ID:11837

Someone on my street was throwing out a computer. They'd stripped it, but I don't want the poor thing going to waste, so I've brought it back to my place, and I'm going to get the bits it needs to come shambling back to life.

Currently, all that's left is a motherboard. Minus processor. :P. It's old, too, at that. It originally had a 166 MHz pentium of some variety in it - We can tell because it's written on the box.

Nevertheless, all it needs is a power supply, an old processor, a hard drive, a floppy drive, and an ethernet card. Then I can install linux on it and attach it to the network. At that point, I can use it as... Iunno, something interesting. Host for BYOND games, mayhap?

We've got an ethernet card floating around at home, so it can use that. We've probably got a floppy drive somewhere, too - and that's really optional. If we couldn't be bothered getting one, I could just attach the hard drive to my computer, and run stuff on it from there.

Old hard drives are cheap and easy to get, so that's fine. Power supplies are also easy to get.

The processor might be difficult. I'll have to look around some junk stores or something...

It also doesn't help that I'm not exactly sure what type of motherboard it is, nor exactly what processor it's designed for. Any ideas on figuring that out?
You can get old CPUs on ebay for cheap.
Yeah, definitely check out eBay. It has RAM already? That's a plus. I'm guessing by the sounds if it all ya need is an old pentium. Something along the lines of This.

Like you said, the rest of it should be easy to find.
Your quest is doomed! DOOMED! Programmers must never turn to the Hardware Side. It's just not done.
Awesome. But, if the compatibility of that motherboard is stuck at those 166MHz... you're definately going to have problems playing more CPU dependant games like say... Plan of Attack or Lode Wars
BYOND isn't going to run very well on an ancient Pentium, I can tell you that right now.