ID:119669

Since the Art Society isn't easily accessible anymore for whatever reason (without having to have it bookmarked), and even when it was, the contests have been dead for a couple years (?) I haven't seen anyone try to revive these types of contests.

I feel like it'd motivate artists to be better, give them a sense of accomplishment, etc. I haven't seen anyone spectacular on here, someone I was truly impressed by. I feel like artists should get a little more limelight, something to give them motivation to improve their abilities. Artists are a pretty core piece to a game's development, just as important as any programmer. I'd just like to see more artist-oriented competitions.

i was going to rant about how the art society hasnt had any competitions in years. you beat me to it.
I second the notion. Are you going to be organizing one?
I agree, I tried to start a collaboration the other day, didn't take at all.
I just feel like with all the newbies, oldbies, and inbetweenbies it'd be really fun. I feel like there should be a Mentor Contest as well, where a more distinguished artists helps a newbie get better, and they help their newbie with their submission.

@Ketchup: I wouldn't mind, we'd need more donations. I haven't got a stable income right now. Been doing freelance. I could organize it, and whatever money I have left over from buying RAGE I'll pool into the prize pot.

Also, + this post.
Best idea you had yet(Haven't seen any other ideas you've had) ;D
We do need more art contests! I think these would really help me get better and learn somethings. Also would add a lot more fun when making pixel art.

I also think byond should make it easier to access the pixel art society.
Yut Put wrote:
Why not join a REAL art society. How about that?

You suck at trolling, gtfo.
Yut Put wrote:
Why not join a REAL art society. How about that?

I'd rather have artists that reside here to flourish, instead of going elsewhere. I'd like to make BYOND accommodate artists, than direct them elsewhere.

That's why.
Well put sir.
I agree, I'd love to see some artist contest. (As I am one. *cough*)
Neblim wrote:
A DM programmer will stay here because Tom and Dan made the language and this is the only real community site for it.

A pixel artist will reside in actual pixel art communities (which are already relatively small these days), which Byond is not. Byond Pixel Art Society tries to be something that SHOULD be directed to the real professionals because those are dedicated communities. The idea that Byond Pixel Art society needs to even exist itself honestly is a waste of breathe.

Pixel art communities already know of Byond (especially when Pixel Art society started linking to them), just most of them don't really care about it. I don't blame them really, for countless of reasons relating to Byond itself and non-Byond related reasons.

There's no reason why we shouldn't give people more reasons to come back, and accommodate artists that don't feel comfortable on other forums, and just want BYOND to be a potentially better place overall. I know I wouldn't mind seeing more artists around here, sure a lot of programmers wouldn't mind either.

It's beneficial overall, I don't see why there is any argument regarding it not.
Neblim wrote:
UPD4T3 wrote:
There's no reason why we shouldn't give people more reasons to come back, and accommodate artists that don't feel comfortable on other forums, and just want BYOND to be a potentially better place overall.

An already tried and failed attempt is the existence of the Pixel Art Society. If it were going to be successful, it would have taken off years ago. If it were a productive catalyst on the same level as those other more dedicated communities, then I would agree. But it has already proven not to be the case so it's moot to be a fanboy here.

I know I wouldn't mind seeing more artists around here, sure a lot of programmers wouldn't mind either.

If you want to help those do better at art, point them in the right place (which I do when I can) rather than catering to their lazyness to go click a link and register somewhere they'll get real help. If they are going to use Byond, they will. They aren't going to magically hate it because they are better at pixel art from another community (though they made realize the drawbacks by themselves as they mature, but that's not the pixel art communities fault).

It's beneficial overall, I don't see why there is any argument regarding it not.

I'm not telling you to not hold it, I'm letting you know you're wasting your breathe and time.

I'm not telling you that I'm going to magically, overnight have a flock of new members. I'd rather give it an honest shot than just not try at all.

I'm also not saying that it's an absolute to drawing members. My priority is to update and refine the Art Society to better accommodate the artists we have here, and possibly bring newer people here.

I know I'd rather see more posts in the Art Society, than a million blog posts with bases for critique.
I think Byond people need an Art Society currently, I'm a bit tired of seeing front page post about personal pixel art. An active place would be nice.