ID:11911

Can someone who knows about it, like Jmurph, give me some advice?

Okay. I am furious today. I was woken up to the unpleasant notion that my insurance company (State Farm) is trying to charge MY MOTHER about $300 for MY SEPERATE INSURANCE POLICY because I couldn't afford to pay it a couple of months ago.

I CALLED THEM and TOLD THEM I could not pay, so suddenly they charge SOMEONE ELSE for something I DID? Are they retarded? My policy should not at all be connected to my parents policy, and I told them I couldn't pay! Who do they think they are? AOL? When you tell someone that you cannot pay and you no longer use their service, you shouldn't owe them jack!

They said they won't charge my mother if I turn in my drivers liscence. The Hell they have ANY power over my drivers liscence!

It's quite a pickle because we can't just switch. My parents want to stay with state farm, so even if I leave State Farm, they could still give some asshole excuse to charge them money for me being around.
If what you say is true, you could probably sue them.

Though i'm not an expert on the law

<_<
Sueing for those kind of things only work once you've paid them money. I'm going to try to dispute it before my mother has to take money out of her life savings to pay for their scam.
So you actually told them that you wanted to cancel your insurance, and now they're charging your mother for it? Hmm.

Is this for *future* insurance cover, or *past* insurance cover? I ask because if you've actually been covered for the period that they're billing you for then they're probably within their rights to do that.

Are you legally a minor?
Crispy's right here. If the billing period doesn't cover a time when you were listed on her insurance, but when you had your own completely separate, then they legally can't charge her. Just because she may have the same residence or may have carried you at some time in the past doesn't mean they can transfer billing from an entirely separate policy.

The only legal way they can bill that is if the policy they're billing was actively carrying you. If you had a policy of your own, then clearly it was not. However I do think there's a chance that maybe they never updated in their records that her insurance should no longer be covering you once you had a separate policy, in which case they may owe her money if they were charging higher premiums for another driver.

If this is indeed the case, first call the insurance company to explain that you were no longer covered on her policy past such and such a date, because you had your own policy from then on, and if their records indicate otherwise then clearly that is a clerical error on their part. If they're still not cooperative, let them know that you'll be calling the state Attorney General's office and the Better Business Bureau. Follow through with that if they stonewall. Of course this advice applies to your mother mostly, since she's the one getting socked with the bill.

All that said, I'm not a lawyer, but billing the wrong customer is clearly illegal. Their only possible justification is if they think that policy still covers you.
The rules on stuff like this are definitely a bit odd. In my case, as long as my elder son was living in my house, I was required to pay a higher insurance premium, whether or not we were allowing him to drive the car (which we were not).
I learned a bit more about the situation. Apparently it's not that they are charging my parents for what I didn't pay, it's that they are trying to charge them for having an uninsured motorist around.

My parents say that if I can hurry and get another insurer, they probably won't charge.

Anyone have some good suggestions? I currently can't find anything under 200 a month.
Yeah, you have to watch insurance policies. There are all kinds of tricky things about covered motorists in most insurance contracts. For example, a uninsured driver with access to the vehicle could very well influence the premiums. Always review your contracts carefully!

Do you know anyone in the auto insurance field? You can often get better rates (and better explanations of coverage) from a friend. Otherwise, you'll just have to shop around and compare rates. Also, be aware the driving without insurance may be illegal depending on what state you live in, so be careful!
Geico, can save you up to 15% on car insurance in just 15 minutes or less!
My mothers insurance charged he extra while I was living in the house for her car insurance and I don't even have a fucking drivers licesne.