Oasiscircle wrote:
Can you actually change the price without having administrator approval?

It's your game.
No I was just wondering if there is actually a pending thing that has to get accepted by a BYOND administrator before it becomes an in-effect price.
$5 for a game is an insurmountable barrier, yet $8 for a sandwich at Subway is perfectly acceptable. Though, I guess sandwiches are quite tasty and it's hard to beat that with a video game.

Also, if you're charging $5 through BYOND's subscription system you're only going to get $3.50 per transaction.
@SuperAntx: I already knew that and I'm perfectly fine with BYOND getting some of the money, they did make all this possible after all.
$3.50 of $5 is what, 70%?

30% tax is quite a lot.
Well they could be charging for a license to use the language and also charge to be publicly listed and advertised on a well-traveled site, which would take your cash even if the game wasn't a success and you just wasted your money.

Instead they only take their own profits when your game is a success and you can afford to not have as much profit. (:
Oasiscircle wrote:
Well they could be charging for a license to use the language

Then it wouldn't stack up against GameMaker, Unity, UDK, or any of those other free/licensed game engines.

charge to be publicly listed and advertised on a well-traveled site

Isn't that what the $18 a year Membership is for? Being able to submit your games to the hub for listing?
There are ways to still get listed.
If your game is good enough all you need to do is post it in Creations on the forums and it'll eventually find its way to a Community Manager.
Also Oasis didn't someone already attempt this before and it failed? Regressia I think it was called. It had barely any success at all, even though it was advertised. I mean it got down to where the owner just made it for free. Aren't you afraid those hours put in aren't necessarily going to be worth what you'll get?
We'll see! (:
The only paying cycle I've seen work efficiently in BYOND is having the game free, but adding extras for those who want to pay for it. This can be seen in NEStalgia and (even they aren't supposed to) some anime games.
I could do a thing like:
*Free demo available.
*Buy the full game for a Month is $2.
*Buy the full game forever for $5.

Or something like that.
The pay-to-play method is fine. But remember, the BYOND community consist mostly of young teens, so cash isn't something many have access to. Therefore, I suggest promoting your project off of BYOND as well.
@Calus CoRPS: Yeah I know that, I'll definitely be spreading the project elsewhere in attempts to get a larger audience. But I'm not exactly sure how people can make the "teens have no money" argument when literally hundreds of millions of people have bought Minecraft ($18) who are from every community online and they certainly aren't all non-teenagers.
Are you gonna actually finish this game :\ Because I never heard again of Rocket Down or Delve. No offense, JS.
I'll try my hardest, but this game won't have any game-killing design flaws or limitations to the language.

I've got an awesome team, so we'll see! (:
I say go for it. Anyone saying "It's just a byond game" doesn't realize how much time and effort it takes to make something that's both entertaining and polished.
@Techgamer: If I could +yea individual posts I would buy a separate BYOND account just to do it twice to what you just said.
Oasiscircle wrote:
@Techgamer: If I could +yea individual posts I would buy a separate BYOND account just to do it twice to what you just said.

Thanks. I get personally insulted when I see people claiming that developers shouldn't try to charge reasonable prices. It's one thing to make the argument that it will hurt the popularity of the game, another entirely to dismiss it outright.
If you have a well developed game, I'm sure it will sell. Good luck with your project.
Page: 1 2 3