ID:1216081

BYOND Version:498
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 25.0.1364.172
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Several times while trying to connect to a Space Station 13 game (Gibbed #4), Dream Seeker appeared to crash. Checking Task Manager and Resource Monitor showed that Dream Seeker was using an entire CPU core, and in the course of only a couple minutes managed to use up over TEN GIGABYTES of hard drive space. This space was reclaimed when the process was killed, but happened a couple times.
HARDDRIVE space? Dream Seeker?

That makes no sense. The client would only use ram. 10 GB of ram doesn't even make sense. Hard drive space is only used for the resources downloaded from the server.
Sounds strange to me too 10GB is a huge amount I don't think BYOND has a game over 500mb....
In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:
HARDDRIVE space? Dream Seeker?

That makes no sense. The client would only use ram. 10 GB of ram doesn't even make sense. Hard drive space is only used for the resources downloaded from the server.

hard drive use space for page files when RAM is running low.
http://lifehacker.com/5426041/ understanding-the-windows-pagefile-and-why-you-shouldnt-disa ble-it
Sure, but you have to understand how large 10 GB is when it comes to BYOND. It's...pretty darn large.
That would be why I reported it. This occurred during the 'start-up' when dream seeker has downloaded the .rsc file but before it has finished loading and drawing the game window.

This happened multiple times, and each time Dream Seeker had been hung while using 100% of a CPU core and I have watched the HD free space plummet. After killing the Dream Seeker process, the free space returned to what it was previously.
In your byond user directory (usually located at my documents/byond/) there is a folder called cache/, and inside that folder there should be a file called byond.rsc. Is that file unusually large? Are there any other large files in the cache?

I'm trying to figure out how the client could use up so much disk space. The only allocation it should be doing is for game resources like images or sounds, and those are cached to the .rsc and should be loaded in RAM. As someone noted above, once your available RAM is exceeded the harddrive will be used for "virtual RAM", but I don't see how this would even be possible for the client. My best guess is that it got put into a state where it was looping dynamically created icons, but even then I don't see how the network could transmit them fast enough to generate this result.

Do you know if anyone else has seen this problem and/or if this could be a malicious server?
I don't know of anyone else seeing this problem, but I'm pretty sure the Gibbed #4 server (space station 13) isn't malicious. I was able to connect properly after a few tries.

The current size of my cache is just over 70MB; I'll see if I can replicate the hang condition at some point and check my BYOND cache again at that point.