Just out of curiosity, is my ban from the front page going to carry over to give me any sort of restrictions on the new forum?
No, those things will be reset when we go live.
Alright, thanks.
Tom get on MSN!
I'm sorry, we just ran too late into the night with changes so we will be doing this update tomorrow.
dayum boy.
This anticipation is going to do me in, guys. /:
Ah, 1 day delay is fine. CK II just got delayed a week for 'marketing reasons' ;p
If you just throw everything into a Forum, how are you going to promote high quality and usefull Articles written by your users?

When it comes to forums, posts are generally parts of a "conversation", because that's what forums were made for.
Forums are not a place where high quality artricles are posted, because it is difficult to find them. On a blog, the first post ist generally a long and fleshed out Article and the comments are the discussion about that Article, so basically you get the gist from reading "what's on top". In a Forum you have to browse through the whole conversation if you just want to "get the picture" of a topic.

If you threat Articles equally with forum topics, they will drown in a sea of junk.

Also there is a problem with demotivating people to write good articles. First is ownership: a forum is a pubic place and it feels like one, because in the same place, you can find stuf of many different persons. A blog on the other hand is a personal space, where what i write will be without a questin my work. People who read my Articles will recognize them as mine, because, they visited my space to read it. On a forum on the other hand, i don't have a personal space, people who read my articles will be like: "Well, someone just posted something good." insted of "Hey this guy posts good stuff."

I could go on and on, but let's see what's coming up, since i don't know what you are planning exactly.
Amsel wrote:
If you just throw everything into a Forum, how are you going to promote high quality and usefull Articles written by your users?

When it comes to forums, posts are generally parts of a "conversation", because that's what forums were made for.
Forums are not a place where high quality artricles are posted, because it is difficult to find them. On a blog, the first post ist generally a long and fleshed out Article and the comments are the discussion about that Article, so basically you get the gist from reading "what's on top". In a Forum you have to browse through the whole conversation if you just want to "get the picture" of a topic.

If you threat Articles equally with forum topics, they will drown in a sea of junk.

Also there is a problem with demotivating people to write good articles. First is ownership: a forum is a pubic place and it feels like one, because in the same place, you can find stuf of many different persons. A blog on the other hand is a personal space, where what i write will be without a questin my work. People who read my Articles will recognize them as mine, because, they visited my space to read it. On a forum on the other hand, i don't have a personal space, people who read my articles will be like: "Well, someone just posted something good." insted of "Hey this guy posts good stuff."

I could go on and on, but let's see what's coming up, since i don't know what you are planning exactly.

All good points. But it seems as if they are putting alot of work into this website, this is their lively hood and they seem to love what they do very much. I seriously doubt that they would do something detrimental to making the most out of things at this point.

I personally would like to see the Code help/Dev How to bits of the current forum change to something like

http://answers.unity3d.com/index.html
They really have a great system for promoting positive and quickly answered questions/queries.
@Amsel: You make a really good point.
First, we'll have to see the site changes before we say it's that bad, though.

@Tom: Why Tuesday night and not Tuesday morning or afternoon? Do you guys have a day job that isn't working on BYOND or something?
Complex Robot wrote:
@Tom: Why Tuesday night and not Tuesday morning or afternoon? Do you guys have a day job that isn't working on BYOND or something?

I rather suspect that this gives them longer to work on the updates that were being extended far into the night. Also, they may want to make sure they give fair warning to the users.
Neblim wrote:
Funny, everyone's like "OMg where's my downtime?". Go program or something? lol

It's the same as an MMO launch or an expansion release. We're hyping ourselves up for something that we know deep down isn't going to be the smoothest transition.
WTF YOU BUGGED EVERY GAME!
TheEpicWin wrote:
WTF YOU BUGGED EVERY GAME!

^ Lolwat.
We're on schedule, so plan for downtime around 8PM PST, in about an hour.
Just so we're clear, this is only effecting the website/pager during the downtime right?
You can always connect to games if you know the url, if that's what you mean.

We'll try to keep the pager downtime relatively short .. hopefully under an hour. The website may take a bit longer. And since we've moved to new hardware there will be some connectivity issues for a few but I don't expect that to last too long. That will only affect the website as we'll continue running the hub from our old machines alongside the new ones.
We're doing a test run which should take ~1 hour and then we'll do the full update.
No. Just no.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5