ID:118063

Not a bug
BYOND Version:490
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate
Web Browser:Firefox 6.0.1
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary: When getting near/entering an object with a custom bounding box, the players step_size changes(I don't know the value). For example, I went next to a 96x96 atom and then walked away and my character was hopping every 10 pixels or so. Then when I walk next to a 32x32 mob with default bounding box, my characters movement returns to tile based movement.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Give an atom a bounding box above default. Make sure you don't have a custom step_size set.
2. Set it on the map along with another atom with a default bounding box a few tiles away.
3. Run the game and walk beside the atom with the custom bounding box.(doesn't always occurs but happens 3/4ths of the time for me)

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
    Object
icon='Objects96.dmi'
icon_state="Object"
layer = 50
density=1
pixel_x=-25
pixel_y=-32
bound_x =-25
bound_y = -32
bound_width = 87
bound_height = 96

Expected Results: Constant tile based movement

Actual Results: Tile based movement before approaching bounding box, pixel movement after approaching.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Often
In other games? Honestly don't know but I think so.
In other user accounts? Not sure.
On other computers? Not sure.

When does the problem NOT occur? Been occurring the majority of the time for me.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? N/A

Workarounds: None that I know of.

I don't see anything changing your step_size and I strongly doubt that's happening. What you probably are seeing is that bumping an object is knocking you off the default tile grid so gliding no longer applies. This is actually fully expected behavior.

If you can demonstrate the pixel step actually changing though, by all means please post a demo and I'll look at it.
http://dl106.herosh.com/a029a881ae7d2b9ffa185b8ce2c7ae10/ Demo.zip

Bump into the Rasenshuriken(if you don't know what it is, It's the spinning object) from the left side. Then walk around to see the problem. To fix it, walk to the mob in the bottom left corner of the map.
This is exactly what I thought. You're trying to mix gliding and pixel movement. They don't mix.

When your mob bumps into the spinner, it's acquiring a step_x value which signals the client to stop applying glides to it. If the spinner does not have bounds covering a full multiple of tiles, anything bumping into it can pick up a step_x/y and that will turn off gliding.
Ah, I see. I just changed the bounding box to 64x64 and it seems to be working smoothly. Is there any workaround for this or possibly an update that can be made so that objects can have bounding boxes that aren't multiples of 32x32 without affecting a players step_x/y?
AbdelJN wrote:
Ah, I see. I just changed the bounding box to 64x64 and it seems to be working smoothly. Is there any workaround for this or possibly an update that can be made so that objects can have bounding boxes that aren't multiples of 32x32 without affecting a players step_x/y?

By definition no. If you bump into an object's bounding box it'll cut your movement short at that point. If the bounds are not in full-tile increments then you'll acquire a step_x/y by bumping into them.