Event Apr 26 2013, 7:00 pm
to Jun 29 2013, 7:00 pm
ID:1247905

Lately I've been thinking it would be nice to have a gallery of place holder "art" that is donated by others.
Not odds and ends, but rather, some bases of various types, tile sets, objects,etc.

For the less artistically inclined, a pool of resources free for anyone to use, donated by the people of this community.

Just curious what other people might think about this and how many would be interested in contributing to the construction of something like this (aka setting up the website format, adding the art,etc).
opengameart.org
In response to Ter13
I'm aware that there are numerous sites to gather some art from, in my experience it's a bit difficult to find much of anything that matches, tbh. I have a few sites I know of similiar to the one you linked. Aside from that I was thinking something specialized to DM.

In response to Dariuc
Dariuc wrote:
I'm aware that there are numerous sites to gather some art from, in my experience it's a bit difficult to find much of anything that matches, tbh. I have a few sites I know of similiar to the one you linked. Aside from that I was thinking something specialized to DM.

In my experience, the more that we try to be a self-contained community, the more it is going to further push us away from the mainstream audience.

But yeah, go for it, I guess, if that's what you want to do. Just keep in mind that the more we deviate from the mainstream, the larger of a divide we create between ourselves and that mainstream audience.
In response to Ter13
I never find anything useful on opengameart. It's just bits and pieces, nothing ever complete. I've spent a long time looking on it too, never used anything on it.
Perhaps Falacy's Iconshare Game may be of use? Its helped me out tons of times
I think it be a good way to draw people to byonds page by having "free" artwork. Thus, drawing more google traffic.
A2J2TIWARI wrote:
Also who are might not pool resources.

wat.
I've been debating about this for a while myself. I'm not too worried about it pushing us away from mainstream, because I think the point is that if there were more free resource graphics then maybe it would be easier for at least a few people here to make, finish, and actually release games; which would hopefully far outweigh any negatives that might of been presented here.

My only concern is the fact that it might not do any good. I don't know how many people are interested in it, and if too many games or a lot of rips get into using the icons then people may start ignoring them because of how frequently they're seen, or because of where they were seen.

It honestly seems like a great idea to me, so hopefully other responses and opinions given here will prove that it would do more good than harm.
In response to Toddab503
^^ mhm.
How can you forget Elk?
I disagree about that to a certain degree.
A2J2TIWARI wrote:
Akando5959 wrote:
I think it be a good way to draw people to byonds page by having "free" artwork. Thus, drawing more google traffic.

None of the BYOND artists(except Zane, Zete, Ali, Hulio, Egor and UPD4T3) are good enough to make art resources that can attract outsiders. Also who are might not pool resources.

That may be your opinion but I believe differently. There are other great artists out there on byond with at least some level of professional polish to their work that go unnoticed.

Not only that but having a friendly community goes a long way in attracting people, unfortunately there are less friendly people on byond than artists worth their salt.

The fact is with GameMaker studio and other software developing making it easier for indie developers to create 2D games for android and such there is probably more traffic than ever for free pixel resources so why not at least give it a try.
In response to MechaCloud
MechaCloud wrote:
Not only that but having a friendly community goes a long way in attracting people, unfortunately there are less friendly people on byond than artists worth their salt.

Sadly, this will never happen :(

I can do quality pixel work but I am completely preoccupied working on my own project to get involved in any facet with others, thus I have been disconnected from this community for the past several years.
I believe PopLava had something similar, but it required you to log in once a day or make purchases :/
In response to The Monster Atlas
You mean this: http://www.byond.com/games/PopLava/ResourceCenter

He still actually hosts it, don't know why anyone would give him money for anything on there though. It just encourages people to sell their resources instead of helping the community and they're usually really basic things he's asking $5+ dollars for.
In response to Zecronious
Zecronious wrote:

He still actually hosts it, don't know why anyone would give him money for anything on there though. It just encourages people to sell their resources instead of helping the community and they're usually really basic things he's asking $5+ dollars for.

You do realize you're a hypocrite? You bought a BYOND membership for really basic things Tom and Lummox are asking $24 for.
In response to Cloud Magic
Cloud Magic wrote:
Zecronious wrote:

You do realize you're a hypocrite? You bought a BYOND membership for really basic things Tom and Lummox are asking $24 for.

I'd say there's a difference. He is directly supporting Tom and Lummox (maybe Dan?) while PopLava is sort of acting like a middle man. I don't know how transactions are done on that server but I'm assuming the artist either gets a cut or not.
In response to The Monster Atlas
The Monster Atlas wrote:
Cloud Magic wrote:
Zecronious wrote:

I'd say there's a difference. He is directly supporting Tom and Lummox (maybe Dan?) while PopLava is sort of acting like a middle man. I don't know how transactions are done on that server but I'm assuming the artist either gets a cut or not.

The resources support the entirety of BYOND's community. I don't know what else to say to satisfy you.
Page: 1 2