ID:119474

BYOND Version:492
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 14.0.835.187
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue may be low priority or very difficult to fix, and has been put on the back burner for the time being.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
I'm not sure how valid this bug is but I made a demo of it at http://www.mediafire.com/?ttqbr2h5qpn2ihg

Basically, there is an Observe verb, which is supposed to allow you to observe objects and players specified in the Observe_List, but it appears on things that it shouldn't appear for when you right click them. In this case, the NPC mob, which isn't supposed to be observable. When you right click the NPC you see the Observe verb, if you click it, it says the target is invalid.

The demo is just hypothetical and not practical, but what I'm really using the concept for is practical. I just simplified it here.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Run the demo the code there reproduces it.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
The Observe verb should not appear when right clicking an object that is not in the list that the Observe verb is searching through.

Actual Results:
It does appear when you right click, but if you click it, it says the target is invalid.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Yes
In other games? Yes
In other user accounts? Yes
On other computers? Yes

When does the problem NOT occur?
Never

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

It always occurred

Workarounds:

None.
These is an old to-do note in the code about this. Looks like it's a known issue of extremely low priority.
It's probably extremely low priority because A) You can attach it to nothing and build your own list or B) You can use datums or hierarchical structures properly so it only appears on what you want.

Sure, it's a hassle, and it'd be nice if it was fixed/changed, but there are workarounds in the meantime.