In response to Jean Sqribe
Jean Sqribe wrote:
LoL is a Dota rip essentially, but look how big they became. In my opinion there are two types of rip qames.

Type1: uses the engine as a backbone
Type2: straight up duplicate with no intentions to do something different minus modifying the admin list.

I am more accepting to the type1's, since they actually do try to "fork" the game into something Different.

Type2 are the scum of the earth, who should be banned IMHO. I have wanted to open source my project for a while now, primarily to attract type 1's, but the sheer number of type2's is disturbing. If only there was a system for this. I remember back in the day there was talk of rips all being under the original games hub as "deviants" or something like that.

Completely Agree

Off Topic - Dont Open Source it only bad can come of it, the game has so much potential and so do you stop being lazy :3
In response to LILMESSI18
LILMESSI18 wrote:
as soon as a kid rips a game he is shunned or thrown the " Just read the Dm Guide you noob"
instead of nurturing them.

All about Morals,Respect and Appreciation which BYOND doesn't have a lot of in my experiences.

One of the things I've learned about BYOND is that people are pretty hard on each other here most of the time. People don't usually sugarcoat what they say. However.. That being said I don't think the BYOND community is unhelpful. It's difficult to find a topic under Developer Help that someone hasn't attempted cracking. So in that regard I think the BYOND community solves the large majority of problems users have.

About rippers not getting help in particular.. Well people like to help things that they feel are going to be successful. Ripped games aren't really a rewarding thing to help, especially when their owner's could have solved the problem themselves had they read the guide or done some basic investigation into it on their own.

Trouble is, people take a game they like and they have a million ideas on all the stuff they want to add, but.. They don't want to have to learn a language to do it. Stuck in a rut these people post their code into the forums and say "Why this no work?" or "How do this?", sometimes really facepalm material. In these cases the only sane thing to do is refer them to the previous help that already exists. I don't think that's a rude thing to do.

Also, ripped code was generally written by people who had as much coding skill as the ripper and is probably a giant pile of crud. Just one more reason people don't like to contribute to it by helping the ripper.
In response to LILMESSI18
Open sourcing on BYOND isn't really practical. The engine does everything for you so there's really nothing to open other than your actual game and if you do that, there will be rips galore surrounding your project.

If kids are going to rip projects to learn, someone may as well develop an open source tutorial project. Something that's well commented from where these kids can actually learn a thing or two... or we can just encourage more use of the Blue Book and Reference, as per usual.
In response to Zecronious
You pretty much stole all of the wind from my sails. I have nothing more to add.
I'm not sure we've ever had a prevalent "spin-off" problem from open sourced BYOND games, so that point may well just be communally reinforced fallacy, by now.
Page: 1 2