I've recently been developing a tower defense game, and it's the first time when starting a game that I've actually built a modular core system instead of patching the game together as I think of features. Although I've known of this approach for some time I've always had trouble organizing the code in a project and it has slowed my improvement as a developer. Breaching this organization barrier has made it so much easier to get things done. Although right now the game feels like a library with a demo instead of a game, it should come together as I finish up key aspects of the core systems, begin building content, and polish the interface.
I've run into a problem with trying to create a progressive difficulty curve for the enemies(towers as well). I need to take into account the wave number and difficulty while letting it be modifiable for different enemy stats, and enemy types. I haven't taken a math class in about 5 years so I'm hoping somebody can give me some pointers on this.
Also, is there an easy alternative to missile()? What I need to be able to do is replicate missile() but with control over how fast the missile moves. I've tried pixel projectiles but I don't need collision detection and I need it to always hit the target.
Back to my progress instead of my problems. It's steady but a bit slow. The motivation I had when I started was lost when I broke my hand, but I can still type slow. I've been reading over my code, correcting and improving where I can while I try to get motivation. One day, hopefully soon, I'll have something unique to show for my time here.
The part that feels like a library:
-A very flexible wave system capable of using hard-coded or dynamically generated wave patterns. Each wave pattern consists of small wave datums containing the information needed to generate the correct enemies at specific intervals of time.
Nov 3 2011, 12:58 pm