ID:121208

Hey guys. So I decided let me take a look at this C++ language that people keep talking about, so I went and searched up a article on the language and etc. Now I'm not one to learn things like programming languages by reading. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me?

-Spectra112
Well, here's a few good information repositories and tutorials I use(d):

cpluplus.com's tutorial

Learn C++ (I've found this one to be the most comprehensive tutorial out there)

Google C++ Style

Smart Pointers (oh god read this once you know how to use pointers asap)

SFML Game From Scratch (uses the SFML library, which I really recommend!)

Lazy Foo' Production Game Articles

Quick little intro to using MinGW

Not a tutorial or anything but in my opinion most importantly:

Code::Blocks IDE

If you'd rather watch videos than read, check out Bucky's tutorials: The New Boston

It also has tutorials on a variety of other languages, and other computer related subjects. Enjoy.
You're gonna have to read in order to gain knowledge about it. Also, I highly suggest going through the tutorial Duelmaster first posted. It's up to date with all of the new C++ features and it's mostly intended for people with no prior knowledge on programming.
ok great thank you all. And I already started reading cplusplus.com's tutorials :D

-Spectra112
if you are burning to learn about it, the best thing would be to buy a book.
People on youtube arent payed to learn you about programming, something that makes theyr video really hard to understand. Bookwriters are payed people that has top knowledge in programming, meaning they will asume you are an idiot from the first chapter, so you can follow each step and learn everything on the most memoryfull way.

If you don't have enough money, go read articles about it. there is plenty of them all over the internet, and they are hard to miss.
WHY YOU WOULD LEARN C++ from a book:
Else from what i said above.... you will gain massivly more understanding, not only in the c++ language, but in programming in general. problem solutions, debugging, more efficiency +++
Few years ago I tried to learn C++ by myself but I couln't motivate myself to keep learning.

Last year I started studying Programming on the University and know what? I completely mastered C and C++ console applications in half year. Currently mastering SQL and will start Java and Websites Creating (PHP, Javascript etc.) lessons in few months.

Anyone can attend on univeristy classes so you could always try to go there and learn that way.
ok thanks Tafe and Kisioj.
Tafe wrote:
People on youtube arent payed to learn you about programming, something that makes theyr video really hard to understand. Bookwriters are payed people that has top knowledge in programming, meaning they will asume you are an idiot from the first chapter, so you can follow each step and learn everything on the most memoryfull way.

Not every author's book is like that, trust me. Some authors assume you have prior knowledge about programming and some assume you don't.

Tafe wrote:
if you are burning to learn about it, the best thing would be to buy a book.

If you don't have enough money, go read articles about it. there is plenty of them all over the internet, and they are hard to miss.
WHY YOU WOULD LEARN C++ from a book:
Else from what i said above.... you will gain massivly more understanding, not only in the c++ language, but in programming in general. problem solutions, debugging, more efficiency +++

Some people on youtube are paid, have you ever heard of the Youtube Partnership Program?
I don't believe I have.
Yeah well this language is fun when you learn how to program it. It is also called visual basic i learned it like 2-3 years ago.

Kwaku Boakye
I'm looking towards coding some kind of game and maybe doing a little 3D art. Any suggestions towards engines or anything?

-Spectra112
I don't know any good game engines, but for 2D graphics I recommend either SFML or SDL.

SFML is a lot more object-oriented and utilizes the modern features of C++, while SDL is the older brother of SFML but lacks many modern conveniences of SFML. Both are good, but SDL is often considered the standard. SFML is a lot easier to use and has better documentation, also default hardware rendering.

For 3D graphics... ehhh... I can't really give any good suggestions. You're probably going to want to use an OpenGL wrapper for this. It's a little bit harder to use though, but very powerful.
lol thanks.
actually if you search in google the a really great pdf book. you could learn c++ in a short peirod of time. it teaches the basic first den goes indept. search for "Learn C++ in 21days" hope that helps

good luck
thanks. I will.