ID:120431

Poll: Which of the following is the "best" trait to have?

Pixel Art 85% (34)
GFX 15% (6)

Login to vote.

Zan here. Just wanted to get your thoughts about this particular topic. Which is a better "skill" to have between GFX or Iconning.

Everyone knows the recent hype about being GFXer, the guilds, etc. However, at the same time, I've noticed that its been incredibly hard to find a Pixel Artist nowadays. I can only think of three reasons why this might be.

1). Some Pixel Artists don't want to be in the known where they'll constantly get hounded to do requests. Which is fine but at a point can be overbearing if this particular "job" has declined.

2). Many aren't that good. Its not bad but its not great either. Take my old Pixel Artist for my Bakugan game. He was decent but there were some flaws in the icons that weren't all too pleasing.

3). Other well known Pixel Artists pretty much just vanished. Either doing their own project or left BYOND. This also helps with the decrease.

I had a friend on my MSN named Natojames. Very good programmer and had some nice games but he couldn't finish them because he lacked a Pixel Artist, thus he would just give up on games.

*coughs* Now back to the discussion here. I'm honestly trying to figure out which of these two seem to be in "high demand". I can't figure out a word for it, sadly, but...basically all I want to know is which of the "skills", between GFX or Pixel Artist, do people give more praise to? Yeah there we go. xD So please, take your time and vote.
Both.
Since when was there ever a time when we had an abundance of pixel artists? They've always been hard to come by in my opinion, the reputation for Byond isn't great in the first place, so pixel artists aren't exactly swarming here. You can always search other sites for pixel artists though, rather then limit yourself to Byond's pixel artists.
Pixel Artist, they're on high demand on Byond. Anyone can easily find a way better GFX artist on DeviantArt, or a hundred other places than the current GFX Artist on Byond. But pixel art is a dieing narto frog, it's rare.
Where did all the good pixel artists go?
They went to the people willing to compensate with more than just administrative abilities and to people more serious about developing games.
I work with Akto and I have worked with Yut Put and they're both excellent.
Megablaze wrote:
Since when was there ever a time when we had an abundance of pixel artists? They've always been hard to come by in my opinion, the reputation for Byond isn't great in the first place, so pixel artists aren't exactly swarming here. You can always search other sites for pixel artists though, rather then limit yourself to Byond's pixel artists.

When Spatial Realms was still up, (estimation) about 1/5 of people who applied to be part of the team, said they knew how to Pixel Art. Mind you, this is probably about like maybe a year and a half ago, two at the most. Many were good, others, not so great. Even now, I look back in those applications and try to contact them and they either say "I quit BYOND like a loooooooong time ago dood lol." or "I'm busy with PROJECT A, and gotta help a friend with PROJECT B." and then I never heard from them again. Though, this is just out of my experience lol. But thank you for your thoughts on the discussion/topic. :D
Graphic Artist and Pixel Artist are two very different and important fields. You can't expect a Pixel Artist to create a promo banner for the new Nintendo game and you can't expect Graphic Artist to create the latest Sonic icon for said game. Of course since GFX here is complete garbo. I expect most people to pick pixel artist.
"GFX" isn't even a real skill, it's just people cutting out other people's work and slapping some filters over it. The only real measure of talent is how well their font selection is.
SuperAntx wrote:
"GFX" isn't even a real skill, it's just people cutting out other people's work and slapping some filters over it. The only real measure of talent is how well their font selection is.

You have obviously only seen it done badly. Pretty sure Zane said the same thing and I showed him some that proved him otherwise.
Enzuigiri wrote:
You have obviously only seen it done badly.

This is because it's only done badly.
@SuperAntx
Enzuigiri, does have a point. There good GFX that have been done professionally and got praised for. Even on BYOND, this is true, though only few people actually do good GFXs. Others are decent but not what people look for, like mines for example.
#tldr;
I think the biggest problem with pixel-art on BYOND is that quality is not appreciated.

I have seen games that use gamesprites that are absolutely awful yet they have a lot of players that despite the lack of good quality work still play the games.

And I have noticed that if a game actually has good graphics the fanboys and girl seem to overlook it, take the game Decadence for example, that game is put together very well and the pixel-art is of an almost professional level yet it is hardly played when you compare it to the big anime games.

Making pixel-art takes time and effort. Being a mediocre pixelartist myself, I want to see people enjoying my art, to see that all the hard work gets appreciated.

All that aside BYOND is not really the best community for pixelartists there are other places that seem to appreciate the hard work more.
Pandors'sSecret is right and I'm also a pixel artist and from experience can say that working with the majority of byond developers is an absolute nightmare(This is why you don't see us advertising ourselves). The people that desire pixel artist need to figure out what the hell they want, clearly if your paying someone large amounts of money you know what you want from that person. But the rest of the time you get some vague little idiot telling you that they want a good base. Hang what is a good base; A well made hideout?, a hideout for good people?, or even a human? It's really annoying when people are like come work for me my project is amazing just needs pixel art, then they can't even describe the sort of atmosphere they want.
I started doing pixel art on byond i have got 100x better since then but there is a big lack of are kind here.
Pixel artists are like gold dust on Byond.

and.. this term GFX artist, it may be adding brushes and effects and fonts and borders and styles and renders and positioning and cutting and various other things to graphics, but there are 'different standards of quality which people put into them'.

Some people can really make things look beautiful.
DungeonDan wrote:
I started doing pixel art on byond i have got 100x better since then but there is a big lack of are kind here.

I honestly want to be a Pixel Artist myself. That way, I wouldn't have to bother with looking for one and I can help others at the same time, like Natojames.
SuperAntx wrote:
Enzuigiri wrote:
You have obviously only seen it done badly.

This is because it's only done badly.

Proof that it's only done badly? Because I can prove otherwise.

Enzuigiri wrote:

No you can't.
SuperAntx wrote:
Enzuigiri wrote:

No you can't.

But can you prove that it's only done badly? If so do it.
It's not my duty to prove it doesn't exist, the burden of proof lies in your hands to prove it does. I suppose next you'll want me to "prove" everyone's imaginary friends floating in the clouds aren't real either.
Page: 1 2