ID:117850

Poll: What is your reaction to a game that didn't provide full-screen or resizing?

I wouldn't even consider it. 2% (1)
I would at least give it a shot. 33% (16)
It wouldn't matter to me as long as it looked good. 64% (31)

Login to vote.

Duplicated from the developers forum... (link)

I'm currently working on the interface element of my project and have hit a bit of a wall. Initially I was hoping to allow resizing, but with the current design in mind I can't seem to get it to work. I was planning to place the input and output boxes within the HUD, when re-sized it distorts horribly.

Maybe I'm just struggling with anchors but this is one part of the design I wasn't planning on turning into a time sink, so instead I figured I'd use my "ask the community" lifeline, and I plan on putting a similar poll on my blog. Would you still play a game that didn't allow full-screen capabilities, or would a window-only mode deter you? I plan on making the window large enough to be enjoyable, but sadly it wouldn't work with 800x600 resolutions (and really who uses that these days?).
A lot of people do like to resize things, but then against Flash games are very popular and look at how large those are.
Glad to know I could help you out on this. :)
If the game is fun, I will be in the "zone" while playing it and the screen size wouldn't matter. If the game is horrid, a full screen wouldn't make it any better.
I think small games are fine without resize, demos and the like for example. But if I'm going to be sitting in the game for a while, a resize is usually a good thing. If your having trouble with anchors I can help you out if you send me the skin, I'm usually good with it.
I generally program under the principle that I want my players to have as much ability to customize the display of the game as possible. Because of this, I usually only have a window and a map. I've even gone so far as to include the output as text-on-screen. This allows me to give them the option of the native resolution, 2x resolution, 3x resolution (etc), full-screen, and also the regular maximize and mouse re-sizing. However, if the game is fun, I probably won't care too much about the interface. I just believe that with the BYOND interface, less is definitely more.
My interface consists of a map element, output and input boxes... That's it.

The problem with the layout is that the output and input boxes are integrated as part of the UI. So when resized, I can't ever seem to get proportions to work properly.
If you used childs, that shouldn't be an issue, from what you explain.
I've been toying with the anchors and childs a bit, still really doesn't accomplish my goal. If I had a visual representation I'm sure it would be much more helpful.

Judging by the poll however, I should be safe without worrying about a full screen mode.

Thank you everyone who voted and took the time to comment.