ID:117760

Keywords: colors, design, palette
Working on my previously mentioned project, I found it would be a solid idea to build a working color palette for the graphics within the game. My goal graphically, is to appear to be a professional-looking Nintendo DS-style game.

I noticed that most games around here use a random assortment of colors, causing what I like to call "the barf effect". With this in mind I figured it'd be beneficial to some to share my working palette. Any up-and-coming or preexisting games looking for a graphics overhaul should be able to make use of this on some level. Less colors used allows for a game to look more polished and will decrease download sizes, so keep that in mind.

And with that said, it'd be fantastic if the three people following me would share this with whoever could use it!

-GreenMonkey

Edit: In discussion the NES color palette got brought up, so I took liberty to post it here.

hi
hi
I appreciate the constructive feedback...
Nice, I think I might use this. Thanks!
GreenMonkey wrote:
I appreciate the constructive feedback...

Don't hold your breath.
NES palette is bigger then this...
Megablaze wrote:
NES palette is bigger then this...

than*
Your seriously only working with these colors? Actually that's be interesting...I may try out your interesting palette.
Yo greenmonkey add me on pager
I have a couple pallets I use actually. The best test for a palette is to create a picture with multiple scenes, to see if you can cover everything you would need to make.
If anyone wishes to improve upon this please feel free.

@Megablaze - Shows how little I know if that's true, I just put together colors I can see using and came out with this. Might have to google a NES palette.

@Truseeker - Yes, for now. I may find that I need more shades of red and brown, but otherwise this seems to be large enough to work with. At most I'll add another row.
Actually I came across the NES palette, and it doesn't seem too much larger than my own but I'll post it below my current one in an edit.

Here's a quick link - http://files.byondhome.com/GreenMonkey/Palette_NTSC.png
I've never worked with a palette nor really know the correct to make it. When iconning a set of enemies, I just try to reuse the colors from the previous ones. So do you create a palette as you go along? Or setup a palette with the colors you think you'll need before?
Being my first real game attempt, I figured it'd be better to create the palette ahead of time and recycle as many colors as possible. I might add to it as I go but only if necessary.