ID:1234080

When playing Skyrim or any other RPG, I always hate doing side quests. Whenever I get a side quest, it just feels like Im being given a chore instead of an awesome quest. I think this is because of the standard for "quests" in most modern day RPGs. You have to go through the same crap each time you do a side quest.

Skyrim: Go in this Nordic burial tomb full of obvious traps and fetch my legacy while rescuing someone who can't even die.

WoW: Go kill 10 flyinganusfagets and bring me their body parts.

BYOND RPGS: Hey man, I was reading in a cave with a bunch of lava, wyverns, mazes, and giant spiders, but I left my book in there! Can you go get it for me?

See the pattern? The quests you see on RPGs are either repetitive, boring, unrealistic, or all of the above. I think a better way to do quests would be a given. Just make quests that have more adventure. Seriously, just develop an awesome story and go. Fill the questing area with suitable enemies, traps, puzzles, and diversity. What are your thoughts on making quests better?

The problem with Skyrim and Oblivion is that they don't allow the player to fail.

Morrowind got it right.
Yeah, Morrowind's quests never felt like chores. I think it might have been the game telling you EXACTLY what to do in Oblivion and Skyrim that made them feel really dull.
In response to GamerMania
GamerMania wrote:
Yeah, Morrowind's quests never felt like chores. I think it might have been the game telling you EXACTLY what to do in Oblivion and Skyrim that made them feel really dull.

I tend to go with the approach of using the current or existing world to involve the player. What I mean is some "caves" are made specifically to be entered to go get X item.

Rather, come up with something that already exists in the game world, and give it a two or threefold purpose and allow the player to experience it. Most games use quests as filler, that offer no real value, just a random task to be optionally fulfilled.

Teach an unknown game mechanic to the player at the same time. Integrate a mini game, a puzzle or something of that nature into a quest and instantly the player is more interested because it's something new, interesting or different.
Variable conditions to complete quests, variable rewards based on level of completion, timescale of completion and if you can stick some kind of moral or technical deviation somewhere in there then suddenly you have a quest/miniquest that can be done more than once in a lifetime (and sometimes, even in the same gameplay :p).

For example instead of "collect 10 of these" you can have "collect as many as you can before it gets dark!". The reward can vary between something not worth your time for a low number of items collected, to something powerful for a lot. Almost all major RPGs have had this to a degree at some point or another, the Golden Saucer in FF7 is full of things like this.

Another aspect is that miniquests and minigames should normally involve mechanics that aren't used in the rest of the game. They are designed as fillers and breaks from the main game, so why use the exact same mechanic as the rest of it?

"Rather, come up with something that already exists in the game world, and give it a two or threefold purpose and allow the player to experience it. Most games use quests as filler, that offer no real value, just a random task to be optionally fulfilled."

This. Any location that isn't a dramatic story related place that you'll never go back to, all locations should have at least two purposes, and at least one of those should be beyond the point you first encounter it, to increase re playability of that area.
I like GW2 questing where you don't have to find an NPC to receive a quest and you don't have to walk all the way back to them to receive the reward for said quest. Quests just pop up on the mini-map, you do them, and you receive the reward instantly after completing it, eliminating the pointless, time-consuming walks back and forth.

Although this doesn't necessarily make questing more fun, it just makes it more convenient.
That sounds better for gameplay mechanics, but for realism, I would advise designers NOT to do this for the sake of those who RP or want finding quests to also be a challenge.
In response to GamerMania
In terms of realism you could give your adventurer a carrier pigeon or something, that turns the quests in for you.

Really no need to make the player trek back 3 continents to turn in a quest they got 60 hrs previously. (That's a bit of an extreme analogy-but you know what I'm saying.)

You could also just as easily give player's a warp spell that will return them back to the last place they were before they used the spell. Lots of ways you can handle it (if speaking from a standpoint of realism.)
I don't think streamlining fetch quests with silly ideas of realism is the answer to adjusting the problem with quests in general. I think the answer is in the narrative and the environment, not the system.
The real question here is why do you want your fantasy game to be realistic?

Unless we're talking about designing a game like a military simulator ( America's Army type game ), keeping your game realistic is irrelevant. The OP listed games that have walking, talking pandas that practice Shaolin and can make fireballs rain down from the heavens. The reality ship set sail a long time ago.
Fetch quests are just a fact of life in RPGs. One thing I like about how Skyrim handles them, though, is that you have a decent chance of finding something interesting if it's a location you've never been to: a skill book or a word wall, for example, depending on the location.
Average quest in a MMORPG: Kill 10 slimes for 1000 exp.
Time to complete: 5 minutes, 4 of this is spent going to and coming back from the location.

Average quest in a real RPG:

Visit tavern and talk to noble. Accept invite to his land.

Visit nobles land, get attacked by monsters. Oh no! They were knights and both you and them were cursed to see each other as monsters. You will now be hunted by knights.

Visit guy who will (or wont if you are evil) help explain your situation to the knights, thus buying you time. (Or ignore this if you are evil or don't care about the knights)

If good and do the above step, persons daughter is kidnapped by the noble. You must save her. (If evil you simply want revenge now)

Visit the nobles castle which turns out to be more of a dungeon than castle.

Battle through many encounters, disarm deadly traps.

OPTIONAL: Someone is exploring the dungeon and wants you to obtain an item for them. It is guarded by magic that cannot be disarmed except with a single item.
To do this first defeat several guardians each holding a piece of the item.
Now wear the item and disable the magic.
Now collect the item.
This item is very powerful, you can keep it (and kill the person who wanted it), or peacefully give it to them.

Now finish exploring the dungeon.

Finally confront the noble, turns out he is really a dragon and is doing this to amuse himself!

Defeat the dragons goons to save the daughter.

OPTIONAL: Defeat the dragon (if you can).

Return to father and daughter for reward.

Time to complete: 2-4 hours.

Now tell me why one quest is boring and the other is not.
In response to The Magic Man
Cause epic quest is epic.
The Magic Man pretty much hit the nail on the head. The problem is that modern MMOs and RPGs have turned away from storyline driven events into progression driven checklists.

Progression is a staple of the multiplayer experience, whereas storyline is the staple of the singleplayer experience. Due to the success of MMOs and WoW's model in particular, game designers decided that "checklist quests are what players want". And it was true! For several years that quest model was fun for players - even for singleplayer. However as with many things, player taste has evolved and what was fresh is now stale. Checklist quests are dying a death that simply isn't fast enough.

There's another consideration though: can monkeys program these quests? The game industry, like any other, wants to cut costs and turn more profit - especially AAA publishers. One great way is to stop paying expensive system and mechanic designers to create content and start paying cheaper rates by employing level and content designers. These positions have lower barrier for entry and consequentially lower pay and a slimmer skillset. Not to say that these folks are bad at what they do - certainly not, but they probably don't have the programming (or more accurately scripting) knowledge that the more seasoned designers do.

Checklist quests are really easy to program.

component = addComponent(QUESTTYPE_FETCH, giverNpc, receiverNpc);
component.items = ['plantSmallRedLava': 5, 'boneSmallLizard': 2];
component.timer = 60.0f;
component.reward = QUESTREWARD_EASY;
etc.

This allows the designer without extensive scripting knowledge to be creating content with less training and less hassle. He can easily create dozens of checklist quests to populate an entire quest zone. How long would it take to make even 5 "epic" quests if you had to script specific functionality for each one?
In response to Polatrite
While this may be true in many cases, even WoW is starting to come out of their shell a bit and are creating more story driven quest-lines. But I digress.

We're comparing games we develop to those expedited by AAA developers like Blizzard, and we simply can't do that. The reason behind long and tedious progression is due to it being a subscription based game. Meaning they want you to play it for as long as possible before getting bored, which they've most certainly mastered.

I've made this point several times before, but most games here just won't be subscription based, which kinda makes it completely moot for the progression to be tedious. It's these "Minor MMO's" where the game then has to focus on tying the story into these quests in a believable fashion.

This is a case where if it doesn't quack like a duck, no matter how much it looks like one, no one is going to think it's a duck.

MMO's are predetermined by players to have tedious questing, equipment, stats, ect., and if the game doesn't fit the trope, they become confused and easily turned away. I think this semi-related article sums it up best.

Everyone has this "amazing" and "original" idea about how to change the paradigm of a genre, but unfortunately, they all suck. And what's worse is that these people don't even fully understand the genre they're trying mess with in the first place. That's like trying to redesign an automobile's engine without understanding first how the original engine works.

TL;DR If you read nothing else, at least take this:

Before you try "revolutionizing" the MMO, start by actually developing a traditional MMO first and THEN see what can be improved. I promise you'll understand why your original idea sucks.