ID:1254044

Resolved
The pager and Dream Seeker will no longer pop up a security warning in the event that an ad attempts to display a mix of secure and insecure content.
BYOND Version:499.1181
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro
Web Browser:Internet Explorer 9.0
Applies to:BYOND Pager

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Sometimes when using the pager, there will be certain ads that trigger an Internet Explorer Security Warning dialog box. Specifically it says "Do you want to view only the webpage content that was delivered securely?". I have only clicked "Yes" whenever this comes up, which results in the ad box turning blank white, and containing only the text "NavigationCancelled". I assume the ad would display normally if "No" were clicked. Once the ad box displays "NavigationCancelled", it stays that way, and never refreshes for as long as the pager continues running.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Open the BYOND pager.
2. Keep clicking the Expand/Collapse button to refresh the ad until the Security Warning dialog appears.
3. Click the "Yes" button.
4. Click on Expand/Collapse again to observe that the ad box is broken.

This might take a while to reproduce, since the ads are random.

Expected Results:
No Security Warning dialog is ever displayed, and the ad box functions normally, and if navigation does get cancelled the box refreshes to display another ad.

Actual Results:
The Security Warning dialog appears, and upon clicking "Yes", the ad box becomes broken, with the text "NavigationCancelled".

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
At random, when certain ads attempt to display.

When does the problem NOT occur?
When you get lucky and the problem ads don't attempt to display!

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?
Unknown

Workarounds:
You could probably change Internet Explorer's security settings to make the dialog go away, but I wouldn't suggest it.

The displaying of that dialog tells me that the BYOND pager is using a secure connection, and that there is something insecure about some of the ads. I don't know which ads these are, since the dialog effectively blocks them, but one appears to have a dark purple background. Anyway, I can imagine there would be a way to filter out any ads that do not use HTTPS for example, if that happens to be the root of the problem. I sure hope none of this is malicious.

Update: I found out one of the bad ads is for bp (British Petroleum). It runs an Adobe Flash movie, and ends with "Committed to the Gulf. Committed to America." I find it funny it would be them to overlook what is probably a trivial security flaw. It triggered the Security Warning dialog box twice.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
The pager and Dream Seeker will no longer pop up a security warning in the event that an ad attempts to display a mix of secure and insecure content.