ID:122610

The title has nothing to do with this post other than that it's probably going to be my last one on this blog. I've got a personal blog that I'm going to be trying to use more often than I do now to show off projects that I have going on.

Before I go off on a tangent about my current projects/set of projects, I have my own personal set of mini-rants about the site updates and some things that have stemmed from it.

The first mini-rant is about this 'cash shop' idea people keep trying to throw out there. Cash shops are a good idea, but it's not something that should be integrated into the BYOND site and software.

From a design perspective, it doesn't make much sense to have a cash shop for your game created by the people that wrote the software you made your game in. From a player's perspective, it's also confusing to have to use this third party system for a cash shop. From Tom/Lummox/BYOND's standpoint, it's an implementation nightmare. It's easy to tell them that they would do well with adding a cash shop for micro-transactions, but when it comes to actually implementing that and integrating it with the software it sort of blows. There's so many different scenarios that you have to consider such as items with one use, items with multiple use, lifetime items. Then you also have to consider how it actually behaves, if it should be broadcasted to all servers, one server, a polling method.

The only realistic way to implement it would really be just offering the items and then making the developer poll for that information, keeping track of real uses, and also making them responsible for 'clearing' the purchase in that the item is no longer available to the user. Even then, that's sort of ugly and you're better off just implementing it yourself.

My second mini-rant is about the update itself. It's awesome. As someone that's had to deal with problem users on the front page and as someone that tries to keep up with recent going ons, it provides a much more organized method of doing so. Instead of traveling back and forth between the members page and the forum, I can instead stick to one place. That's all on that topic.

The rest of this post is dedicated to my recent project. I'm working on a 2D renderer so that I can participate in the next Ludum Dare. It's actually a three-part project, the renderer, the scene (map) editor, and the sprite editor. I had done quite a bit on the renderer to the point where I'm pretty happy with it.

This is the renderer itself. Basically, it has three categories of renderable objects: Scene objects, dynamics, and overlays. The scene objects are managed by the Scene class itself. Dynamics are drawn next and include what would typically be implemented as a /mob or an /obj in DM- anything that can move. The third category is overlays, which would be things like the command console and any sort of HUD. The picture is about how far I've gotten on it so far.

The second part of the project is the sprite editor, SpritED. It's not a sprite editor in the sense that it edits images, it's a sprite editor in the sense that it takes 24-bit bitmap spritesheets and makes sprite definition files out of the information I give it, including state names, bounding boxes, and animation information. It is complete, as of now (except when I started writing the next section I realized I forgot to add in a density toggle :\):

(Clicking does not open thumbnail viewer)

The final part is the scene editor, ScenED. It loads sprite definition files and allows them to be placed on the map. There's not much more to it than that.

(Still no thumbnail viewer)

Oh, and a picture showing off the command console:

That wraps that up. Happy 2012, y'all, and I'll see ya around. Maybe.

[EDIT]

To clarify or shorten up my point about the new layout, it's basically lurker's paradise and it makes me happy.
Very nice! I wish I had the skills in C++ to write stuff like this. I never got very far in the syntax of C++ though, my classes mostly just worked with text output when it came to displaying things since it was just CSC1010 and CSC2010(is CSC computer science?).
So what you are saying is you rebuilt BYOND? :P
CauTi0N wrote:
So what you are saying is you rebuilt BYOND? :P

I did not see the slightest hint of that in this post.
KetchupKid: Once you get the hang of it, it's really not that bad. C++'s syntax is somewhat complicated, and a lot of the implied things that compilers do can be confusing to someone that's not entirely used to it. You should write a small text-based game, then work your way up and try out SDL's drawing, then move on to trying out SDL + OpenGL and go from there.

CauTi0N: No, because I don't really want to write my own compiler + Virtual Machine. It takes time to get everything working perfectly, so it's easier to just write a renderer ('engine', so to speak), draw the spritesheets and make the map, then write all actor information and whatnot in C++ and plug in the renderer.
Audeuro wrote:
From a design perspective, it doesn't make much sense to have a cash shop for your game created by the people that wrote the software you made your game in. From a player's perspective, it's also confusing to have to use this third party system for a cash shop.

I agree. The BYOND staff recognizes the benefit of making it possible to create BYOND games that people can download and play without needing to know what BYOND is. It'd look very questionable to say "give money to this third party to buy items in my game".

BYOND is a tool for game developers, but the staff tries to make money from the game players. Other than including advertisements (which Tom is against) I can't think of a decent way to make money off the BYOND game players.
Why do we look for the players to be the source of money anyway for BYOND? Keyword "player", meaning their job is to simply play our games, not to support the website. The developers are the ones who are supporting the website.

The only way BYOND would indirectly make money from players is when developers use some of the money they make from their game subscriptions to extend their membership or donate. Other than that, there is no way. Instead, what we need is more incentive to be a developer. Kongregate offers a ton of things for their developers, including contests for thousands of dollars. Not to mention there is currently more benefit in making games in Flash than in DM. Hopefully that changes soon.
For a long time BYOND has been thought of as a community of game players, when really it's only a community of game developers. Each BYOND game has a player community, but despite people thinking otherwise, BYOND only has a developer community. BYOND is a game development tool so it should be obvious that BYOND is a community of game developers, but people have been thinking different for so long it's hard to get them to realize this.

I'd guess that most of the money BYOND receives directly from users is from development-minded users (people who aren't just BYOND game players) who either donate or buy gift memberships (buying memberships for someone else, often a complete stranger). This means that most of the money comes from developers who are giving money to support BYOND - they're not game players and they're not buying memberships just to get the membership-only features. To make more money, BYOND just needs more developers. To find ways to get more developers they just have to look at the feature request tracker.