6 0% (0)
5 5% (1)
4 0% (0)
3 0% (0)
2 0% (0)
1 5% (1)
BS 21% (4)

Login to vote.

So I got this game last week when it came out and I have to say, I am really enjoying it. Near to the release, I go really worried because people that got hands on with the game said the controls were weird and that there we're a ton of glitches.

After getting the game I was happy to find Dead island is now my favorite goto zombie game. NO THIS GAME IS NOTHING LIKE L4D. This is what people thought but trust me, it isn't even close and personally I feel Dead Island is better than L4D. The game brings out a definite horror survival aspect to the game while still having loads of funs your playing co-op with 4 of your buddies.

Graphics- 8
The graphics look really amazing in dead island. The environments are really what makes Dead Island stand out. The use of a paradise becoming living hell was the perfect forumla ad then even adding extra maps like a city, sewers, and jungles added more to the experience. Now this game does have its glitches. Sometime textures take a while to become detailed and zombies sometimes might get stuck through walls after hitting them with a truck (personal experience). Beyond these faults, many overlook them due to how fun and addicting the game truly is.

Gameplay -9
This is by far the best part of the game. Gameplay is fluid, addicting, and by far very complex. When I first started playing dead island I had a little bit of a learning curve because I was use to guns and weapons. However, I was foolishly mistaken to find that I couldn't find a damn gun anywhere. Instead I had to use Melee weapons for a good 35% of the game. Did I mention that the game can last anywhere from 20-40 hours of gameplay. This game will be in your library for quite some time.

Story -8
The story is in my opinion the only let down of Dead island. After watch the trailer everyone was expecting a game that would constantly have you saying damn thats fucked up and crying. Now that I play the game its not as depressing as the trailer but the game does have it's moments. Of course this game's story is no where on the level of Mass Effect but, I credit it for at least an interesting storyline unlike other games. (*cough Duke Nukem)

Overall -8
Overall Dead Island is a memorable game that has a great formula going for it. Even though I doubt it won't win any game of the year award for me it wins best new IP. For changing it up and trying something new in the zombie genre, Dead Island gets an 8/10. If you have any questions at all about Dead island let me know in the comments below. Hopefully I will have a youtube video review up on my channel soon.

I hope you enjoyed this honest gamer review.
Okay, what? The graphics are mediocre in this game, nowhere near that high of a rating. And don't argue personal opinion, that's like saying Pac-Man has better graphics than Crysis just because I think so.

Also I assume you haven't progressed too far into the game if you put gameplay that high, once you reach the later parts of the game it just degenerates into Call of Duty 'uz gunz now'.

Ok first this isn't an official review this is how "I" felt about the game. I haven't gotten all the way to the end but I am just reviewing from what I have played. I will update the review when I see something else I like or dislike. The graphics in "MY OPINION" are good. I am not saying that they beat out Crysis by any standard but they meet with current Gen graphic which is fine with me. But, I still respect your opinion.
Valoesdte wrote:
Ok first this isn't an official review this is how "I" felt about the game. I haven't gotten all the way to the end but I am just reviewing from what I have played. I will update the review when I see something else I like or dislike. The graphics in "MY OPINION" are good. I am not saying that they beat out Crysis by any standard but they meet with current Gen graphic which is fine with me. But, I still respect your opinion.

GOD DAMMIT I SAID DON'T MENTION OPINIONS ON GRAPHICS.
YOU ARE STUPID.
Your a retarded troll. I am doing this review all IN MY OPINION!!!! IF YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH IT GO FUCK YOURSELF
Valoesdte wrote:
Your a retarded troll. I am doing this review all IN MY OPINION!!!! IF YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH IT GO FUCK YOURSELF

It was a joke, but still seriously the graphics in Dead Island are very mediocre.
well then at least say ur joking a head of time. I wouldn't say they are mediocre. Duke Nukem had mediocre graphics. Dead island has above average but nothing that is mind blowing amazing! However, the main reason I gave a high score for graphic is the environments. They are what make up dead Island.
Valoesdte wrote:
well then at least say ur joking a head of time. I wouldn't say they are mediocre. Duke Nukem had mediocre graphics. Dead island has above average but nothing that is mind blowing amazing! However, the main reason I gave a high score for graphic is the environments. They are what make up dead Island.

I know what an environment is, and yes they are detailed in number of items and immersion wise, but the scoring doesn't ask for immersion, it asks for visuals.
Duke Nukem and Dead Island are on par really.
Somebody must be playing Dead Island on an old box TV.
Someone deleted my comment. Made me sad.

Oh well. Graphics are better than similar games like L4D2 and Dead Space, but I liked both games better overall. Better storyline and more weapons/gore.
Is the game free roam?
Yes it is, even though I wouldn't suggest just wondering off you can do it.
No offense, but anyone who says the graphics on Dead Island are subpar is suffering from a serious optical disorder and should consult a physician in the immediate present.

Just to prove my point, I have taken a few screenshots to highlight the visuals found within the game:

Here we have a great representation of just how detailed the clothes and character models are. The skin texture is very realistic, the lighting is fantastic, and it does not look blocky or lame at all.

Here is a great representation of the actual quality of the environments in the world, and the shadowing found within it. You can really see the sun reflecting off of the sand and, spoilers, the blood. To add to the realism, staring at bright places (the sun reflecting off of the sand) makes teh dark places darker, and can really block your vision in many areas, resulting in a pretty nice atmosphere for scary things to jump out.

This and this are just screenshots I took to kind of just support the points I made for the last picture. The colors are very vivid, and the lighting on them is very realistic. As you can see for the one taken inside, the light from the sun creates very realistic shadows, and it is very appealing to look at. The blood also looks very nice.

And finally, this is an image taken just moments before an infected snuck up on me. I don't even know how it happened, considering how loud they are. I actually screamed when it happened. But yeah, it's just a nice picture of the game world environment.

Mind you, these are not perfect representations of the game world. But they are pretty good.
Keeth wrote:
the graphics on Dead Island is suffering from a serious optical disorder

wat...

Along with that first typo of yours, your screenshots don't really help your arguement. The graphics are alright, but they aren't the best. But then again, graphics aren't all there is. I love the gameplay. If it had a bit more story to it, I would consider it to be one of the best this year, if not the best.

Next time, try to be more accurate with your screenshots when you are "highlighting the visuals".
I dunno... I thought they were the highlights... personally. :(

Also, I wasn't suggesting they're the best. Just that they're not bad.

Nevermind, they are the best.
Lol. I just personally think their alright. They are better than L4D2 and other zombie/alien games. Might be the best out of that categorey. But out of all of the games I know, there are better ones out there.
If I had any complaints, it's that weapons degrade entirely too fast. I shouldn't break my cleaver by cutting someone with it 10 times. Eventually I end up totally breaking it, and I'm out one of my very few chopping weapons.
Cutting into human skin, bone, muscles, etc. is going to wear down your blade. Slamming it into a skull, a rib, or cutting off their head entirely is going to chip it if it works at all.
I'm not too keen on stating a lot of the positive sides, but I shall. This game incorporated a lot of different gameplay elements. Almost each Act was different from the last. Resort, Jungle, and City had different feels. You had lots of weapons, mods, and places to loot. Tons of places to explore as well.. Oddly, I really enjoy the game, though it is slow to start.

Negative points:(A lot, and will be stated randomly)

1. It had tons of texture loading
problems.

2. The story was terrible, which had me skip cutscenes.

3. The animations were terrible. I laughed at the black guys lack of facial reactions most the time.

4. Exploration was great, but many places that could be available for exploring were closed. Not even an explanation, just no access. Considering the games size compared to other games, they could have technically put things in it. Though dlc is still open.

5. The controls are somewhat odd to get use too. Sometimes the hits don't connect, and the "Thug" is the most annoying gametype. Well, until halfway in the game I was indicated I could dodge backwards.

6. How unpolished pulling out an item is. For example, if I focus on throwing, or even drop a weapon, there should be a way for inventory items to go into the hotbar. Going in and out the inventory ruins the atmosphere in my opinion.

7. Many of the missions seemed half-assed. In fact, many people I've watched thought they were glitched. Like the man who continually asked for alcohol until the missions finished.

8. Tons of bugs in the game. Graphically, Zombie-wise, and saving wise. Sometimes you get a save-bug

9.The skill trees seemed non-thought out. As if they half-assed it. Survival is generally seen as pointless, most dislike using it as a priority.

10. The guns seemed under-powered. Not against humans, they were fine. Tons of ammo and guns as well. Although, a headshot seems to do more to a human than a zombie. Which is even more redundant after you find out what a "zombie" is.

There are much more, which I just can't think of. Oddly, these aspects are ignored because the good-points are overwhelmingly amazing. Although, even when I play, I do get a feeling of it being unpolished.

So, I give this an 8/10. It was a fantastic game, and a great idea. Certainly made itself known. Although, it seemed to have 10000 ideas, and ended up making them all sub-par. That's why you can essentially compare it to almost anygame you think. Borderlands, Dead Rising, Fallout 3, etc.. But, the elements you compare it to were usually done better in their respective games. Or, that's usually how it seems.

Not saying the game is terrible, but it certainly isn't GOTY.
The graphics actually are a bit above sub-par, but not the best. What you are showing are stills of the game, many of which are made "higher-resolution", similar to the one makes a models skin look better on a magazine.

My television is fantastic, and it doesn't always look like that. Nor do you get "stills" that easily. Maybe that is the PC version?

The graphics are blocky at times, and even your photos show bits of evidence for this. The way they did their graphics was actually mapping it around the object, thus making it look really nice - When it is essentially just like the pixelated grass you see, but closed-up, so you can't tell.

Many things lose quality when you go up to them. Lots of the environments don't have the sort of immersion you'd expect. Not really sand-foot prints. The ones you see are put it by the same method described above(saves memory). The water splashes aren't too keen either.

The animations for characters in/out of cutscenes are absolutely horrid. When you meet the suicider guy, look at Sam B's face. Looks absolutely retarded. The animations for many environmental factors look flawed close up as well.

SAYING this, which is all my opinion, I still enjoyed the game a lot. The graphics from far off looked fantastic. Zombie-graphics were pretty damn amazing too.

Personally, what made the environments amazing were the "far-off" graphics and animations in conjunction with the music. My god, the music.. The game had some amazing atmosphere. You can't deny that. When you are in the city, and hear the echos. IN the jungle and hear the wind. THAT makes the game and enhances the gameplay.

Or so, I think.
Page: 1 2