ID:118425

Keywords: design, game, philosophy
It's been a few days since my last post regarding my untitled project, so I figured now would be a good time to release a bit of information. Please note that there is no estimated release date of this project yet, as I am the sole developer of every aspect of the game and my free time is limited to weekends (when I'm not doing homework or fatherly/husband duties).

Currently I've stated that the game will play as an online Japanese RPG (Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, Earthbound, etc...) and have released a few screens of absolutely nothing worth mentioning, but I felt I deserved a kudos for picking this up so quick.

As of today I believe that there is a future with this project, even if I still don't have a name for it yet, and since I'm secure in this belief I figure I'd release a bit of my brainstorm into the BYOND community.

Classes
This game will have a class-based system, where skill sets are generally predefined with some room for customization. I currently have the following classes in mind (These are subject to change at this stage).

Note: Although I will define each class by using Tank, DPS, Support, or Control. No party will specifically require a "Tank and Healer" to progress (Although it might make some situations easier).

• Fighter: Inspired a bit by MMA and various Manga, this class deals damage with their bare hands and various techniques. As of right now it will play a DPS or Support role well.
  • Gunslinger: Being a fan of westerns, I would never be satisfied without one. As you should have guessed, this class relies heavily on ranged combat and evasion techniques. They will play a DPS and Crowd Control role.
  • Witch: This is my spin on your generic caster class. Using both nature and black magic it can play a role as both Control and Support.
  • Knight: Armored with sword and board, this warrior has a very high survivability but is low on the damage end of things. This class will play both a Tank and Support role.
  • Genius: To be honest this role will mostly be inspired by the show "Dexter's Lab" I used to watch back in the day, between his various mechs, potions and other devices.. That is what I want this class to feel like (If you're familiar). This class will be Support and Crowd Control.
  • Shape-Shifter: I thought of this class after watching the show True Blood with my wife, Sam Merlot being my favorite character in the story (If you're familiar) I wind up picturing what it would be like to be able to shape-shift into another creature. Having been a fan of the 'Animorphs' books as a child, I suppose this is just an ongoing interest. I want this class to be able to play all roles in the game (Similar to druids in WoW) based on which animal forms you acquire.
    Note: You will be able to go out and acquire what forms you wish, just like I remember in 'Animorphs'.
  • Vampire: Lets be honest, who wouldn't want to play a vampire? And I'm not talking sparkly emotional teenage vampire either, I'm talking mind-f***ing, blood thirsty, dark cultist magic vamps. Thats what I wish to portray, but for the sake of the game I'm going to remove that general daylight restriction. Oh and they'll be playing a DPS or Crowd Control role.

I may add another for the sake of even numbers, but as of right now this is what I have planned. I also plan on each class to have their own story lines and variations in parts of the main story line. As far as customization goes, I have a plan for this yin-yang-type tree system, where you can either go down a light tree, a dark tree or a third balance tree. More to come on that in the future.

Combat in this game will be turn-based like many RPGs out there, and I have yet to decide if I want a top and bottom setup (think Pokemon) or side by side setup (Final Fantasy). I also have an idea of incorporating a "Limit"-like system similar to FF7, again more on that in the future.

Equipment in this game will be something new. Instead of having one class use one specific type of item (Knight is the only one to wield a sword or shield for example) I figured on using a sort of "Augment" system, where you take your preexisting gear that you start with and you have slots to place (or swap) your stat upgrades. Certain styles will be unlockable and interchangeable. Since those will be class-specific there will be no "drops" for appearance. I'll delve more on this in a future post.

And that is all I have for now, hopefully this placates some of you harder critics. Once my design mock-ups are finished I'll post some examples of what the game should look like.

Also, if you want more frequent updates on me or my game progress, feel free to follow me on twitter @ThatGreenMonkey.

-GreenMonkey

I'm surprised there's no healer class.
Support roles will generally have some form of healing.