ID:121439
 
Greetings, BYOND Community.

I've been on BYOND for a couple of years now, which means that I've met a lot of the community and its developers. BYOND has become one of the most entertaining hobbies for me, and it's taught me a lot about developing games (Specifically MMO's).

The reason why Reformist and I created Obsidian Gaming was so that we could develop games at a relaxed pace. We don't ask for donations, nor do we receive -any- compensation for our work on these games. Regarding this, there's a few things that bother me about its community.

1) We don't have to make any games. We make the games solely for our own entertainment, and once it's done we offer you the chance to immerse yourself into the worlds we create - if you choose to do so.

2) If you haven't contributed anything to a project, don't unnecessarily post derogatory comments about Obsidian Gaming's developers. Regardless if you like the person or not, they are contributing to making these games, and you have -no- right to insult them. We strive to deliver a fair and professional developing atmosphere - anyone who hinders this will be permanently barred from playing any current or future games made by Obsidian Gaming.

3) The amount of trolls and criminals on BYOND is astounding. If you have nothing better to do than sit and troll people on BYOND, then I believe you need to rethink your priorities in life. Complaining to get what you want is the way of a child - and in the real world, that rarely if ever gets you anywhere.

4) Lack of respect. The BYOND community has no respect for each other - and this isn't conjecture, this is fact. Regardless what your philosophical and religious beliefs are, it is imperative that human beings respect each other - regardless if you agree or disagree with them.

5) General immaturity. I understand that BYOND doesn't have an age limit, but if you're over 12 you should know that it's important to behave yourself in a manner that doesn't hinder the online experience of others. Either your parents failed to raise you correctly, or you have some serious personal issues if you are not able to control your emotions - or actions.

What you say on do on the internet can build or destroy your reputation. When you reach a work environment, you'll realize that your opponents will do anything in their power to undermine you if you're seen as a threat. There have been countless cases of people being fired because of things that they said over facebook or twitter - don't do anything you will regret later.

Anyways, just my opinion. Any comments (Respectful and constructive) can be made here if you want to express your opinion.

Regards,
Hishido
Just saying, I don't necessarily have anything against the people that are making games, but I do dislike it when people spend all their time and effort to make an anime game.
Obsidian Gaming wrote:
3) The amount of trolls and criminals on BYOND is astounding.
4) Lack of respect. The BYOND community has no respect for each other
5) General immaturity.

Looking at your two hub entries (a Bleach game and a Naruto game), it's no wonder you have that opinion of BYOND. You're voluntarily involving yourself with the worst segment of BYOND users. If you don't like it, you just have to stop doing that.
Forum_account wrote:
Obsidian Gaming wrote:
3) The amount of trolls and criminals on BYOND is astounding.
4) Lack of respect. The BYOND community has no respect for each other
5) General immaturity.

Looking at your two hub entries (a Bleach game and a Naruto game), it's no wonder you have that opinion of BYOND. You're voluntarily involving yourself with the worst segment of BYOND users. If you don't like it, you just have to stop doing that.

Agree with F_A. The types of games you develop attract the users you complain about. If you dislike those people, stop giving them reasons to come here. Make a quality original game.
Thank you guys for your replies.

To clarify one thing, the main reason I'm on BYOND is for anime games, since there isn't really an MMORPG that's solely based on a single anime. I realize people frown on that, but it's my choice. I don't intend to give up on Anime games simply because their communities are incompetent.

Everything can be changed given the right set of rules and enthusiasm. Take Bleach Odyssey - Roleplay, for example. I had next to no trolls and that's because I simply didn't tolerate them. My staff can attest this. One mistake, and they were demoted and no questions further. Trolls were banned on the spot if they ever showed up.

I believe that if the community was even slightly willing, we could make the Anime genre very great. The problem is that there's never really been a competently executed anime game on BYOND (That I've seen.)

I agree with all of you, however. My final reason I'll give as to why I'm not working on an original game is that there are so many 3D, real MMORPGs out there at the moment that are original - why would someone play a 2D game if a more intensive and sophisticated environment is available in the MMORPG world?

Regards
Hishido
...

The same reason why people play Maplestory? Or Terraria as opposed to Minecraft? You think people automatically choose 3D over 2D when it comes to games? If so, you are sadly mistaken. The graphics of your game have nothing to do with anything - as long as they don't look inconsistent, the deciding factor if people will play your game or not is if it's fun.
@ EmpirezTeam

Not at all. The thing is, most MMORPGs have better gameplay than 2D games. That's fact - else the MMORPG sector would be dominated by 2D games, and not 3D games.

Also, while graphics isn't everything, the majority of modern gamers put a high value in it. Skyrim wasn't fun, but it got incredible ratings. It's gameplay was messy and there were a lot of bugs.

Also, it would be cheaper and less time consuming for game production companies to make 2D art for their games instead of 3D art. There's a reason why BYOND games get at a max 150-175 people online at a single time. There's a reason why MMORPGs like WoW have over 20 million.

Also, please attempt to be less antagonistic in your posts. I am not, in fact, an idiot. I'm expressing my opinion.

Regards
Hishido
The reason BYOND games get "a max of 150-175 people online at a single time" [citation needed] is because BYOND's community is vastly smaller than WoW's community. It's also because WoW is an actual game, BYOND is a community for hobbyist developers.

Why are 3D games made? Because the environments are being made to be more and more realistic. The world is in 3D.

I do hope that when you say, "relaxed pace" you don't mean, "whenever I spontanously feel like working on it" because that is a bad way to go about making a game. You should be making games because you have an idea that you want to bring to life. You should NOT be making games to be making games. If you're making games to be making games, it becomes a chore, and eventually, the game is dropped (or shelved, depending on how optimistic the creator is).

No one is saying that you must make games. But if you decide to make a game, actually make a game. Don't let it sit in your C: drive for 6 months and then go, "Oh, and I was working on Mermaid Melody Online... What was I doing on it again?"
Obsidian Gaming wrote:
Also, it would be cheaper and less time consuming for game production companies to make 2D art for their games instead of 3D art. There's a reason why BYOND games get at a max 150-175 people online at a single time. There's a reason why MMORPGs like WoW have over 20 million.

Maybe it's just unfortunate positioning of those sentences, but it looks like you're saying that 2D games can only attract 150-175 people, while 3D games are more popular and can attract 20 million people.

This whole discussion assumes that you have to use BYOND to make an MMORPG type of game. It's not a matter of graphics being 2D or 3D, BYOND just isn't best suited for those types of games. My guess is that any huge mainstream hit made with BYOND will be singleplayer or small group multiplayer (ex: Starcraft, Diablo 2, etc.).
BYOND games don't get fewer players because 3D games are superior. They get fewer players because they are lower in quality period, or haven't been marketed. Maplestory has 8 million players. If 3D is superior as you say it is, it shouldn't have anyone in it as there are several anime-themed alternatives in 3D out there, yet players consistently choose Maplestory over them.

My point is, "3D is better" is not an excuse to not make an original game when we have games like Terraria selling 200,000 copies in a week ( exceeding 3D games like Portal 2 ). As always, making an anime game isn't evil or anything. It's just the reasoning behind doing it is what I don't get about the anime crowd.

I'm expressing my opinion.

Obsidian Gaming wrote:
That's fact
Pockie ninjas is literally one of the worst games I have ever seen and its player base = 2 maybe 3 times the BYOND community.
You're still stupid, you're still ignorant of your own ignorance, and you're never going to make a single game
Obsidian Gaming wrote:
Also, while graphics isn't everything, the majority of modern gamers put a high value in it. Skyrim wasn't fun, but it got incredible ratings. It's gameplay was messy and there were a lot of bugs.

Skyrim isn't fun? News to me, as well as the VAST majority of its player base :P
Jaredoggy wrote:
Skyrim isn't fun? News to me, as well as the VAST majority of its player base :P

You're only playing Skyrim because of its orgasm-inducing graphics and you know it!
And yet again there are people posting here who have no respect for others. @ EmpirezTeam - I can tell that you're used to getting your way and that you don't like to be wrong; When you don't get your way, you turn to sarcasm and mocking. Again, that is the way of a child. You need to wake up - this is the real world. Someone with your personality and attitude does not deserve to even be listened to. As such, I'm banning you from Obsidian Gaming's hub and future games. The post specifically stated to post respectful and constructive posts.

Regards,
Hishido.
"Debate Tactics 101: If you can't win an argument, ban the other person to save yourself from future embarrassment." (EmpirezTeam)

EDIT: Made the quote direct instead of paraphrased.
Obsidian Gaming fits this description perfectly.
Don't worry about it. Exceptions exist. But I've seen it with several teams since I've joined BYOND. I used to be part of the rip crowd myself. Things change, people mature.

I can't say too much without sounding too presumptuous. That post is pretty much modeled after people like Narutorox123456 who form "companies" and either A. Suck at programming or B. Don't do squat.

That post was based on teams of the past. The banning of EmpirezTeam reminded me of how much that happens. But that doesn't mean you will become like that. History just isn't on your side. So my suggestion is to make sure it isn't you.
Adding onto what Reformist said, I quite agree.

Yes, we haven't released any decent games - yet. We take the time to polish our own games before releasing them - we refuse to release games with sub-par quality and, as you should have noticed ages ago, non of our rip games are even online anymore.

Furthermore, a lot of people on this and other blog posts have made criticism towards us - they did not get banned. I banned EmpirezTeam because I felt his posts were antagonistic and egotistical. Did anyone else get banned? No.

@ Forum_Account
I have a lot of respect for you, but that was uncalled for. We've always treated our players and everyone visiting this blog fairly. We only have 3 people on our ban list : Crazah, Avainer1 and EmpirezTeam. I do not ban people for expressing their opinion in a sophisticated way.

Regardless, we at Obsidian Gaming will always strive to deliver the best quality games that we can provide.

Regards
Hishido
Page: 1 2