ID:123069

Keywords: website
We're just about ready to take our new site update live. That makes me happy because we really need to get back to work on things people care about. I hope this is the last major site update we have to make for at least a couple of years.

The plan is to take the old site down around 8pm PST 10pm PST. Tuesday night.** Expect a downtime of two or three hours. The hub/pager will go down simultaneously, but we'll try to get that back up ASAP-- probably no more than an hour of downtime. Throughout this downtime, you'll still be able connect to BYOND games if you know the url (the server:port format).

We may be halting some minor services such as forum and blog posting prior to this time so that we can move data around.

I will update this post as services go down and come back up.

About the update

The previous post explained some details, but I sense a bit of confusion so I want to clarify.

First off, while this is largely complete, there are a few pieces in progress. Notably, while users will lose the ability to customize their pages in this update, that is something we plan on addressing later down the line (eg, allowing custom color configurations for home and hub pages).

Secondly, I get the impression that users think they are losing their ability to make personal posts (the wave of these "my last blog post" topics). That really isn't the case here. While it's true that we are losing the concept of a blog, all we're really doing is moving such posts to the Community forum. You are still free to talk about pretty much anything within reason-- there are a few guidelines you'll see when we go live. The main advantage of having this go through the forum system is that it'll be easier to both view and moderate with everything in a centralized place.

What happens next?

Existing blog posts will not be lost. They will be moved by default to the aforementioned Community forum, and in some cases will be moved to other forums depending on prior categorization. Our moderators will go through some of the posts and reorganize them appropriately. You, too, can aid in this effort by moving your own posts.

Forum posts in the main developer & help forums are being moved over, but forum posts in existing sites/guilds will, unfortunately, be inaccessible after this update. We are not deleting them so theoretically we could import them later, but that's probably not going to happen. You can always contact me if you want an archive at a later date, though. The intention is to keep external forums limited to BYOND games/resources and have those done in the respective hub forums; general discussion can just go in the main forums (which we can expand as necessary).

Alongside this update, we're moving to all new, much better hardware, so theoretically the lag should be greatly cutdown. That may be a bit shaky in the first week or two as we iron out the kinks. Because we're moving to new IP, there may be some minor website inaccessibility as DNS updates, but in my experience in testing this, it has been pretty quick to resolve. We'll have the old IP accessible so can route or provide instructions for stubborn networks.

Well, that's about it. This should be fun!

**Edit x2 -- we found ourselves making too many last minute changes which is dangerous at this late hour, so we are delaying the update until tomorrow evening, Tuesday 1/24. Sorry to disappoint. Happy blogging!
Can't wait! (:
Good luck.
yayayaya.
So yeah, buy a byond membership ASAP.
Awsum
Hmmmm I didn't like the change last time, but lets give it a go!
AWESOME!!!
I"m READY!!
Good point. The new price is $24/year so you can still get in on the $18 rate if you want now. But we are offering a new $15 for six months Membership.

The yearly membership is only $2/month which shouldn't be much to anyone who can afford an Internet connection. While hub creation is useful for prospective developers, I still hope some people will buy Membership as a way of supporting a piece of software that they enjoy using.

Sounds great. Good luck.
Nice ^^
Tom wrote:
Good point. The new price is $24/year so you can still get in on the $18 rate if you want now. But we are offering a new $15 for six months Membership.

The yearly membership is only $2/month which shouldn't be much to anyone who can afford an Internet connection. While hub creation is useful for prospective developers, I still hope some people will buy Membership as a way of supporting a piece of software that they enjoy using.

Thanks. :p
I can't wait! Should be interesting!
Lige wrote:
Good luck. Hopefully this turns out for the better. I suppose only time will tell.

On that note, if things turn out well enough, I'll even return to release a project.

Please let this go well lol. It would be good for the community if this welcomed and much anticipated changed work for the better.
$15 for 6 months? Seems a bit cheap. I don't like that idea. Why not $18?
It should be $30 for 6 months and $24 for a year. Just to force people into making a good decision.
He already said $15. Don't argue with him.
Wow remove your lips from his behind lol.
GreatFisher wrote:
Wow remove your lips from his behind lol.

We've already heavily debated this topic with him... I doubt more discussion is going to change his mind.
I don't really care about the 6 month price I'm never going to buy it.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5