ID:118263

Keywords: article
I'm pretty sure there's a quite good amount of you kids or teenagers out there that has inspired by game developers or pixel artists outside of BYOND or within BYOND's community. You have probably pondered about such things such as; "Is it hard to be a game developer?","Do I have to pass special classes?","Do game developers make a good salary?","What does it take to be a game developer?".

The answer is, it all relies on your talent and capability. If you've dreamed about making your own video game, like I do, sometimes, that's perfectly fine and nothing is wrong with it. Becoming a game developer is a substantial process and not many people can do it.

First off, you might probably want to discuss this with your parents -- I did, not saying I'm a game developer, but my dream is to be one. Secondly, if you want to be a game developer you have to take action NOW and not wait to do this. Third, if your mind is directly focused on being a game developer, my advice to you is start producing something now. Opportunities just don't fly out of no where and smack you in the face. You have to chase after them.

1) BYOND is a great way for a person to express their skills on creating games. This may be a hobby to others but for some people it's a step into the gaming world, like myself. Sure, BYOND doesn't provide the most powerful language to write programs, but it's flexible, and at that, its pretty damn good. Currently, I just ordered three C++ books, all three being from beginner to advanced concepts of C++. Being that I can -some what- code in DM, it also guided me to understand things in C++ that would've been difficult for me if it wasn't for BYOND - Thank you, BYOND!

2) It's always good to master multiple things at once and not just work in a specific area. By this I mean, if you want to be efficient at programming or art design don't just study one language or work on one concept of art design.

Further advancing your skills
--------------------------------

Game schools are really expensive. Do you have to go to one? The answer is no. However, that is an great opportunity for some students. I had an option to go to a gaming school, but I didn't. Now, I kind of regret it, though. However, I rather improve my skills by learning on my own, but hey, that's just how things work for me, you can do what ever you want. You can do all of those stuff that are provided in gaming schools on your own, whether it's in DM or in another language, or first-hand drawing then copy it on a drawing program, what ever it is you try it!I have a few techniques that I do: timed assignments, write-down, and process.

Timed Assignments
This is basically assigning assignments to yourself to complete in a certain amount of time. I'll use each profession as an example. Let's say you've always wanted to work on.. hm... a gun. Gather your tools, get a phone or a watch, or what ever timing utensil, and set it to what ever time you want. This way, it will force you to move faster, allowing you to increase your pixeling speed, and more or less, eye coordination(?). If you failed to beat the time, try again. If you've beat it, make the time less to add more difficulty.

Write Down
Usually when I play a game I pay attention to how the programmer coded the concepts. I write down what I think I need, and apply it. This isn't copying, there's a total difference. Copying would be doing the same exact thing, or make a duplicate of. My strategy is slightly different, it focuses you to use new functions that you've never tried before or it also allows you to use functions that you knew of already but applying them in a different way. After you are satisfied with your results, ask someone to help you test it, or let someone test it by providing a download link or what ever. (Note: Try to get a lot of people to test it as everyone is entitled to their own opinions and a lot of people's opinions can matter.) As people test it and they like it, you can now be satisfied with your results -- remember, don't get mad if people criticize your work, in the real world that will always happen. For example, if someone says you need to improve your shading skill, then do just that, don't go into Hulk Smash mode and start raging.

Process
Write down stuff you have completed. This isn't necessarily something to do but I do it. When I complete something I track my progress, that way, if you're having problems working on something and you want to take a rest or try it the next day, you'll have the current progress of that problem saved/written down and when you come back you can work on it. It also doesn't have to be a problem, it can be the way you're making that certain thing, try to move around it, by this I mean look for efficient ways to make it.

What if I'm studying game development but I can't get a job in a gaming industry?

There is no such word as can't. If one gaming industry isn't interested, try another. If that other isn't interested, try another. If none isn't interested at all that doesn't mean you have to give up - Why? Because, you can be a freelance programmer or artist. I personally rather be my own boss, than be bossed around. That is what a freelancer is. You're basically your own boss, you draw/program when you want to, how you want to, without someone telling you to do it a specific way. Do freelance programmers/artists get paid? Yes. You can find jobs on the internet. Go to some gaming websites and showcase your work, write a brief description offering prices and what not, and eventually people who are interested will have a talk with you. I have seen this on a lot of gaming sites where freelance artists advertise their work but don't provide any way of getting contacted or showing their work. My advice to you artists is, design a portfolio with drawings you have done. Also, provide a way of being contacted: email, cell phone number, or whatever. For programmers, design a quick program or something and show it to the client. If they say they want to see something more advanced, then do just that. If they're not interested, there's a lot more clients out there.

My advice to you, the BYOND community, if you have a dream of pursuing either one of these, go out there and do it, don't let obstacles overwhelm you.
Magnum has been added to the staff list, and damn they have been on a roll with interviews and such.

I think I'll let them take a break after there next interview (already in the post queue) is up, this way I can post what I have saved up.
Hmm
EnigmaticGallivanter wrote:
Magnum has been added to the staff list, and damn they have been on a roll with interviews and such.

I think I'll let them take a break after there next interview (already in the post queue) is up, this way I can post what I have saved up.

What's Req to be journalism o.o
Addmelol wrote:
EnigmaticGallivanter wrote:

What's Req to be journalism o.o

I really should have made a transcript for that video.

The only requirement is that you submit content... that has meaningful content or makes sense. Anyone can submit things to be posted (hence the submit content / add post link). All I or Stephen do is just read over it and maybe tell you what can be worked on, and it is posted.

If you submit enough, and care to keep doing it, you can be officially added a contributor.
"For example, if someone says you need to improve your shading skill, then do just that, don't go into Hulk Smash mode and start raging."

^I lol'd.
VERY Interesting. Keep it up, Magnum.
Just skimmed the article, but ALWAYS backup your data. Nothing will piss you off more than losing all your hard work.
I agree with you thoughts on the matter. I have started using DM when I just started learning programming, and I can definitely it helped me a lot in understanding concepts. Nice article!