight and all kinds of cool stuff. I was proud of that accomplishment. No matter how ugly it was.

So, get in on the hosting and if you'd be so kind, help us out with some prizes to make things more interesting.

Thanks for reading

Don't wait for a contest! Make something!

Good job ish good.
I spent forever on my game as well xD

But I did have some smiles and felt like I accomplished something. I plan to keep developing.
Hi
Hi double d
Idea:
Make a game where you must travel through the depths of hell. It must use pixel movement.

Etc:
Honestly, I vote for you to use the Byond blue on the background of your posts and comments. Makes things easier to read.
The guild died in less than a month it was out.Lol this is kinda sad.Simple development is a good idea but people generally make big games where there is more stuff to do so they cant make it in like 1 month or 1 week.Anyways hope this guild will be revived.Ciao
Dj dovis wrote:
The guild died in less than a month it was out.Lol this is kinda sad.

No need to preemptively kill it off, though it does need some activitiy. I'm working on a small game and a large game as well, hopefully this guild won't completely die out and I can add to the listed games.

More events need to be worked out, like that medal hunt event you intended to start. More contests would be good too, even if they have non-cash prizes it would be fun, you might be able to get other developers to give subscriptions to their games or something along those lines.

Another suggestion would be to get a team of developers who would work on small games, it could probably draw in a few people. Anyways, this guild could be really useful to get original games out and inspire developers, so hopefully it gets some more activity soon.
Ye I liked the idea my self but come on theres no real post or events so I dont think its gonna stay alive for long.
As in for no cash prizes that totally understandable.There could be some sort of membership that some developer could give to a winner in his game or something like that.
More on the dev contest make them longer and add in more content to be needed i a game.Come on its not like it even hard to make a board game.I know its SIMPLE development guild but dont make it so simple even the newbie that came to byond yesterday can participate
Just because we haven't done anything in two weeks makes us dead? >.> Go away
Dj dovis wrote:
Ye I liked the idea my self but come on theres no real post or events so I dont think its gonna stay alive for long.
As in for no cash prizes that totally understandable.There could be some sort of membership that some developer could give to a winner in his game or something like that.
More on the dev contest make them longer and add in more content to be needed i a game.Come on its not like it even hard to make a board game.I know its SIMPLE development guild but dont make it so simple even the newbie that came to byond yesterday can participate

Jeez that was difficult to understand. But regarding the length of the contests, the idea is that it's supposed to be a simple game, in 10 days of the board game contest we had 5 contestants, I think there was only one who didn't make it. Adding more time then that wouldn't make things better, e.g. PopLava contest.

The board game was a good idea, it's supposed to make it possible for beginners to make their game and enter the contest, it doesn't mean they'll guarantee win, but it does mean they'll feel accomplished for having released a game.
No its because theres no updates or no feed back or not even a forum post in like 2-3 weeks.The one about the game was the only post in weeks