ID:118923

The source material makes it awkward, but I'll reward a link acknowledging my blogging advice from the last column's comments because it reminds me to state the following:  If you believe I've missed something important, please have the sense to post the link in the comments.  Don't whine about rejection.  Fix the problem!  Make the news accessible to readers!

I realize what I'm suggesting might be taboo on other websites.  However, you're not posting a blipvert.  You're a BYOND game developer or player within the BYOND community speaking on topics within said community.  An occasional link in the comments shouldn't make you unwelcome. =)

Within BYOND

Still planning a fighting game in the Feval universe, Aaiko is updating the acorn-exploding action that inspired it.  Utilizing friend lists and clans on the official beta server, competitive players may enter tournaments and climb ladders while others cooperate against the AI in new modes and maps.  All the while, acorns shall be collected to purchase customizations in Iccusion Entertainment's attempt at a developer-wide currency.

Falacy's Dead of Night is now listed.  It's a board game where players attempt to survive against hoards of zombies.  Cooperative play is encouraged and the survivor who best fulfills their objectives is deemed the winner.  I haven't figured out the fundamentals yet, but I've heard enough good things about other cooperative board games to be curious. =)

Danlee13 has released a version of chess called SimpleChess.  There are a lot of variants around the site and, like many, this one lacks AI.  However, some players might enjoy the local play option and online scoring.

Testing and constructive criticism is welcome...  How about not spamming me with multiple update alerts as I write? ;)

The Flash integration used to create the pretty title screens of Nefarious Development's Prism didn't leave me with many BYOND-focused details to note, but their additional rendering of 3D stock models into sprite sheets shows an overall get-it-done approach that I can get behind.  Multiple demos for the MORPG's interface have been released.  Hopefully an actual game isn't far behind.

With new music and a TIGSource thread, Makeii has updated the demo for his action RPG Edreoll.  The focus appears to be on the interface, but the screenshots display new maps as well.  Feedback from a recent test server has been summarized on Makeii's blog and the developer has been interviewed by the Journalism guild's Magnum2k.

For those willing to navigate some questionable use of footnotes, XxLucifersJesterxX has updated GreatFisher's gladiatorial Arena Game.  In addition to bug fixes, interface improvements and graphical changes, AI has been inserted into the game to make it "almost playable".

Discussing pay-to-play BYOND games, Oasiscircle and Akto have been posting videos of a platform shooter inspired by Kid Icarus called Majeure.  Design concepts and a (now outdated) demo are available.  Together with Bravo1, their DMcast was interviewed by Magnum2k for the Journalism guild.

Bravo1 updated his vehicular shooter Tanx with fixes, team balance and AI tweaks.  He has also been exploring BYOND's native pixel movement with a new metroidvania called Chasm.  Two videos have been uploaded.  A multiplayer mode with tougher enemies is planned.

Delayed until the holidays due to school, Ill Im has offered details of the next version of his multiplayer shooter War Bots.  Expect new maps, bot parts, interface improvements, subscriber options, tokens for microtransactions and more.

Toying with BYOND's new feature in a minigame called Spear Throw, Lige announced varying degrees of progress.  Squad mechanics and developer cameos are being designed for the round/objective-based fighter Invasion.  Testers have been requested through the Simple Developments Guild for the cops and robbers game Jail 'Em.

Fantasie Productions have been posting a series of descriptions for their self-titled MORPG.  They're planning three branches for each of 33 unique classes.  Thus far, they've offered the Swordsman, Bowman, Gunner, Musician, Protector, Umbrakinetic, Aerokinetic and Electrokinetic.  Paid positions are available.

With a new Facebook page, Zane444 and Chris Gayle are continuing to channel their colonial world of Spirit Age.  While screenshots display the ships used to travel between countries and the trains used once inside, a video depicts a little naked dude exploring the map on foot.  No shirt, no shoes, no service?

Working with a variety of pixel artists and programmers, Heyya46 is creating a modern crime-based MORPG called Syndicate.  (It's not like any other game is using that title responsibly, right?)  Providing an outline of the team's progress, a request for activity ideas has been issued.

UPD4T3 has posted art assets from a new project.  Described as an RTS action RPG, players will become mushroom-eating Vikings who use their clans to plunder the world.  Converting his team's fangame, UPD4T3 has also announced the hatred and corruption of Oni with a request for programming help.

Obsidian Gaming's Reformist was interviewed by Avainer on DM Blog.  Along with news that the team's fangame is no longer being converted, a background story for a project called Paths of Four has been posted.  Frankly, I tend to be bored by such lore, but the fact that people in the comments actually recognize this game I can't recall makes me want to post it anyway out of self-depreciation. ;)

The Feed team is asking people to design posters which shall decorate the walls of their zombie action title.  If drawing isn't your thing, artist Brettpenzer also offers the opportunity to select which female avatar will be available.  Some thought it was sexist when Mass Effect did the same, but I figure it might take men one step closer to admitting they play with dolls. ;)

In another crowdsource event from The Teka Co. Mafia, El Wookie shall use an in-game item to immortalize the username of whoever submits the best title for his RPG.  Impressing himself with the programming, details of the game's Pokemon-inspired battle system are available.

IainPeregrine's Game in a Day 2011 will be held this weekend.  The rules have been posted and the theme will be announced when the event begins.  Those with schedule conflicts may send an email to receive a personalized theme.  (Comments on the blog will not be sufficient.)

Next weekend, the DMcast will be hosting a tournament involving the radish-collecting action of IainPeregrine's Plunder Gnome.  Entrants are expected to sign up with two to three team members.  A selection of $20 items and some hosting time with BYONDPanel are offered as prizes.  Those willing to endure bad accents can watch a match between castmates Akto and Oasiscircle.

Beyond BYOND

• This weekend, Sega games are 50% to 90% off on Steam.  I'm resisting the classics pack, but I'll likely pick up Alpha Protocol for $2 if I don't end up trading TF2 hats or a lifetime Fooldom Come subscription for it first.
  • Here's an event for the writers and artists in the audience: Registration is now open for The 30 Characters Challenge which begins November 1st.  Create 30 characters within 30 days and post them on Twitter.
  • Try to escape the roughly 600 entries of Ludum Dare #21.  We'll wait.  Maybe.
  • While you were gone, gamers made another few medical breakthroughs with Foldit.
  • Digital distributors Desura have announced alphafunding support for indie games.  What is alphafunding?  Think of Minecraft and Terraria.  Players can pay money for games in testing in order to fund their completion.
  • On Gamasutra, Mike Rose offered perspectives of companies on opposing sides of cloned indie games.  Bleach filler has taught me that one side looks through glowing blue eyes.
  • I rarely watch machinima.  Uppercase or not.  I have never seen The Room.  I still want to check out The Tommy Wi-Show.
  • Those of you with a taste for mechanical toys may enjoy this Yahoo photo collection of old coin-op games and this video game in a box.
  • I was just trying to avoid sexist fan drool and ask a math question like Anthony Carboni requested.  How was I supposed to know Pi ran off with Tara Long's friend?

Nintendo characters aren't my thing, but I frelling love that people have the skill and creativity to repurpose puzzle games like this.

Don't settle for a brief mention of activity.  Get games featured!  (Want to review?)

Great Job, as usually.

Keep on trucking, ACW~
Masterdarwin88 wrote:
Great Job, as usually.

Keep on trucking, ACW~

I play with dolls ;_;
Wow, I'm honored to be mentioned, sad thing is, I deleted that Syndicate screenshot before I knew that it was posted here but I added two new ones so can you put a new thumbnail screenshot? :P
Thanks for the plug :)
I keep getting plugged by BaW. I feel so loved T__T

Also, yes, Akto and OC do like to go overboard with those fake accents, I find it hilarious.
Also, the GiaD now is offering $60 in prizes to the top placing games.
Awesome. I aim to win another competition!
@Heyya46: Done.

BTW, they're more than thumbnails. Each acts as a link to the full-size image. =)
No comment about NEStalgia for once? + many for other games getting top mention now. Byond does have way more to offer then one game.
Now that I'm famous, someone help me!
@Dpheonix7: I put featured games at the top. NEStalgia gets top billing so often because other featured games rarely provide news. The older games don't update as often and developers don't bother submitting new games for review. What looks like favoritism to you is me attempting to provide consistent feature benefits no matter how few developers are trying to participate.
guys im probaly not going to be able to play byond cause someone changed my password
edit: i rembered my password
GOD DAMN IT....
Guess I need to get featured then.
what is it with my games and not getting featured?
@Ss4gogeta0: Being listed in this column isn't the same as being featured. =)

I still think posting on your blog is a good idea. However, even if the initial developer of the code base decides your modification is fine, the medals and in-game zombie company of the particular project you're working on contain enough fan references to make me wary.

I apologize for not spotting this earlier. My advice was offered in good faith, but my link in the introduction ended up being all I could grant without being unfair to converts and other fangame developers.

On the bright side, the problem isn't you. It's just some of your work. =)
sounds fun.
ACWraith wrote:
@Ss4gogeta0: Being listed in this column isn't the same as being featured. =)

I still think posting on your blog is a good idea. However, even if the initial developer of the code base decides your modification is fine, the medals and in-game zombie company of the particular project you're working on contain enough fan references to make me wary.

I apologize for not spotting this earlier. My advice was offered in good faith, but my link in the introduction ended up being all I could grant without being unfair to converts and other fangame developers.

On the bright side, the problem isn't you. It's just some of your work. =)

alright, thank you... and I regret to inform you that the the name of the company will be removed since it was actually based on a site *Since a majority of the people spam my topic constantly due to the Supposedly "Poor visuals in my game that make it look like crap from the SNES era." and the ban that soon followed after expressing my rage in a "Professional" manner...
It shall now be called "Regenesis" due to the fact it is a Pharmaceutical company...